PDA

View Full Version : Another JSA "Authentication Mistake" ?

sammy
08-18-2007, 11:29 AM
This has been authenticated by JSA as an authentic Ken Griffey Jr. autograph.

In my opinion it is garbage.

http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=ItemDetails&Userid=0&Category=0&CategoryID=52&CategoryName=FEATURED%20ITEMS&ItemID=12 (http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=ItemDetails&Userid=0&Category=0&CategoryID=52&CategoryName=FEATURED%20ITEMS&ItemID=12)

http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/ItemImgs/Griffey%20k%20auto%20gu%20bat%202.JPG

G1X
08-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Sammy,

Have you contacted Bricol with your concerns? If so, what did they say?

I have had 100% success through the years in having Bricol pull items (football) where I could provide Brian with solid evidence that the item was not legitimate.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

sammy
08-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Unlike equipment, which is verified via factual documentation, autographs are based on opinions.

Some people believe a JSA letter will make an item authentic.

G1X
08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Sammy,

If you feel that the signature doesn't look right and you have valid examples of Griffey's legitimate signature, then why not notify Brian? Include your examples and point out what you believe are the obvious differences in the signature. It's no different than questioning an equipment authenticator's opinion.

Brian may or may not drop the item, but in my experiences, he will listen and always investigate if it is brought to his attention. It's fine to point out things in this Forum (although I believe there are Forum rules on this matter that you have not followed), but nothing will change if you do not present your findings to the auction house.

My apologies if it sounds like I'm preaching, but it is Sunday morning.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

sammy
08-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Here are fourteen, 100 percent without a doubt, Ken Griffey Jr. UDA autographs, and the one authenticated by JSA.

The game is, pick the questionable one.

ChrisCavalier
08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Sammy,

If you feel that the signature doesn't look right and you have valid examples of Griffey's legitimate signature, then why not notify Brian? Include your examples and point out what you believe are the obvious differences in the signature. It's no different than questioning an equipment authenticator's opinion.

Brian may or may not drop the item, but in my experiences, he will listen and always investigate if it is brought to his attention.
Hello Sammy,

I will need to agree with Mark on this point. Specifically, here is the forum rule regarding questioning items:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

This rule applies to any item whether it is a game used item, an autograph or a cartoon drawing. Given Brian at Bricol has proven to be responsive to item inquires, we will need to ask that you contact Brian and allow for a response if you would like this thread to remain on the site.

Sincerely,
Chris

sammy
08-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Brian has been contacted and referred to this site.

Some things are just plain obvious even to the novice.

It gets really old pointing out garbage from the so called leading hobby authentication experts, be it in game used material or autographs.

ChrisCavalier
08-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Brian has been contacted and referred to this site.
Sammy,

Thank you very much for contacting Brian. As Mark mentioned, I think there is a strong likelihood that he will look into it. Please let us know if you hear anything back as I'm sure collectors will appreciate any additional information regarding this item.

Sincerely,
Chris

b.heagy
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Looks like a Griffey Sr sig to me. with the exception of the J of course.

33bird
08-19-2007, 06:58 PM
That's exactly right. That's his dad's autograph. I have many. Do you think someone added the Jr at the end? Crazy.
Greg

sammy
08-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Well, it has been four days since Mr. Bricole was informed of this, and the only thing that has changed is the day of the week. The auction still states there is a "superb gold pen signature on the barrel". It just omits the fact that it isn't Ken Griffey Jr's autograph, even though it states Jimmy Spence authenticated it as so.

Perhaps the uninformed bidders would also be interested in the Ken Griffey Jr game used jersey Mr. Bricole also has on auction with a letter from world renowned authenticator, the fabulous, Lou "Never Met A Jersey I Didn't Like" Lampson.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10005 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10005)

I assume my evidence wasn't solid enough for Mr. Bricole, as you provide Mr. Hayne.

I have had 100% success through the years in having Bricol pull items (football) where I could provide Brian with solid evidence that the item was not legitimate.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

G1X
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Sammy,

I can only speak from my own experiences. For me, calling rather than emailing seems to be more effective. This seems to be true not only with Bricol, but with others as well. But again, I can speak only from my own experiences.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

G1X
08-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Sammy,

I forgot to mention in my previous post. When communicating with Brian, it might be useful to know that his name is Brian Collard. The name of the auction house is Bricol (not Bricole) which is derived from the first three letters of his first name and the first three letters of his last name.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

ChrisCavalier
08-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Sammy,

Thanks for the update and thanks again for contacting Brian. In addition, I'd like to add that Mark was making his suggestion based on his previous experience and it was intended to help address the situation and help the collecting community overall. While I don't think it was your intention, when I read your post it kind of came across as a criticism of Mark for making the suggestion. Again, I'm sure that wasn't your intent but if you could please take these things into account when posting in the future it would be greatly appreciated.

Simply put, Mark was only trying to help.

Sincerely,
Chris

hblakewolf
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Well, it has been four days since Mr. Bricole was informed of this, and the only thing that has changed is the day of the week. The auction still states there is a "superb gold pen signature on the barrel". It just omits the fact that it isn't Ken Griffey Jr's autograph, even though it states Jimmy Spence authenticated it as so.

Perhaps the uninformed bidders would also be interested in the Ken Griffey Jr game used jersey Mr. Bricole also has on auction with a letter from world renowned authenticator, the fabulous, Lou "Never Met A Jersey I Didn't Like" Lampson.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10005 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10005)

I assume my evidence wasn't solid enough for Mr. Bricole, as you provide Mr. Hayne.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Sammy/Mark-
As noted above, the Griffey Jr. jersey is absolute garbage. Not only did I attend a good amount of Mariner's games in 1989 and 1990, I personally have never seen Griffey Jr. wear a shirt with JR. on the plate or viewed a single photo of him wearing such a jersey. This information, and a supporting photo of Griffey Jr. and Sr. walking togther in 1990 was sent to Brian. The photo shows both Griffey's simply wearing jerseys with GRIFFEY on back-no SR. or JR. on either. This photo was also placed here on the Universe under another thread.

As of this post, the shirt has not been removed, the description updated and no response from Bricol.

Nice authentication work, Lampson.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

sammy
08-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Mark, thanks for the update on Brian's name. Forgot about that.

Chris, no disrespect intended toward Mark, or did the thought even cross my mind. Just stating that my information to Brian did not have the same results as Mark's.

Howard, just thought I would give your thread a bump into this one, as these are related items.

woodbat
08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Can offer this autographed ball of Ken Griffey Jr. My son had Jr and his daddy autograph it at a Dec. 1990 show in Memphis. Have two shots of the ball and a photo of Jr, my son is standing behind him. No COA or LOA, just a photo and memory, collecting for fun... Probably somewhere I have the show brochure. Maybe these autographs will in some way help.

woodbat@bellsouth.net

sammy
08-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Well, it appears that regardless of the factual evidence you present to show something is trash, money takes precedent over ethics.

Bricol auctions was informed the Ken Griffey, Jr "alleged" autograph on the Ken Griffey, Jr "alleged" game used bat was an undeniable forgery, regardless of what Jimmy Spence or JSA states.

Instead of doing the right and honorable thing, the auction remained as listed.

Some uninformed individual, who probably thinks the JSA letter means something is real, ends up spending about 650.00 for this piece of firewood.