PDA

View Full Version : MLB hologram problems

JasonHalliburton
09-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I would like to hear about your problems with MLB hologram numbers being uploaded into the data base. Does anyone else think that the time it is taking to put items in is ridiculious?

I have a 2005 Nationals Inagural game used baseball with a hologram on it. As I feared, the hologram number is not found.

All e-mail's I send to the authenticaters are returned, saying it will put the account over the quota. How am I suppose to tell them about the ball not being in there?

I also have a Zimmerman game used bat from this season that I have had for more than2 months....Number not found either.

I am beginning to think this system is a joke....Since the prices that are being paid for MLB authenticated items.

What do you think?:D

dcrules01
09-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I would agree even better I won a Damion Easily bat off of Steiner auction and it is listed as a game used ball from the Mets Braves game earlier this year.I have 3 Wright bats and 2 of them are in the system my 3rd which I just bought is not still waiting...I know Steiner is working on there hologram system but everything I have with a Steiner hologram does not show up in the system.I guess it would be a work in progress :)

Vintagedeputy
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I have a Brian Schneider bat that I bought at RFK stadium in July. The "tamper proof" hologram is smeared and I can't read all of the numbers.
I emailed MLB 2 months ago and got no response. I called MLB 2 days ago and they said that since I didnt purchase it from them, they couldnt help me and they referred me to the team store, even though its their damn hologram. Some guy at MLB actually "interrogated" me as to why I want to know what the number is and whether or not the fact that it had a hologram that I could identify to a particular game mattered into my purchase decision. It was like he was trying to analyze my purchase habits.

I called the Nationals team store yesterday and I'm still waiting for a call back as to whether they can identify the numbers for me.

To sum it all up, I think the MLB's system stinks. I could buy a pretty colored sticker at Wal-Mart and it would have the same value.

Jim

JasonHalliburton
09-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Jim,

I agree with you, it stinks, and it stinks badly. I don't know about you, but in my job, if I performed as poorly as they do with the hologram system, I would be fired! Maybe someone needs to lose their job at the authentication place....:)

allstarsplus
09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I had the same problem last year with the Nationals. The Nationals said it was a MLB problem so I called the MLB main number several times and emailed. I got an email from Michael at this email address that helped:

He told me all the information was in the system but wasn't uploaded. Shortly after his email, I had several 2006 items which then showed up on the system.

Andrew

Vintagedeputy
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks Andrew - if the team store doesnt bother to call me back, I'll try him.

Customer service really seems to be at a premium these days

Jim

allstarsplus
09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks Andrew - if the team store doesnt bother to call me back, I'll try him.

Customer service really seems to be at a premium these days

Jim

Jim - Here's what I believe to be the facts.

The Nationals Team Store is run by a 3rd Party company called FMI. FMI actually runs the game used concessions inside stadiums for a few MLB teams. They have nothing to do with the authentication or holograms as they receive the product generally from the locker room already with the holograms on there.

By the way, I put in a hologram # today and I got this message:

The MLB Authentication Program Database is currently undergoing maintenance. During this period, there may be delays in publishing updates and additions to the hologram archive.

allstarsplus
09-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I called someone at MLB who has also helped me in the past. If you send me your missing Hologram #'s she will research it for me.

thanks. Andrew

Vintagedeputy
09-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Andrew - the number ends in 409. I cant tell anything before that.

Thanks,
Jim

JasonHalliburton
09-07-2007, 09:06 AM
It looks like they could design a hologram that the numbers and letters don't come off. I have some items that have holograms that are pretty beat up badly. It looks like they applied the hologram PRIOR to the ball or bat being used!:D

Vintagedeputy
09-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Jason - thats what I thought too because mine looks like it has a bat rack mark right through it.

brianborsch
09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Hearing all of these problems gets me concerned. I recently won two auctions for game used balls that from actual hits in a game. My concern now is that once the hologram serial #'s get registered in the database they won't have the detail of who the player was and what kind of hit it was. I am confident it will have the date it was hit and the game it was used in as all of the MLB authneticated game used stuff has that. It better have the detail documented as thats why I bought them. If I can't verify who hit the ball and what hit it was, then what's the point, right? I don't want it registered as just a "Game used Ball".

Tedw9
09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I purchased a couple of Red Sox game used items last year and found that they were not in the database. I emailed the MLB site and someone got back to me in a couple of days and had my items up within a couple of days after that. When I talked with him, the gentleman told me he was a couple of weeks behind in uploading information.

One of the things I suggested when I wrote a thank you email is that they use more detail about the items, like who used the baseball, what inning and such. He replied that they would take that into consideration for future use. I have a baseball that I know is game used, but by who, what inning and such, I have no idea. Thats ok though, I know it was from a game Jonathan Papelbon won so I had him sign it. :)

brianborsch
09-07-2007, 06:49 PM
But my ball (2 of them) were auctioned from mlb.com as being a ball that was actually hit by the said player. The auction even mentioned what inning and what kind of hit. Als I am saying is that if they have that detail in the auction to sell the item, they better have that same detail in the authentication database.

Brian B

Tedw9
09-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Brian,

I am curious to see if that information is listed in the database. Please let us know if it is shown, it would be great if it was.

brianborsch
09-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Ted,

No info is in there yet as I just got them from mlb.com auctions. but when it shows up I will let you all know. The ball you (or was it another member?) had was probably auctioned off as just a game used ball from a certain game. Meaning that the authenticator did not actually see it get hit by a specific player, but knows it was used in that game. Hence the general detail around the exact use.

The 2 balls I won were auctioned off as balls hit by a specific player in a said inning. We'll see.

brianborsch
09-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Great news guys. The two baseballs I got are detailed well in the MLB database. Here's how they read:

Product Description: Pitched by Beato to Cardenas in 6th Inning (Base Hit to Left Field)
Session Product Description: Game Used Ball

Session Name: 2007 All-Star Futures Game
Session Date: 2007-07-08 00:00

Autographer:

Authenticator: Authenticators, Inc.

Product Description: Pitched by Carrasco to Bruce in 2nd Inning (Hit Triple to Center Field)
Session Product Description: Game Used Ball

Session Name: 2007 All-Star Futures Game
Session Date: 2007-07-08 00:00

Autographer:

Authenticator: Authenticators, Inc.

They sure are getting quicker with getting the items in. And now Bruce is the BA Minor League POY!

Tedw9
09-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Thats great! I believe that the extra information really adds to the collectibility and value of the item. Glad they posted that information for you. :)

brianborsch
09-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Maybe the reason why they actually kept track of that info, opr payed closer attention during that game was because of the feedback you gave MLB regarding having more detail? Either way, I am happy with the turnout.

Brian B

dcrules01
09-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Congrats I am still waiting on my 3rd Wright bat to be logged in...

camarokids
09-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I called someone at MLB who has also helped me in the past. If you send me your missing Hologram #'s she will research it for me.

thanks. Andrew

Three out of Four Batting Helmets purchased directly from the Devil Rays (Bottom Feeders) are not correctly entered into the system !!

One of the helmets wasn't even entered , I have tried calling MLB.COM multiple times and talked to a few supervisors . Emails are always returned undeliverable due to a full in-box !

If I were a few french fries short of a happy meal or not firing on all cylinders ! The Devil Rays would be in a heap of trouble and I would go postal on them . However due to the fact I don't like the thought of being Bubba's little bitch in prison, I'll have to refrain myself from those thoughts .

I have tried for months and months to get these corrected . I have been told wrong info on what to do to get this fixed by so many people with in the Devil Rays organization , I want to puke all over them .

Andrew, if you could help me get these two fixed I would owe you BIG time ! I have ran out of ideas on how to fix this . My only other option is to hire an attorney , for I am being ignored by the Devil Rays. Last week I was told by the Devil Rays that there was NO way to get the holograms entered correctly into the database .

Here's the numbers and what the items should be .

Wow , I just checked my numbers again and now BB 008810 shows as a game used helmet now (doesn't list Josh Paul's name or TBTC though). I have the helmet photo matched .

BB 008833 is the one that is CORRECT and the way I think the items should be entered (see below).

Hologram number BB008833 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under Batting Helmets.

Product Description: Signed by #14 Norton
Session Product Description: Game-Used Batting Helmet
Game: Throwback Day

Session Name: Atlanta Braves¿@¿Tampa Bay Devil Rays

That leaves two to be corrected :

Julio Lugo 2006 TBTC G/U Batting Helmet BB 089838

Josh Paul 2006 Devil Rays G/U Batting Helmet BB 485074 (originally not listed in database, now listed as team issued)

camarokids
09-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Here's a picture of my Lugo helmet....

camarokids
09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
[quote=camarokids;52200]
Wow , I just checked my numbers again and now BB 008810 shows as a game used helmet now (doesn't list Josh Paul's name or TBTC though). I have the helmet photo matched . [quote]

Correction, The Josh Paul I have photo matched is NOT the TBTC but the regular season helmet from 2006 #BB 485074 . Pictures posted above or below.

cigarman44
09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I bought a game used base from Aug 31 in the Cardinals team store and it still isnt in the system yet.

allstarsplus
09-10-2007, 03:40 PM
[quote=camarokids;52200]
Wow , I just checked my numbers again and now BB 008810 shows as a game used helmet now (doesn't list Josh Paul's name or TBTC though). I have the helmet photo matched .

Correction, The Josh Paul I have photo matched is NOT the TBTC but the regular season helmet from 2006 #BB 485074 . Pictures posted above or below.

They responded quickly as my contact had to give it to another person and here was the response:

Andrew-

These holograms are correct in the system; since the use on these items was not witnessed they can not be called “Game-used” in our system.

MP

silverschmidts
09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I've also encountered problems with the MLB hologram program. A few months ago I purchased a Chris Young game used jersey for top dollar through the San Diego Padres auction site (which is co-sponsored and a part of the MLB game used program). When I got the jersey and verified the MLB hologram usng the the MLB website, all it said was that the item was autographed by Chris Young on a certain date. There was no indicatation that this is an authentic game worn jersey, even though the auction description advertised it as such. So for all I know, what they sent me was an authentic jersey with a Chris Young autograph. (The jersey itself does not display any obvious game use). I have tried to email the MLB hologram program folks about this but they don't reply. I'm very unhappy about this and won't buy from this program again. They don't have any idea what customer service is and they certainly don't have a very keen understanding of what collectors expect in the game used market.
--Steve

BaseballGM
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I have one for you. My only purchase through MLB auctions was for a "Montreal Expos Jon Rauch Game-Used Montreal Expos Jersey with Puerto Rico Patch."
The description also read, "The jersey was worn during the Marlins/Expos Game on 9/27/04."
Well, from the pictures posted, I could see that there was no Puerto Rico patch on the sleeve but it didn't bother me since the Expos didn't have them on their sleeves at the end of September.
Here's the kicker - when I look up the hologram number in the MLB database here is all it says:

Session Product Description: Home jersey of J.Rauch

Session Name: FLORIDA MARLINS @ MONTREAL EXPOS

Session Date: 2004-09-27 00:00

Autographer:

Authenticator: Deloitte & Touche

camarokids
09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
[quote=camarokids;52250]

They responded quickly as my contact had to give it to another person and here was the response:

Andrew-

These holograms are correct in the system; since the use on these items was not witnessed they can not be called “Game-used” in our system.

MP

I appreciate your help Andrew !

Now , I am sure you all are seeing the source of my frustration here ! I think the answer is insane ! Two of the three TBTC Helmets I bought are listed as game used , the Julio Lugo is NOT!

If you want to know how stupid these people are ? Of the three TBTC helmets I bought , the two that are listed as game used are players that did NOT play in the actual game . Julio Lugo actually played in the game , but his helmet is not listed as game used . They even have the wrong team , it was Braves @ Devil Rays . BB 089838 :

Hologram number BB089838 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under Batting Helmets.

Product Description: Signed Helmet
Session Product Description: Signed Helmet

Session Name: Boston Red Sox¿@¿Tampa Bay Devil Rays

I bought the items from the team . Picked them up myself at Tropicana Field . I have the team letters !
MLB you suck ! I will not buy another item from MLB !

I pay a fricken premium for items directly from a "team" w/ MLB authentication and they don't match up . I guess the next step is , I will have to find a lawyer ! F O Devil Rays & MLB !

Vintagedeputy
09-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Andrew - any luck with my Schneider number?

allstarsplus
09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Andrew - any luck with my Schneider number?

No answer yet as they said they will need some time to research. Maybe we can help you figure it out the missing #'s on the hologram if you can send a pic of the holo + let us know the date you received the bat.

Andrew

Vintagedeputy
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Andrew - I bought it at the team store during the first or second week of July, 2007.

I hologram is small but I may be able to get a pic. I looked at it with a jewelers loupe and I can easily see the last 3 numbers but the rest is totally smeared. I doubt a picture would be helpful.

Jim

indyred
09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
It looks like they need some kind of schooling on record keeping. Or hire people who know how to authenticate game used stuff. Didn't the mlb authentication start out as mainly for the autograph collector's. I would love for a company with game used experience take over and keep better records. Maybe Barry Meisel and the Meigray Group can go over there and give them a crash coarse on how to do things right.

allstarsplus
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Look how sloppy the authenticator attached the hologram on this awesome game used Ryan Howard Marrucci----upside down and crooked!!!

Andrew

PudgePollyMillerFan
09-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Andrew.......sorry to see what they did with the sticker.....classic example of people trying to run a business that have no damn idea what they are doing......I am glad they now authenticate game worn/used items......but when they destroy the item by doing it......is it really worth it at that point? I would think that if you hire someone to do a job for the collectors........give them a damn clue what collectors want!

brianborsch
09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah,

That is a messed up job. I know on the GU baseballs I purchased, they placed the sticker pretty well (I mean it is not perfectly straight) but it is on a nice area of the ball. And NOT on the sweet-spot so an auto is still possible.

I notice that there are different authentication companies though? Maybe that's the difference between the quality of some of MLB.com's items and the items from the ball-clubs? Either way, we need some consistency. From the good side! Definitely don't need to be repeating the bad........

allstarsplus
09-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah,

That is a messed up job. I deal with so many MLB game used items that I have had it happen before. I had one that was more crooked on a lesser valued bat so I took a chance and decided to remove the unsightly hologram. I scraped the hologram off and it came off very easily and cleaned up with no marks that it previously existed.

I don't want to do the same on this Ryan Howard bat as it is very valuable. I may try a new strategy and see if MLB will put on a new hologram and I will scrape off the other.

You kind of need to wonder who is supervising this whole hologram fiasco. Between holograms that aren't on the system after months, incorrect dates, incorrect descriptions, unreadable holograms, and now unsightly placement of the hologram.

I can understand mistakes as they do happen, but sloppy upside down crooked placement of the hologram is inexcusable.

Andrew