PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Vintage Photo Help

bradleysupplies
09-11-2007, 01:35 PM
A family friend has asked for my assistance in identifying a 4.5" x 6.5" B&W photograph of Babe Ruth. It is an original photograph, and written in pencil on the back: Photo by Fritz Kraft, 10-22-33. "He just hit a homer as I clicked the Kodak". From what I can tell, Fritz Kraft was a 'souvenir photo' photographer based in Hawaii, and his work can be found all over the web.

The date corresponds with the 1933 exhibition baseball games in Hawaii with Babe Ruth en route to Japan.

What I am interested in, is finding more information about the circumstances of the photograph. Do box scores of the exhibition exist? If so, did Babe Ruth hit a home run on 10-22-1933? Any help the group can provide will be greatly appreciated! I have searched and had no luck in finding this kind of info.

Obviously, another question is value - and I know the more information you can have about an item and background the more it could help the value.

Thanks -
Joel

bobw
09-12-2007, 06:48 AM
From October 23, 1933

RUTH SMACKS HOMER

HONOLULU (T. H.). Oct. 23. -
(U.P.)—Babe Ruth hit the first ball pitched to him for a home run when the visiting major league players defeated the local Wanderers here yesterday, 5 to 1. Before the game started Ruth complained that the baseballs provided
were "second grade." The contest drew a crowd of 11,000, the largest ever to attend a baseball
game here.

bradleysupplies
09-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow, THANKS Bob! Where did you find that? I'd love to find a story in the Hawaii newspaper about that, but have not had any luck. I've even sent e-mails the he Historical Societies out there without any luck.

Does anyone have any idea of the value?

Joel

Rob L
09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Joel,

Sorry I don't have any info, but is there any way you could post the picture. It sounds very cool.

Rob L