PDA

View Full Version : SAM bat markings question

whatupyos
08-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Hello forum members:

I want to know your experience with buying SAM bats. I saw an Eric Byrnes SAM bat that I wanted to buy on EBAY a few weeks ago. It seemed legit to me, the markings and writing on the nob. However, on the end it had the length, weight, date, model number, however instead of a 4-digit batch number it had E.B. For Eric Byrnes I assume. I asked the seller how he obtained the bat and he said from a team source. I have seen people have Albert Pujols bats, some have a 4-digit batch number and one I just saw on EBAY from year 2001 that said A.P., also I have seen a Bonds that said B.B. instead of a batch number. I asked the seller about the E.B. markings and he said that SAM will put a 4-digit batch number for rookies commonly and for Veterans they will put their initials. I wanted to verify that statement so I wrote an Email to SAM bats. A very nice sales lady wrote back very promptly and said that SAM does not put players initals on bats. They will always have a 4-digit batch number. To her knowledge this is done to all MLB issued bats to the players. She told me if I could get the 4 digits on the bat I was looking at that she could verify who ordered the bat. I wrote to the seller again and he could not produce the 4-digit number. Just that it said E.B. So I wrote back to the SAM bat employee and she checked and said again that they should have a 4-digit number on them and if that bat didnt then she'd be very cautious about it and that it didn't come from them. So I didn't buy the bat. I was wondering what others experiences are with the SAM bats you own? I have two Eric Byrnes SAM bats from his A's days and they have the 4 digit batch numbers. Thanks for all help. Rob...perhaps since you know Albert Pujols' equipment pretty well, do you happen to know how Alberts SAM bats are marked on the bottom of the barrell? Thanks again.

Aaron

Birdbats
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Every Sam Bat I own has a "batch" number of three or four digits. That includes both of my Pujols bats.

XPFO
08-16-2007, 09:11 AM
All mine have 4 digit batch numbers.

Rboitano
08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I have seen a few Soriano and Sheffield bats from the last few years that were missing the order number also.

Birdbats
08-21-2007, 08:58 AM
There's a Pujols bat on eBay now that has initials instead of a number. Everything about the bat is consistent with use by Pujols. It's not perfect -- there's a piece missing and it wasn't used much before it was damaged -- but nothing about this bat raises any obvious red flags to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALBERT-PUJOLS-GAME-USED-AUTO-SIG-ROOKIE-YEAR-SAM-BAT_W0QQitemZ280145317549QQihZ018QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

whatupyos
08-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Other than the fact it doesnt have a batch number. And I was told by a representative from SAM that they always put a 4 digit batch number on their player bats, thats the only way to track who ordered the bat.