Anyone know when Robinson Cano Wore #51 on his uniform?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Anyone know when Robinson Cano Wore #51 on his uniform?

I know Robinson Cano played for:

2001 Staten Island
    2002 Staten Island Yankees
    2002 Greensboro Bats
    2003 Tampa Yankees
    2003 Trenton Thunder
    2004 Trenton Thunder
    2004 Columbus Clippers

Anyone know when Robinson Cano Wore #51 and with what team?

Also, in this picture, he's in a Yankee uniform (maybe minor league?) and on his glove it has #51.

Can anyone help? I've been on the computer all last night and today and I'm stumped on this one. Usually, I can find what I'm looking for.

Regards, Tony
    Attached Files
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • Vintagedeputy
    • Oct 2005

Re: Anyone know when Robinson Cano Wore #51 on his uniform?

According to the Baseball Almanac, he has worn 14, 22 and he now wears 24 in honor of Jackie Robinson.

His father wore 52 with the Astros in 1989. Maybe the glove belonged to his father and his father wore 51 at some point in the minors if 52 was not available?

Or....maybe it was a spare glove that Bernie Williams gave to him, although the flag picture on the glove looks more like a D.R. flag than a flag of Puerto Rico.

just a wild guess....

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
      • Oct 2005

The blue armbands were worn on Father's Day so maybe he did in fact wear one of his dad's old gloves to pay homage to him in that game.

Comment

• kingjammy24
        • Nov 2005

tony,

this would probably help:

if i were you i'd just try to get the media guides/yearbooks/programs for each of those teams during those specific years. you may even end up with a photomatch.

rudy.

Comment

• kingjammy24
          • Nov 2005

rudy.

Comment

• 3arod13
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
            According to the Baseball Almanac, he has worn 14, 22 and he now wears 24 in honor of Jackie Robinson.

His father wore 52 with the Astros in 1989. Maybe the glove belonged to his father and his father wore 51 at some point in the minors if 52 was not available?

Or....maybe it was a spare glove that Bernie Williams gave to him, although the flag picture on the glove looks more like a D.R. flag than a flag of Puerto Rico.

just a wild guess....
            His father's name was Jose Cano, so I doubt it was his father's glove. On this glove, it has embroidered on it RC #51 (RC - Robinson Cano)

I'm on a mission to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Tony
            Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

My research is for this glove. i found a few different pics of Cano where this style glove (TPX) with it embroidered on the glove RC #51, as well as the Dominican flag. This is the only glove I found with the flag in color.
              Glove looks as if it was used an entire season.

I'm on a mission to figure this out, so any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Tony
              Attached Files
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• kylehess10
                • Feb 2006

Look in the bottom left hand corner of the photo and there should be a year printed on there. That should be the year that the photo was originally taken....that might help to a lead.
                kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
                http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• 3arod13
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kylehess10
                  Look in the bottom left hand corner of the photo and there should be a year printed on there. That should be the year that the photo was originally taken....that might help to a lead.
                  Kyle, the year on the photo is 2005
                  Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• 3arod13
                    • Apr 2006

I assume the #51 would be his uniform number. I just can't find any pictures or information anywhere that shows he wore #51. In the 2005 photo, wearing a Yankee uniform, you can see he still has R.C. #51 on that glove also. I won't give up until I figure this out.
                    Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• dcrules01
                      • Nov 2005

Spring training call up maybe.Sometimes the rookies wear a different number before they make the team.I know in 03 Jose Reyes wore number 15 before going to 7 during the season.
                      Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• Yankwood
                        • Nov 2005

This was worn in July of 2004 at the IL Futures game.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• 3arod13
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kingjammy24

tony,

this would probably help:

if i were you i'd just try to get the media guides/yearbooks/programs for each of those teams during those specific years. you may even end up with a photomatch.

rudy.
                          Rudy,

Thanks! However, this confuses me even more. He signs the same card with 51 and 13.

I do know someone who has a Robinson Cano signed Minor League Baseball from 2002, which Cano signed it #51. In 2002, he played for Staten Island Yankees (#17) and Greensboro Bats (not sure what his uni # is).

I have many people helping me on this and I truly appreciate everyones help. Everyone in this forum is a Class Act!

I have never see a glove with this much use. It's beautiful!

Regards, Tony
                          Attached Files
                          Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• Yankwood
                            • Nov 2005

The pictures of him wearing the glove show the R.C. 51 in a different part of the glove than the one up for bid. It still looks good to me though. He wore that baby out!!!

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Yankwood
                              This was worn in July of 2004 at the IL Futures game.
                              Yankwood...you're awesome! First pic I've seen of him wearing 51. I truly appreciate everyones efforts.

Regards, Tony
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

Working...