X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigcatbaseball
    Banned
    • Aug 2005

UPS Theft

I just received an empty bat tube delivered by UPS. The best I can tell, someone at UPS opened the tube, removed the Jeff Kent game used bat and replaced the bat with rolled up plastic trash bags. They left the LOA behind. This sounds like a similar situation with another collector who lost Soriano bats rcently through UPS. I hope this is not a trend but I have some concerns that this might become an issue for other collectors. I have not been able to discuss this with UPS but I dont have any real hope in finding the bat as this is not a simple case of a lost item in transit but the deliberate act of a disreputable SOB.
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: UPA Theft

This is certaining a disturbing trend.

Chris, Rob, or Eric,

Is there some sort of medium beside the forum that we can advertise the fact that this is happening. Perhaps a little negative publicity for UPS would make them look into this and crack down on these crimes.

David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• psmachetti
      • Nov 2005

Anybody that sends their items UPS instead of USPS is out of their minds!
      I've heard more horror stories from collectors who've used UPS, than I can count.
      paul

Comment

• aeneas01
        • May 2007

a burgeoning trend? i highly doubt it. i mean consider for a moment just how lucky a crooked ups guy would have to be in order to nab a valuable bat out of the 15 million plus packages ups handles each and every day - he would be better off buying a lottery ticket. jmo.

and, fwiw, i've owned my busines for 12 years and have shipped and received thousands of packages via ups during this time and not once has a package been lost. maybe i'm just lucky.
        robert

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
          • Oct 2005

Back in 1999, I ordered a special custom made police ring from a company. One day the company called and said that the ring had been stolen by one of the UPS delivery drivers. Seems that he picked up a ton of rings one day and took off with everything. It later turned up in an Ohio pawn shop where it was purchased by the owner from some crackhead off the street.

People will steal anything.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
            • Oct 2005

Bigcat - what was the starting and ending destination for your bat? Since Andrew had one stolen by UPS, maybe there's a common location that these bats are traveling through.............

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

The last few packages i recieved from Steiner if memory serves me correct only contained their address w/ no company name. Its more likely that a UPS or anyone else looking at a return address which has the name of a Sports Memoribilia company will be more tempted to steal what is in the box. Perhaps more dealers should do the same?

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago i receive a bat in a "Louisville Slugger" box via UPS so i feel very fortunate it made it here with the contents in tack.

David
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Birdbats
                • Nov 2005

Re: UPS Theft

A couple years back, I bought a jersey from College Jersey.com and when it showed up, the box was empty. It looked like someone just punched the box and grabbed whatever was inside. Luckily, College Jersey had another shirt like the one that was stolen and replaced it with no hassle -- I assume they handled the claim with UPS. At the time, the box had a College Jersey.com return address label, so it was kind of obvious what was inside. Not sure they use those labels anymore.
                Jeff Scott
                birdbats@charter.net
                http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• W_EISENHUTH
                  • Sep 2005

Whether using UPS,USPS, FED EX or any other delivery service, always PURCHASE INSURANCE! The USPS tracking system is worthless IMHO at least with UPS you can track the package every step of the way. I've found them to be much more reliable than the USPS.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                    • Nov 2005

I prefer shipping Fedex, although their insurance policy isn't as liberal as UPS, they have been more reliable for me as a shipper.

Most of the people I purchase from use UPS and I will let you know how my Soriano "missing" bat plays out with them and insurance, etc.

The one thing I do now is sign in person for all of my items as I don't want packages left at the door.

Andrew
                    Regards,
                    Andrew Lang
                    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                    202-716-8500

Comment

• beavisrules
                      • Sep 2006

I've not yet had a problem with UPS delivered items as far as contents stolen - granted, we're not talking about a huge volume of stuff like some of you folks deal with on a regular basis, but everything I've gotten from collegejersey had arrived ok (although the collegejersey brown boxes looked like they'd be used as a baseball when i got them, but at least the jerseys were all there).

Birdbats, collegejersey changed the boxes they use to ship jerseys (at least recently in my last few purchases). Previously, they were oversized brown boxes that you could easily open without much effort. Lately, they've been the boxes similar to those that USPS gives away for priority mail - someone would have to blatantly rip open the box to steal the jerseys now, fwiw.
                      -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
                      Private messages ARE enabled

Comment

• cjmedina1
                        • Oct 2005

Bigcatbaseball

When I'm dealing with a MaC bat I would rather have my bat shipped over night.I never had a problem.However I did have a problem with the post office when it was shipped regular mail.

Carlie Medina III
                        carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

BTW I hate the inconsistencies of Airports Security.

Comment

• Sheffield11
                          • Mar 2006

I feel that it would be much harder for someone to open a tightly and well wrapped package, this is why i use several layers of tape and always insure. If you use several layers of tape and the package is still tampered with it is much more obvious foul play is involved.
                          Anthony Bragg

Comment

• imlemonysnicket
                            • Aug 2005

This recently happened to a box my dad sent back to a collector in the NY/NJ area. The box contained 2 Pujols game bats and a Soriano bat. When the customer received his bats back, the Soriano was not in the box. There was a slit cut into the box and taped back up. I guess the police have been contacted and UPS is investigating (whatever that means). Apparently, this has happened to other collectors in the area.

brett
                            brett
                            http://www.playokantiques.com

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                              • Oct 2005

Another missing Soriano?

Methinks somethings amiss here!

Comment

Working...