PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Lots 26,33,50 + 62

Fred
08-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Lot 26 1969-70 SF Warriors Jerry Lucas Warm Up Jacket.This style jacket was not worn in 1969 and the Wilson tag is identical to the tag on a 1965-66 Rick Barry jersey from Braodway Rick's auction last year.The Wilson tag on 1969 Warriors uniforms and warm ups had Wilson in red script with the wash instructions on the tag.The jackets that were worn in 1969 are much closer to the jacket in lot 65.This can be seen in the history section of the Warriors website.This jacket looks to be from 1965-66 worn by McCoy McLemore as he wore number 32 that year.
Lot 33 1967 Wilt Chamberlain All Star Jersey.This is a 1968 All Star jersey.The game in 1968 was played in New York and has a Gerry Cosby tag as was common on Knicks jerseys.There should also be a set of stripes on the sides of the jersey.The 1967 All Star game was played in San Francisco and the Warriors colors were used.
Lot 50 Circa 1973 Willis Reed Shorts.The shorts are from 1970-71 as they have the sliver anniversary patch.
Lot 62 Mel Davis Knicks jersey.According to the Knicks Media Guide Mel Davis wore number 31.Henry Bibby wore number 17 for two seasons that they were both playing for the Knicks.

both-teams-played-hard
08-26-2007, 02:33 PM
This jacket looks to be from 1965-66 worn by McCoy McLemore as he wore number 32 that year.

Fred
I remember a couple of years ago, this jacket first sold on eBay. I bid (and lost) and before the auction ended, I identified the warm up as being from McLemore (the eBay seller made no mention of the player). You are right about the Bibby/Davis number issue, but remember, players often changed numbers and this wasn't mentioned in the media guides. GREAT JOB on the identifications!
Now is the time to submit your application to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield...they need a new authenticator!

Eric
08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Fred-

If you haven't done so already, please email rich russek at grey flannel with your concerns. Let us know what he says
Thanks
Eric

Fred
08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
I did get a response from Rich today.He thanked me for the research and said he would address the issues shortly.He also wanted to know more about me and asked why I would spend so much time on the auction.BTPH, you must have a sixth sense as he also mentioned that if my efforts are sincere he would consider me doing some work for him.

both-teams-played-hard
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I did get a response from Rich today.He thanked me for the research and said he would address the issues shortly.He also wanted to know more about me and asked why I would spend so much time on the auction.BTPH, you must have a sixth sense as he also mentioned that if my efforts are sincere he would consider me doing some work for him.
I hope Mr. Russek's reply was sincere. I hope he wasn't implying that you spent too much time researching HIS auctions. I'm glad you got a response. The folks at Grey Flannel read this forum. Shouldn't they? Isn't free information a good buy? Besides the sketchy Worthy, GFC has some super nice hoop jerseys in their current auction. The key is weeding out the "sketchies", so the relics aren't tainted. Did anyone see the new consigments from Nate Thurmond himself? They're BEAUTIFUL! Incredible stuff...The so-called Jerry Lucas, is in fact, from McClemore. Besides the UnWorthy, I cannot find any glaring bad shirts. There is a 1989-90 Isiah Thomas that appears to be a store-bought with a name added (this is just my opinion and I would honor the word of someone who has inspected the shirt in person, because I have not). There are some items that are mis-identified, but still a monumental basketball selection.
The Lakers Mikan (as discussed in another thread) is identified for the incorrect season.
Lot #77 Denver Rockets ABA Warm-Up is listed as having no manufacturer's tags. However, it is Made by Powers, MFG.
http://img104.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/08/28/powerstag-47n6cxbzt.jpg
The Denver Rockets McFarland(lot #93) is also made by Powers. Lot #100, Baltimore Claws prototype was distributed by Brooks Robinson sporting goods, but is made by Powers. The word "POWERS" is printed above the size directly underneath where the flag-tag is sewn to the jersey.
The San Diego Sails Warm Up is a piece of basketball history. It is decribed as being made by "Spanjan". The company's name is "Spanjian" (there's and "i" there).
http://img108.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/08/28/sailsspanjian-47n6fhthb.jpg
The company was founded by Robert Spanjian (Armenian name-pronounced like Tarkanian). Many, many folks make this mistake. Just a copy error, having nothing to do with the authenticity. I am an avid collector and researcher of Powers and Spanjian products.
These are small errors, but the authenticators for the Basketball Hall of Fame need to be on their toes.

Fred
08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
I spoke to Rich about the items in his auction that I brought to his attention.He was very professional.He said that he spoke to Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond about the Lucas warm up(he is friends with them).He said that they both told him that there have been times when an older warm up jacket was worn by a player He changed his description of the jacket to mention that it may have been worn by McCoy McLemore.
With regard to the '67 All Star jersey,he knew it was from the 67-68 season and thought that he mentioned in the description that the game was played in NY.He has now added that to the description of the jersey.Circa 1973 has been changed to '70-'71 on the Reed shorts.He also told me that he pulled the Davis jersey before I brought it to his attention.He also mentioned that palyers have been known to waer different numbers outside of their regular uniform number.The knicks media guide does list players that had more than one uniform number.Mel Davis is listed as only wearing number 31.
b-t-p-h Thank you for your kind words.

both-teams-played-hard
08-31-2007, 09:00 PM
I spoke to Rich about the items in his auction that I brought to his attention.He was very professional.He said that he spoke to Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond about the Lucas warm up(he is friends with them).He said that they both told him that there have been times when an older warm up jacket was worn by a player He changed his description of the jacket to mention that it may have been worn by McCoy McLemore.
Always glad to post about vintage basketball.

This is an original negative from the Topps company from the pre-season of 1974. The photo is of rookie Steve Smith. Smith never made the team. A card of Smith was not produced. The Topps photo-shoot was at the Palace of Fine Art in S.F. Notice Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond in the background feeding ducks in the lake. This is one of my favorite photos and don't have nearly enough excuses to post:

http://img104.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/08/31/watermarkthurmondberryducks-47oej98tk.jpg