PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Jordan 1994 Sox Jersey

hblakewolf
08-16-2007, 03:20 PM
As an avid Michae Jordan game worn baseball equipment collector, I've been fortunate enough to obtain a complete White Sox outfit worn by Jordan at Spring Trining, 1994. It includes his black pre-game jersey, grey panst, shoes, hat, wristbands/batting gloves and several bats. I'm still seeking a game worn helmet.

Several of his "game worn" jerseys have surfaced, however, it's interesting to note that Jordan never wore a home, road or black alternate jersey (only wore BP's during spring training) for the White Sox except for one game in 1994, the Windy City Cassic (and a photo shoot for Upper Deck)

Currently on ebay is a "game worn 1994 Jordan black alternate from this specific game":
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250143108769&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:US:11

The seller specifically notes the following:There are Jordan basketball gamers available, however, his baseball jerseys are few and far between. The significance in this is its rarity and that it is a 1994 jersey with the 125th MLB Anniversary patch.

As most advanced Jordan baseball equipment collectors are aware, Jordan's jersey in the 1994 Windy City Classic was VOID of the 125th patch! Interesting that the seller specifically makes note that his has the patch, when every available photo demonstrates the lack of such a patch! Furthermore, the position of the N to the 5 on the back of the shirt is completely diffeent than photos of Jordan at this special game.

The seller was emailed with this information, however, no reply has been received as of this posting.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

skipcareyisfat
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Good points and all, Howard, but at that price why not take the risk? :rolleyes:

gr8soxfan
08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/chisox/Jordancws.JPG
No Patch at all.
Here's Jordan in a home White pin stipe jersey
http://thingstohear.com/jordanwsox.jpg

gr8soxfan
08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
This beckett was from April of 94
http://pics2.spoonfeeder.com/AieFTPFiles/AIEUser/YU8D3G5MSZ5Q/ZKG458UEZJ8Y.jpg

karamaxjoe
08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
The home white is most likely a Birmingham Barons jersey.

Mike

hblakewolf
08-16-2007, 06:39 PM
The home white is most likely a Birmingham Barons jersey.

Mike

The baseball card of Jordan in the home uniform was taken for the 1993 Upper Deck WHITE SOX TOP PROSPECTS card.

Note he is wearing #23. He wore #45 with the Sox, and also in Birmingham.

Again, Jordan did not wear a game jersey (only BP jersey) while with the Sox in 1994 at spring training. He did, however, wear the black alternate jersey for one day in 1994, during the Windy City Classic, as noted.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

karamaxjoe
08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Howard,
What do you think the Becketts cover is from?

Mike

hblakewolf
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Another "Jordan White sox home gamer" currently on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320218173533

Can someone explain why a 1991 White Sox jersey (sleeve patch) has 1994 tagging? Also, if indeed it is from 1994, where is the 125th Anniversary sleeve patch?

Size 44? Wilson tag in the collar, yet the strip tag in the tail?

Jordan played one game in 1994 with the Sox, and wore the black alternate jersey void of the 125th patch. All other activity with the Sox in spring training saw him wearing his black mesh pre-game jersey.

The seller indicates in the description that it was obtained from the White Sox, yet when I questioned him, he notes, "Dear hblakewolf,
My best friend works for the sox and got this jersey ditectly from MJ. Sorry for the confusion..." All of these issues were emailed to the seller, with the lone response noted above.

Possibly a Forum reader with knowledge of White Sox jerseys from this era can add to this thread.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

otismalibu
02-17-2008, 12:18 PM
I emailed that seller about his Barkley jersey a few weeks back, telling him it was a custom job with the wrong number style, IMO.

karamaxjoe
02-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Howard,
The patch on the sleeve is not the 91 variety, but the correct Comiskey patch for 1994. The strip tag is also correct for a Wilson jersey from 1994.

The Wilson tag in the collar looks more like a retail tag and should be in the tail above the strip tag.

If I had to guess what this jersey is, I would say it was created for a photo shoot for Jordan or someone's creation.

Mike

trsent
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I have found that the one person who knows more about Chicago White Sox jerseys over their history than anyone would be Dave Miedema. You can email him at sox83cubs84@hotmail.com as he knows more about their tagging history than anyone I have ever dealt with.

Last year when I bought about 50 White Sox gamers from a former executive, Dave was more than helpful with his help in identifying the jerseys manufactures, tags and specifics.

I have no opinion on the Michael Jordan jersey in question, but even if the jersey was never worn, I would assume the team made up some jerseys for him hoping he would appear in a MLB game that season. That would make sense.

hblakewolf
02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I've communicated for years with Dave Miedema, and we discussed this particular jersey today.

I am fortunate enough to own Jordan's 1994 pre-game jersey, and the tagging is shown below.

Although my jersey is a Russell, it's hard to believe Jordan could wear a size 44 in any brand for the 1994 season.

Based on known White Sox gamers, Dave said "no way" to the shirt in question, simply based on the size 44.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
see this post:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=58614&postcount=3

for spring training 1994, the sox placed an order, for jordan, for 2 home jerseys. 46+2. the order sheet also specified that the MLB 125 patch be added to all jerseys. in 94 then, the white ordered and presumably received two 46+2, #45, jordan home jerseys with the 125 patch. i wonder whatever happened to them.

the tagging on howard's black alt is consistent with the format shown on the white sox russell order sheet.

for most of the 90s, the sox used both wilson and russell for their home, road, and alt jerseys. players wore whatever they felt like. in a single game, you'd have half the team in russell and the other have in wilson.

mike: on 1994 baseball gamers, what distinguishes a retail wilson tag from a pro wilson tag?

rudy.

karamaxjoe
02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Rudy,
Since the style of Wilson tag on the Jordan jersey didn't match the correct Wilson tag for that era, I was making an educated guess.

What's your opinion on the Jordan Wilson tag? The White Sox hadn't used any type of collar tag since 1981 and the Jordan Wilson tag doesn't look like a pro jersey tag.

Mike

G1X
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Does anyone have any information about the Beckett cover with Jordan wearing the #23 white home pinstripe Russell jersey?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

kingjammy24
02-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Rudy,
Since the style of Wilson tag on the Jordan jersey didn't match the correct Wilson tag for that era, I was making an educated guess.

What's your opinion on the Jordan Wilson tag? The White Sox hadn't used any type of collar tag since 1981 and the Jordan Wilson tag doesn't look like a pro jersey tag.

Mike

i think the wilson tag is appropriate for the era. whether it's appropriate for the white sox is another matter. long story short, wilson used different styles of pro tags simultaneously.
long story: in the early-mid 90s, wilson supplied the white sox and the blue jays. for the jays, wilson had always put the tag in the collar (except for 1990). for the white sox, it seems wilson typically put it on the body. some time around '86, wilson came up with the "prestige teams" tag. they used the "prestige teams" label for their 80s yankees jerseys as well as the early-mid 90s white sox jerseys and 80s-90s braves jerseys.
at the same time, wilson was also using another style of tag on their 1988+ blue jays jerseys - the "plastic" style seen on the ebay jordan home white jersey. wilson used the "prestige teams" label on white sox and yankees jerseys and the "plastic" style on blue jays. post 1986, i believe the yankees jerseys never saw the plastic wilson tag and the jays never saw the "prestige teams" tag.
in my experience, the correct style of wilson tag for early-mid 90s white sox gamers would be the "prestige teams" style of tag.
i don't believe the tag seen on the ebay home white jersey is a retail tag as it was used on blue jays gamers. in 1994, when wilson was supplying both the jays and the white sox, here's what gamers from each team looked like (notice the embroidery is identical):

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4653/sillyps9.jpg

both styles of wilson tags are pro tags and both are appropriate for the era. the real question is whether a 1994 white sox gamer should be tagged in the collar and whether the tag should be a plastic tag or a "prestige teams" tag. personally, if i were shopping for a '94 whitesox gamer, i'd want a "prestige teams" tag sewn in the body.

rudy.

karamaxjoe
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Rudy,
Thanks for your input. I can add that I've never seen the "plastic" Wilson tag on a White Sox jersey. Also, I would personally stay away from any White Sox jersey tagged in the collar after 1981.

I can't say I've seen too many of those plastic tags and I had to check a couple old catalogs to find one. Mid 90s Jays jerseys are few and far between.

How does the "plastic" tag fit into the primer you created some time ago. I guess it's safe to say there's always some kind of exception to the rule.

Mike

5kRunner
02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Am I hallucinating, or does the "5" on both the front and the back look to be a brighter white than the "4"? Anyone else see it?

kingjammy24
02-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Rudy,
Thanks for your input. I can add that I've never seen the "plastic" Wilson tag on a White Sox jersey. Also, I would personally stay away from any White Sox jersey tagged in the collar after 1981.

I can't say I've seen too many of those plastic tags and I had to check a couple old catalogs to find one. Mid 90s Jays jerseys are few and far between.

How does the "plastic" tag fit into the primer you created some time ago. I guess it's safe to say there's always some kind of exception to the rule.

Mike

when i did the primer, i specified that it was for jerseys tagged in the body because i knew that those tagged in the collar differed. in terms of the primer, i suppose if you were to include jerseys tagged in the collar into it, then you'd simply incorporate the concurrent use of the plastic tag from 1988-1994 and a collar "flag tag" style of tag from 1995-1999 (see below), in addition to the body tags used during those years.

it's true that most of wilson's MLB offerings in the late 80s-90s were tagged in the body and therefore used the "prestige teams" label. the jays seem to be a bit of an anomaly in that case. i've never seen a "prestige teams" label in the collar.

re: wilson retail jerseys from the late-80s-90s
i don't remember wilson really have a strong or even decent retail MLB offering during those years. if a team was supplied by wilson during those years and you wanted one of their retail jerseys, then you'd most likely only be able to find a russell. russell made retail jerseys for teams they had no pro contract for.

anyway, here's a wilson primer for jays jerseys. i should shed on some insight on this whole issue. check out the 1995-1999 collar tag. there's another new one for you. for other teams during '95-99, wilson probably just used the "prestige teams" label.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9051/sillyod4.jpg

rudy.