Please help me ID the player in this vintage photo!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoneRubbedBat
    • Jul 2005

Please help me ID the player in this vintage photo!

I picked up this vintage photo for the neat bat labeling, but do not recognize the player. On the H&B bat, it looks like the first name is Jack and the last name starts with a "C" and ends with a "y". The Kren bats have a block letter last name that appears to be the same as the one on the H&B.....six letters in the name, starting with what looks like a C and ending with a "-ey." From the labeling of the bats, it is most likely from between 1936 and 1948. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.
  • woodbat
    • Apr 2007

Re: Please help me ID the player in this vintage photo!

If the uniform is Detroit and the player is holding his own bats, the only fellow I could come up with is Jack Coffey. He did a little time with Detroit in 1918. But that doesn't match your estimate of 1936-48. Maybe some uniform folks could help in dating his uniform.

woodbat

Cardinal Bats only

Comment

• sicollector1954@insightbb.com
      • Oct 2005

Don't want to throw you off the track. However, the only "Jack" I can come up with that might fit this time frame ending with a "y" would be a player named Jack Clement Conway. Played several years starting in 1941. If it is truly "ey"--I am stumped.

Comment

• sicollector1954@insightbb.com
        • Oct 2005

Add an "s" to Clement.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
          • Oct 2005

I enlarged and reversed the pic and I believe that the Jack Conway answer is correct.

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
            • Jul 2005

Thanks to everyone for the input so far. Here is another shot from the original:
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
              • Jul 2005

Got an answer. Johnny "Jack" Cooney, Boston Bees/Braves, 1940-42. Thanks for the help.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Working...