PDA

View Full Version : Football Helmet collectors...

Larry Pelliccioni
08-26-2007, 09:44 AM
...I would suggest a dwindling, if not a dying breed!
Why...ebay, fraud and general mistrust.
A lack of understanding?
Price?
With over 400 in my collection, I wonder when the time comes whether they all need to be DNA'd, authenticated, identified or if on reputation people will accept what I put together and be willing to pony up fair value.
I recently sold my USFL collection for a very fair price to a very low maintenance buyer but my fear is that I will do a lot of work for little return and that this is a segment of our hobby that has eroded over time.
Please share your thoughts, thank you.
Larry Pelliccioni

RKGIBSON
10-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Larry

Do you have a list of helmets you might have for sale? Anything with documentation?

Roger

34swtns
10-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Larry

Do you have a list of helmets you might have for sale? Anything with documentation?

Roger

Roger,
Are you trying to be ironic? :p
Now that's funny stuff.

Larry,
Unfortunately, with the advent of ebay and the confluence of fraudulant dirtbags it gave birth to, this is what we're all looking at, now and in the future. I too, have many NFL game jerseys bought without so much as a cheesy homemade "COA" from honest sellers whom I've trusted but with only the knowledge that the seller had integrity and the jersey would authenticate itself upon inspection. This is no longer acceptible. If I were to sell many of my jerseys I would have to pay to have them "authenticated" so as not to be confused with the aforementioned dirtbags.

RKGIBSON
10-03-2007, 08:10 AM
A tracable history is acceptable for me on most items. I buy from persons that I know have connections and have not been disappointed. When I cannot be told the history of any item then it is up to me to have enough knowledge to make a good decision. Unfortunatly, not being able to examine items personally I seldom take a chance. I do have guys that will send me stuff to examine before I buy. I do the same with some also. You would hope that when you get a item that is not what it was represented as, or you do not like it, the seller will take it back and refund your money. So that puts us to looking for items with documentation, to protect ourself.

Roger

Larry Pelliccioni
12-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Roger,
I understand your concerns and it is obvious to me that your comments are well thought out and sincere. I have been collecting for over 34 years and as it relates to football helmets, it is the one area I dearly love to collect for myself.
I can send you a link to some I have for sale should you care to email me at llpell@wowway.com
I also can furnish references from those that I have dealt with and have become friends as opposed to clients.
Finally, if you want, I can call you to discuss the good side of helmet collecting and the concerns that I have had over the years.
Larry Pelliccioni