PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's class act and class clown...

JETEFAN
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Who do you think is Baseball's class act (Good for the game) and who's the class clown (Bad for baseball). Do you think either way influences the price of their game used items? I'll start, Jeter class act and Bonds class clown.

yanks12025
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I say Jeter also. And i have to go with Manny for the class clown. I dont like the hole Manny being Manny thing.

Vintagedeputy
08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Class Acts-

Derek Jeter - no question, one of the best ambassadors of the game

Brian Schneider (Nationals) - he's another quiet leader who is a class guy

Roger Clemens - despite his few detractors, he is a class act

Manny Acta - if you ever have the chance to watch his post game press conference, he acts the way a manager should, win or lose.

Class Clown-

Manny Ramirez, hands down winner - he dresses like a gangbanger. I think he's the one who started the whole du rag thing with the baseball logo.

Barry Bonds - He's a bum

hblakewolf
08-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Worst player/explayer ever met:

Hnads down, ex-Phillies pitcher Rick Wise. Current pitching coach in the Independant League.

http://lancasterbarnstormers.com/coaches.cfm

I have NEVER seen him sign at our ball park or even at his....NEVER. When asked, he either pushes the card away or looks little kids in the face and says "NO". I have his 1971 Phillies no hitter jersey and hat, and he refused to sign either item (I've asked quite a few times over the last 4 seasons).

After one game at our ballpark, he was walking to the bus and said, "I'm signing one autograph tonight....who's the lucky fan". He then kept walking and never signed.

In my opinion, he's a bitter old man, who can't get over the fact that he never made big $$$ and also has never advanced to a MLB pitching coach position.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

jon_8_us
08-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I say Jeter also. And i have to go with Manny for the class clown. I dont like the hole Manny being Manny thing.

Manny being Manny includes being the most productive right handed hitter in baseball over the past dozen years so i'll take the clown act even though it's absolutely harmless to anyone and he is a model citizen.Below are some REAL clowns:

Class Act: Jeter,David Ortiz,and "The Mayor" Sean Casey

Clown:A.J. Pierzyniski,Barry Bonds,Jose Guillen,Steve Howe,Ty Cobb

Jon

XPFO
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Class Act: Curtis Granderson

Worst player: Felipe Alou,

MichaelofSF
08-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Class Act:
Derek Jeter
I was at the 2004 All Star game in houston, and at workout day I remember seeing all of the big names. There were tons of kids lined up along the dugout areas and the fence. The whole time, the only player I saw that was signing was Jeter. I remember thinking to myself, that's why Jeter is Jeter. You would think Ken Harvey or someone who isn't a big name would be signing, but it was Jeter.

Buck O'Neal
Always was smiling, and willing to sit and talk baseball with you

both-teams-played-hard
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Manny Ramirez, hands down winner - he dresses like a gangbanger. I think he's the one who started the whole du rag thing with the baseball logo.

http://img106.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/08/30/gangstamanram-47nzha4no.jpg
Grove Street 4 Life!

mwbosoxfan
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Manny being Manny includes being the most productive right handed hitter in baseball over the past dozen years so i'll take the clown act even though it's absolutely harmless to anyone and he is a model citizen.

I would have to agree with you on this, Jon. Obviously, I'm biased, but if you're a fan of the team he's on, you can't help but be pulled into his court by some very unique and endearing qualities. The same qualities that make you so mad are the same ones that make you like him. Bad for baseball, not hardly.

Class Act: I'd agree with Jeter. My first thought actually was Ortiz. Players like Tim Wakefield, 6-time Roberto Clemente Award nominee.

ClassClown: A-Rod. Best talent in the game, but is scripted and phony. Hard nosed "grip it and rip it" players don't like him. Jeter and Torre wouldn't defend the way he plays the game. Trot Nixon was actually quoted as calling him a "clown" - that's good enough for me.

yanks12025
08-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I would have to agree with you on this, Jon. Obviously, I'm biased, but if you're a fan of the team he's on, you can't help but be pulled into his court by some very unique and endearing qualities. The same qualities that make you so mad are the same ones that make you like him. Bad for baseball, not hardly.

Class Act: I'd agree with Jeter. My first thought actually was Ortiz. Players like Tim Wakefield, 6-time Roberto Clemente Award nominee.

ClassClown: A-Rod. Best talent in the game, but is scripted and phony. Hard nosed "grip it and rip it" players don't like him. Jeter and Torre wouldn't defend the way he plays the game. Trot Nixon was actually quoted as calling him a "clown" - that's good enough for me.

Well A-rod has more class then Manny. Just thought i should say that.

kellsox
08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
"absolutely harmless to anyone"

As a Red Sox fan, Manny's act has gotten old. He's harmless because he doesn't speak to the media and keeps to himself. You can't argue with his production, but the general belief is that he quit on the Sox the last 6 weeks last year and on many other occasions has asked out of the lineup. Not to mention the times he's asked for a trade and occupied countless hours of the front office that could have been spent on other things. He routinely loafs after the ball in the outfield and rarely runs hard out of the box. It's played off as cute but he's the last player i would want a kid modeling his/her game after. I will not be sad when he leaves the team next year after his contract expires. Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest
kelly

mwbosoxfan
08-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Well A-rod has more class then Manny. Just thought i should say that.

Of course, we can respectfully disagree as we offer our opinions to the class act or clown question. Depends a little on how you define class, and especially in terms of baseball. I would imagine some of the qualities that players like Jeter and Ortiz possess and make us think of "class act" also help define it. When was the last time you saw Jeter try and slap the ball away from a tag with his hand, or make a hard slide with his hands flailing over his head (kind of like a clown) as to hit the 2nd baseman in the groin, or yell at a player fielding a fly ball. My guess is never. That's why he's a class act. As far as that goes, I've never seen Manny do any of those things either.

ahuff
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I live near a Midwest League town. But for purposes of this post, I will only talk about players that have made it to the bigs or were here for a rehab.

Class Act:

Nomar - Article and photo below. He was rehabing in Peoria. Instead of staying inside the clubhouse during a rainout, like most self appointed superstars, he came out and signed for tons of fans.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050727/ai_n14905816

http://pjstar.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&image=13957315&thispage=1

Class Act:

Michael Restovich / Joe Mauer

Class Act:

Ryne Sandberg - Stood and tried to sign every item he could for people. I've never seen a player/coach go out of his way to sign autographs as Ryno did. He kept leaving, to turn in lineups / talk to players, and then would come right back and sign. I can't remember which guy, but some moron had a bag of baseballs that he would take one out, have Ryno sign it, and while Ryno was signing would grab another out, and hand it to him right when he was getting the other back. The team should have thrown that guy out of the game. Obviously he was a dealer, but of course I saw all of the other dealers from town there as well. Too bad there were 7 year olds lined up behind them that never even got to see Ryno.

http://qconline.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge_remote.asp?remoteimageid=181158

Class Clown: Jim Edmonds - I never saw him sign anything.

Class Clown: Rick Ankiel - Signed one ball for a ceremonial bat boy, looked at my 5 year old and blew him off when he finally got the nerve to ask for an autograph. Good thing the rest of the team would just take the ball from him and sign it, as he was usually too shy to ask. My son still hates Ankiel to this day.

yanks12025
08-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Of course, we can respectfully disagree as we offer our opinions to the class act or clown question. Depends a little on how you define class, and especially in terms of baseball. I would imagine some of the qualities that players like Jeter and Ortiz possess and make us think of "class act" also help define it. When was the last time you saw Jeter try and slap the ball away from a tag with his hand, or make a hard slide with his hands flailing over his head (kind of like a clown) as to hit the 2nd baseman in the groin, or yell at a player fielding a fly ball. My guess is never. That's why he's a class act. As far as that goes, I've never seen Manny do any of those things either.

A-rod did slap a ball away from Bronson arroyo's glove. If i was a-rod at that time i would do the same thing. Why not its a sure out so go for it. If Manny was in that spot he would most likey be 5 feet from home plate maybe not even out of the batters box or going back to the dugout. And for the second baseman thing every player does it maybe not hitting them in the groin even though i have not seen that by a-rod and i watch every yankee game maybe your talking about when he hit Dustin Pedroia coming up from the slide. And there's no rule in the book that says you cant say anything to the fielder while fielding the ball.

Vintagedeputy
08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Arod is a unique character, you either love him or hate him.

As a lifelong Yankees fan, I'm glad he's on my team. I think his problem is that the media dumped so much hype on him when he came here that it has been hard to overcome. He has the huge contract, the stigma of an expected high return, plus sharing the spotlight with Jeter, et al.

Arod wants to win, pure and simple. He is without a doubt the best overall player in baseball, hands down. "Manny being Manny" is a nice way to excuse his antics, but he can't hold a candle to Arod, imho.

Jim

Jags Fan Dan
08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Class act: Sean Casey
Class clown: Bonds

mr.miracle
08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Arod is a unique character, you either love him or hate him.

As a lifelong Yankees fan, I'm glad he's on my team. I think his problem is that the media dumped so much hype on him when he came here that it has been hard to overcome. He has the huge contract, the stigma of an expected high return, plus sharing the spotlight with Jeter, et al.

Arod wants to win, pure and simple. He is without a doubt the best overall player in baseball, hands down. "Manny being Manny" is a nice way to excuse his antics, but he can't hold a candle to Arod, imho.

Jim

Other than his numbers being down slightly this year from his career averages, I would like to throw a vote in for Albert Pujols as being the best overall player in baseball. Over the first six seasons of their careers Pujols has actually had better overall numbers that ARod. We will see how this plays out as Pujols career moves forward.

chicagoglen
08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Clown:A.J. Pierzyniski,Barry Bonds,Jose Guillen,Steve Howe,Ty Cobb

Jon

Not sure why A.J. is always brought up in these things. During his time here with the White Sox he has always acted professional. Even when Barret sucker punched him. I love that Zambrano wailed on him.

I would say class act.

Jim Thome

Complete loser

Carlos Zambrano

island_style
09-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Class acts: Tony Gwynn, Craig Biggio, Cal Ripken, Jr.

Class clown: Pete Rose

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

allstarsplus
09-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Class Acts-

Brian Schneider (Nationals) - he's another quiet leader who is a class guy

Manny Acta - if you ever have the chance to watch his post game press conference, he acts the way a manager should, win or lose.

Barry Bonds - He's a bum

I wanted to share a long story with you about the overall attitude with the Nationals team. Ownership and Manny Acta have let the players know that "fan friendly" means not only being nice to the fans, putting on a smile, but also being as accessible as possible.

On one occassion, I took my 13 year old team I coach into the stadium before it opened and Manny Acta, Pat Corrales and Coach Rodriguez all greeted the kids and gave them a talk. Ryan Zimmerman and Dmitri Young signed every players cap and ball too.

Last night vs. the Giants I followed thru on a promise to a fellow Forum member JasonHalliburton that if he drove the 8 hours from Knoxville Tenn to DC, I would take him to the game and see Bonds (well there was no Bond sighting). We got into the stadium prior to batting practice. Brian Schneider came over to talk to us. When I say "talk", I mean talk. He and Jason had the State of Tennessee in common as a lot of Brian's family lives there. After the Nats first season in 2005, I purchased all of Brian's catchers gear. I told him I would be interested in purchasing any gear this year too and he said he has been donating it to needy kids in the Dominican Republic (classy guy). After BP, Brian brings me his "away" catchers gear autographed and a bunch of sweat bands. Check out what game the chest protector was used in:

By the end of BP, 7 of the starters came over to talk to us and I took pictures of each player and Sgt. Halliburton. Nook Logan autographed his BP used batting gloves for him too.

For anyone who hasn't been to a Nationals game, check it out. It has the vibe of a Minor League game with hustling players and good attitudes!

Congrats to ownership and Manny Acta and his players and many thanks!

Andrew

Vintagedeputy
09-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Andrew-

Schenider is quickly becoming one of my favorites for being a classy guy. I just picked up another bat of his. If you have any items you are looking to sell, let me know.

ps - do you know his bat habits/model numbers? I have questions.

Jim

allstarsplus
09-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Jim - I don't want to Post for Sale in the Game Used Discussion so please call me at 202-716-8500 or email me at GameUsed@Nationals.net

Brian Schneider was almost exclusively black LS during 2005 and 2006 and this year switched to blonde/natural bats. He uses light pine tar on the mid-handle and some bats will show deep spike marks on the end of the barrell.

thanks. Andrew

Vintagedeputy
09-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Andrew - I understand about the "for sale" items, I'll email you.

Do you know any info about model numbers for Schneider? It seems that he also likes Mota stick on his handles.

Jim

allstarsplus
09-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Andrew -
Do you know any info about model numbers for Schneider?
Jim They are generally C271S Black LS models.

Andrew

Vintagedeputy
09-01-2007, 02:21 PM
The one I just picked up is a C271S with nice Mota stick application.

I also have an E53 black LS

JasonHalliburton
09-06-2007, 03:00 AM
I want everyone on here to know that Andrew Lang is a first class guy. He does things that he in no way has to do. Doing it out of the goodness of his heart. Next to my father, I do not know a better man. I urge everone to buy from him because he will treat you like royalty!