PDA

View Full Version : I finally got one!

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 08:52 AM
A few months ago, I spotted a sign just like this one on ebay. I thought that the starting price was too high. I think it was something like $70 at the time. Well, I played the fool because there was a bidding war and if I remember correctly, it sold for something like $170 or maybe it was even higher.

I just saw this one on ebay with a BIN for $99. I think with a nice frame and mat, it will make a great display piece. Its 10" by 15" in size.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/83/08/a170_1.JPG

staindsox
08-23-2007, 12:22 PM
How old is it? How rare are they? Is it supposed to be original? FYI, you might want to go on to Network 54 and ask about it. There have been a flood of fake advertising pieces hitting the market in the past 6 months. For example, look at all the Christy Mathewson "Fan for a Fan" pieces that have shown up. An original is $10,000, but "originals" have magically been selling for $50-100 on eBay. I thought they said somebody around Kentucky was producing high-end fakes. Just wanted to warn you.

Chris

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
It was described as being a "vintage" piece "from the 1920's". I think its actually 1930's or so but it looks just like all of those that I have seen before. I have been looking for the other auctions in the past on ebay and they have all been removed since they were months ago.

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I couldnt find anything on Net 54....got a specific link I should look at ?

both-teams-played-hard
08-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Ask the folks on the vintage forum, they'll know in a New York second. Its a cool display piece, but I think the stains look contrived, and therefore not an original. I hope for your sake that its the real deal!

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Actually, I dont see any stains. I think thats just the picture. The auction does state that there is a smal white paint mark in the upper left which can be seen in the pic. I'm going to pay with paypal and if its not the real deal, I can file a dispute with them I guess. It clearly states that its a vintage piece from the '20's. Nothing in the auction says that its a repro.

staindsox
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Just post the photo on the Network 54 site and the link to the auction. They are amazing. I don't mean to rain on your day and would hope that I am wrong, but I'm guessing that it isn't genuine. I would think one of those would go for far more than $100. Just post on the site, they know everything. Good luck!

Chris

sylbry
08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree with Chris. The seller "olebbstuff" is the guy who is flooding the market with reproductions.

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
The concensus from Net 54 is that its a repro. I've emailed the seller asking for clarification.

Luckily I havent sent any money yet.

Thanks
Jim

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Here is his reply:

We bought it and many other similar type items in Louisville at an Antique show last December. We have sold numerous items from that collection without any questions regarding authenticity. We are not experts on every item ever produced,no one is and i suspect neither are your few friends. For someone to look at a picture and somehow feel an item is a modern reproduction has to be extremely gifted. We purchased the item as original, it looks original, it feels original, thats all i can tell you. If you are uncomfortable with that let me know.

staindsox
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't pay them and file with eBay. If you have paid, file with Paypal and get your money back...both will back you. Even if they didn't know what it was, which is a lie, it turned out to be a forgery. They can't sell a bogus item. Just like if you try to pass a bogus $100 bill...even if you didn't know it was fake, it's still your problem. I think it was the same seller who sold the Matty fans for $50. I think I've seen one in the past 15 years and then 30 have popped up in the past 6 months. If it were legit, I guarantee it would end up in Robert Edward. That must be one hell of a flea market or whatever they claim. I'm sure they also found the original copy of the Declaration of Independence there for $10 and maybe Van Gogh for $35.95

Vintagedeputy
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I havent paid him and dont intend to, although he did send me an invoice after I told him that it was a repro.

sylbry
08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
This guy has been peddling these repros for a very long time. His descriptions are very carefully written to give you the sense that it is an authentic but never states it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Babe-Ruth-Louisville-Slugger-1920s-Cardboard-Sign_W0QQitemZ230163545723QQihZ013QQcategoryZ50133 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is his neutral and negs.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=olebbstuff&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

ironmanfan
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
This seller is one to avoid...He cuts full page ads from old publications (such as The Sporting News) and advertises them as displays & signs.

This LS repro sign falls under the "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Believe me this guy is savy enough that if he had a real one he certainly would sell it for a lot more than $99 "Buy It Now."