PDA

View Full Version : David Wright bat flying into the stands

metsbats
09-08-2007, 12:30 PM
David Wright in the first inning of today's game lost his grip on his Marucci bat and it flew into the stands. Thankfully no one was hurt and the fan who caught thought he got a nice piece of game used memoribilia. That's until the one of the bat boys went over the stands with a Louisville Slugger and asked for the Marucci gamer back. One of the ushers retrieve the Marcucci gamer from the fan and handed him the Louisville slugger.

Bummer!

-David

B1SON
09-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Once they find a bat they like, they don't like to give it up. ;)

NegleyPirate
09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I was wondering do you have to give the bat back if you don't want to?

JasonHalliburton
09-10-2007, 03:24 AM
I think that once it leaves the playing field, into the stands, it should be the person that catches it!

What is next, a player getting a homerun ball back because they want it?

godwulf
09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Legally, I suspect that if a team wanted to confiscate everything that ended up in the stands - including baseballs - they could do so. The "Finders Keepers" rule seldom has any great force in real life, I've found.

dcrules01
09-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Seen a photo of a fan that caught a bat in the stands at Wrigley.It was Sorianos bat .Nice prize I will see if I can find the photos.I wonder what bat Wright gave him???

dcrules01
09-10-2007, 03:05 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/849725346_03556d51bc.jpg?v=0http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1328/849728256_951cc5b103.jpg?v=0

gameused
09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I dont think you need to give back any item that lands in the stands, if you caught it, it's yours to keep.

If I was the person that caught David Wrights Marucci bat I would not have given it back, they would have to knock me out to get that bat out of my hands!

I remember watching a Yankees vs Angels game last year and Derek Jeter lost his grip while swinging and the bat landed in the stands, the guy who caught it kept it as I did not see any stadium personal ask for it back, Jeter just got another bat from the bat boy and continued to play.

Bobby

metsbats
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Seen a photo of a fan that caught a bat in the stands at Wrigley.It was Sorianos bat .Nice prize I will see if I can find the photos.I wonder what bat Wright gave him???

It belive it was a Louisville slugger as I saw the TPX and MLB emblem the back of the barrel. Wright stopped using LVS this year so it probably came from his non-gamer batch.

Bummer!

Game Used Bats
09-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Erroneous on both accounts! First, it was defintely not the first inning more like the 5th or 6th. Second, I was a section away and the bat swapped out by Wright was a Marucci and it looked to me to have more game use than the one that the lady caught!

Anthony

stlbats
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I know at Busch Stadium, they say any ball or bat hit or thrown into the stands is yours to keep. Sometimes players will swap out a bat for a bat though. Sometimes not. I have never seen a player get a bat back from someone without giving them a different one, anywhere.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

metsbats
09-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Sorry you are not correct. It was the Wright's first ab of the game. In the first inning. I wrote the post right after it happened as I was watching the game at work as I was at my desktop.

Check the timestamp of my post.

As far as the replacement bat i was pretty sure it was not another Marcucci.

David

metsbats
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
subtact 4 hours from the timestamp of the post. I just posted this one and it's 11:18AM however the time stamp is 4 hours ahead.

dcrules01
09-10-2007, 10:29 PM
It was not a Marucchi and you art right it was his first ab...

metsbats
09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Regardless, i think this thread has some good posts on what we all think the protocol is when equipment unintentionally lands in the stands. The LA Dodgers website actually has a code of conduct section for fans that states the fan can keep a foul ball if they catch one. (why?) Interesting enough there is no code of conduct rule that covers what happens if a bat lands on your lap.

I think it depends on the player as I've seen players after losing a bat into the stands just go to the batboy and get another one. Other times the bat is retrieve just like yesterday and is replaced with another. The bat Wright lost in the game yesterday looked like a new bat and it would make sense that he would want it back because it was new and felt good.

David