PDA

View Full Version : '73 Carlton Jersey For $3,000!!!!

hblakewolf
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
A 1973 Phillies road Carton sold for over $3,000 on Ebay today. Upon careful examination, you will notice that the zipper has been relpaced, the nameplate letters are not the standard Wilson vertical arch cut, the thread is missing on the back 32 (excessive post Carlton wear) and the overall wear is excessive. Alli ndications point to this shirt being recycled to the Phillies minor league camps for additional use after Carlton wore it in 1973. This was common practice for the Phillies, however, you have to wonder if the winning bidder Mitch Schumacher put all of the pieces together and understood what he was purchasing, or if he is even aware of these facts.

As we always note, do your homework.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170143369929&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

sportscentury
09-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Howard,

As usual, you're right on. I want to thank Dave Miedema for sending me a heads up about this auction - Dave is one of the good guys, and extremely knowledgeable. And thanks to you, Howard, as always, for the informative exchange about the shirt.

I did not bid high on this jersey, for several of the reasons you articulated, Howard. I just hope it is was not purchased to be sent to a card company to be cut up - It may be far from original, but the shirt is real and still a '73 Carlton. I would have gladly taken it at a reasonable price.

Best,
Reid

worldchamps
09-06-2007, 10:42 AM
The winner is masaauctions...they seem to bid on everything I ever look at...are they one of the big auction houses?