PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever accidentally won an auction?

Vintagedeputy
09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I did and I cant believe that I screwed up! I feel so dumb!

harpt
09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
What happened?

Vintagedeputy
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I was looking at a bat earlier in the week and thought that I had found a "hidden gem". I immediately set a snipe. After bugging Jim and Mike with an endless supply of questions, they assured me that it was just a store model bat.

I just happened to look at the auction tonight and saw that someone else had bid on it. I watched the auction just to see where it went and was stunned when my snipe fired and I won it. I forgot to cancel the snipe!

What a dummy!

Yankwood
09-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Were you imbibing in adult beverage when you won this bat? And how much did this beauty cost you? Vintagedep, you got off light. Think how I felt the morning after my first marriage. I thought I had a real prize too. I'm still paying for that old bat.

jayt1234
09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
In the past I foolishly bid a ridiculous amount of money on a pair of Reggie Bush cleats, I sweated that one out for a few hours before someone outbid me in the last few minutes...This morning I had a $5.00 on a Dennis Dixon autographed 8x10 (QB for Oregon)...Someone out bid me and I have no idea why, but I put in a $40.00 maximum bid...Stupid.

Jay

Vintagedeputy
09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
haha, no drinking here. At first glance, I thought that I had a gamer hidden away in a mislabled auction so I threw a $50 snipe on it so as not to lose it. Later in the week, I found out that it was a store model bat but I forgot to cancel the snipe. I outbid someone else by .09 !!!!!! Now I'm trying to see if the other bidder wants it as I really dont. If not, I'll just pay the seller and relist it properly and hope for the best at recouping my money!

Lesson learned!

Jim

cjmedina1
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Can someone explain to me whats a snipe?Thanks in Advance

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

mr.miracle
09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Can someone explain to me whats a snipe?Thanks in Advance

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

There are services out there that allow you to snipe the auction on ebay or place a bid at the very last seconds of the auction in order to avoid a bidding war in the final few hours of the auction. The also allows you to enter a max bid that will be placed in a timed fashion by the service in case you cannot be present or in case your computer is slow etc. as the auction winds down. One example is bidnip.com which I have used a number of times. You pay a small fee to be set up and allow this program to work. It works like a gem unless of course someone else is using the same program and then it might bid up to and or over your limit and still lose the auction. It is a great way to place bids without running up the bidding early.

Vintagedeputy
09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I use a different service and it works like a charm. In this case, it worked too well! :)

Jim

TNTtoys
09-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Here is one from my own ebay blooper reel...

One morning, my wife placed a bid on a collectible for herself. She was planning to be out but I was going to be home when her item finished. She left the house as the high bidder and asked me to "reinforce" it at the end in the event someone wahts to challenge it...

Well, I lived up to my end of the bargain by upping her ceiling bid in the final seconds... but I had forgotten that I logged her out & had since logged in under my ebay ID.

The result was funny... I beat her bid in the final seconds and won the item... at a stupid price of $20.00 more than she would have won it for in the first place... because apart from ME, her original high bid went unchallenged...