PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bonds Bat Moral Question

EurekaDave
08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I have a Bobby Bonds game-used bat. There is a possibility that I could give it personally to Barry Bonds who could:

1. Take it and tell me to go away
2. Take it and thank me
3. Not take it and tell me to go away

Or I could just keep it...

What would you do in that situation?

grandpahoo
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
What would you do in that situation?

Anything that would keep me from having to meet Barry Bonds.

godwulf
08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
If it were something really unique, and the player in question was somebody I really thought a lot of, then I'd probably risk having the item rejected and/or getting my feelings hurt, and go for it.

In this case, my guess is that Bonds probably has as many of his dad's bats as he wants - and if not, certainly the financial means to get them. His acceptance of the gift, along with his attitude in doing so, would probably depend greatly on how he felt at that exact moment...and just from what I've read, that could vary pretty widely.

The one and only time I ever spoke to the man was when I was working as an alarm company dispatcher while going to school, and we used to remotely monitor some of the gated communities in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Bonds was in town for Spring Training, and drove up to the gate behind which the house he was renting was located, and didn't have the password to get in. I expected him to have a full-blown hissy-fit, but he was very cool and said he understood; I was so surprised, I accidentally pushed the button to open the gate and let him in, at which point he must have imagined that I was some kind of idiot.

CansecoPower33
08-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Chop it up, use it for firewood, and send Barry a photo of yourself all warm and cozy by the fireside.

MooseDog
08-23-2007, 10:21 PM
You forgot

4) He could take it and not thank you.

While it's a very nice gesture, I wonder if Bonds would think you have an ulterior motive. It's just the way he thinks. He thinks only about Barry and nothing else.

If you would get some personal satisfaction out of doing this, then I say go ahead and do it. It's certainly a kind and compassionate gesture from a fan, something I am sure most athletes and celebs these days don't usually see. However I would go into this not expecting any response whatsoever from Bonds. If that bothers you, then DON'T DO IT.

At worst you give away a nice bat to a self-absorbed, rich, jerk.

At best, he is touched by the gesture and gives you something of his.

tym
08-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I say keep it and feel good that you thought about it. Based on my interactions w/ him and other stories I have heard I dont think he would appreciate it.

Anyway he can afford to buy his daddies bats if he really wanted too.....

Cheers,
Ty

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Paint it to look like a giant syringe and send it to Barry......

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/ac/fd/f1bc_1.JPG

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6649&stc=1&d=1186594681

allstarsplus
08-25-2007, 07:53 AM
I say keep it and feel good that you thought about it. Based on my interactions w/ him and other stories I have heard I dont think he would appreciate it.

Anyway he can afford to buy his daddies bats if he really wanted too.....

Cheers,
Ty I agree with Ty. I think it is one of the nicest things you can do for a player or his family is present them with something significant you collected of theirs. I have personally done this and it is a wonderful gesture.

One of my best friend's father played for the Washington Redskins in the 1950's and early 1960's. He was an All Pro a couple of years and in those days they weren't handed any jerseys to keep so his "own" collection consisted of a helmet and a Pro Bowl team signed ball and some Post Cereal and Topps cards. John Paluck Sr. passed away in 2003 and though most people have no idea who this man is today, to a son, he was the greatest there was.

John Jr. asked for my help in finding a jersey of his dad. Keep in mind that vintage Redskins items are huge dollars and John Sr. probably only wore 20 jerseys or less in his entire career including college at Pitt.

We found a referral to a collector who worked for a laundry company back in the 60's that had dozens of jerseys which included one of his dad's jerseys!!!! Call it luck or call it fate! The man literally lived 5 miles away and agreed to sell it to him for a bargain price. The story would have had a magical ending if the man handed him the jersey at no cost, but he did discount the jersey far below what it would sell for at auction.

This story is much different than Bonds as Bobby's items are more easily collectible and Barry has the financial resources to obtain any items he desires.

Andrew