PDA

View Full Version : 1947 signed St. Louis Browns John Berardino Game used Jersey

apujols04
01-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I just passed on this jersey (a 1947 St Louis Browns all original and autographed game used flannel jersey of utility infielder John Berardino) last night to do some research on the jersey. I knew the jersey would be worth good money due to his 33+ years as a General Hospital star. He had changed the spelling after his career to Beradino. But I was not sure if $5000 was a good price to pay. It sure is a lot of money to pay given that I am an uneducated buyer. It ended up being sold today for $4500 to a user/seller of this forum. The numbers were all original and the jersey was autographed. I was wondering if anyone on this site has an opinion in ragrds to the actual value of the '47 Flannel. i hear St Louis Browns flannels go for a minimum of $4000. I just want to know how hard I should be kicking myself and what to look out in regards to a good price to pay for St Louis Browns gamers. I have googled st louis browns gamers to look for former auction sale results. the only item I found was a 1930's rick farrell (HOF) browns gamer which went for $13,000 plus. Hopefully the buyer (who often consigns his stuff to AMI) will do like he did with his "Go Crazy Folks" Ozzie Smith jersey and sell it in a big time auction. I would like to have a chance at the Browns jersey again. Any info about the value of Browns gamers would be appreciated as I come across a few a year in the STL area.

apujols04
01-27-2006, 06:07 PM
The same seller also had a signed 1957 cardinals game used jersey which had been sent down to the minors. He wanted $1500 but may have went down a little on that one too. Gamers sure are fun to collect and research.

apujols04
01-27-2006, 06:14 PM
The same seller also had a signed 1957 cardinals game used jersey which had been sent down to the minors. He wanted $1500 but may have went down a little on that one too. Gamers sure are fun to collect and research.

Sam Jones I think it was. he had a decent year in 1957. It would be nice to be able to dtermine who actually wore the jersey in the minors too, but I hear that is almost impossible and is almost always speculation.

apujols04
01-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Jeff, would you be interested in selling this jersey for a quick profit?

Jeff Sullivan
01-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm keeping the jersey in my collection and do not plan on selling it. Thanks for the offer.

Jeff

apujols04
01-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm keeping the jersey in my collection and do not plan on selling it. Thanks for the offer.

Jeff

Kind of like you were keeping the Ozzie "Go Crazy Folks" jersey for your collection? Maybe you will change your mind sometime. If you do, maybe you will sell it outside of the auction house. Unfortunately, I have not been paid for my Bradshaw, Staubach, Unitas, and Martin jerseys so that price tag was making me nervous. I am still trying to get in the financial situation where I can drop that kind of dough based on instinct and that's why i'm glad I found my own valuable jerseys. I am learning on the fly thanks to GUU. You were right, there is more big money in gamers than autos - at least usually. But I am kicking myself because I know you told the seller the jersey was worth around $4500 when he called to ask your advice, but I heard much different about 12 hours later. Dang! Especially given the whole 30+ years General Hospital thing. I did not know what I know now until a few minutes before I saw you walking out with the two jerseys. I was 15 minutes too late. I would love to hear your opinion now that you own the jersey as to what the jersey would be likely to go for in a major auction house. Thanks for your thoughts.

apujols04
01-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Jeff, I would appreciate a reply to my question. I do understand that you may have a specific reason to now answer this question but I wanted to make sure you didn't miss the question?

Do you honestly feel that you were giving the previous owner of this jersey a fair appraisal when you told the man the jersey was worth around $4500 before you purchased it for that amount? You paid the full value if that was the case. I know that you are proclaimed by AMI as being the world wide expert in regards to St. Louis baseball game used items. That is true isn't it?

If that is the case you surely know that St Louis Browns common player jerseys are some of the most sought after items in the industry. I hear commons range from $4000-$10000 and maybe your jersey is towards the high end of that estimate.

This post has nothing to do with fact that you told me I was your "enemy" after leaving you negative feedback on ebay for a misrepresented jersey. You had a replacement you could have easily given me but you refused to do so, instead trying to refund me my money after I got a great deal. You then tried to accuse me of shillbidding to protect yourself, not knowing that my wife (without my knowledge) had bid on one of my auctions (with a new ID) trying to surprise me by buying a rare pujols item I did not want to sell but was forced to b/c of financial difficulties. That is not shillbidding and her bidding on my item was an isolated incident. I even tried to make up with you at the Rams booth during the Tri-Star show but you instead chose to make fun of me to the Tri-Star representatives. You obviously have made me one of your targets even though you were the one who sold me the misrepresented item, and would not replace the item.

On the other hand, I will give you props for using your connections to obtain the stuff you have been pushing through AMI. I wish I was the one renting the retail space to the Cardinals Stores and making best buddies with the equiptment manager. If it's all legit,then you truly are the best in the business in the STL area. Even though you hold unfair grudges, I will still admit that you are the man to see if someone is looking for cardinals stuff. See "St Louis Cardinals sale #23, 24, etc." Unreal how one person can dominate the game-used Cardinals game used market. It should never be that easy, and that is why teams should sell their own stuff via auctions on the team website.

Once again, all I want to know is if the $4500 estimate you gave the previous owner was even within a couple $1000 of the probable actual dollar amount you think you would receive if you auctioned the jersey. Maybe you are choosing to keep the jersey in your collection b/c you know what the true value is. Maybe someday you can try to see where I am coming from instead of using me as the butt of your jokes. I am not the one who gave you the patch to sew on the jersey. It was the other was around. I don't do that crap, ecpecially when the back of the patch specifically states that such a thing is basically illegal.

Jeff Sullivan
01-30-2006, 06:51 PM
David

I see you are attempting to bait me into one of your pissing matches that you love to do on this forum. I will not lower myself to your level. Tell your fabricated stories to the few, and I do mean few who might believe your grand tales.

Jeff

ebayautos
01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Jeff, as a friend of David's and a fellow collector in the St. Louis area, I feel that someone should address your post since David has been banned.

Are you denying that you appraised the jersey in question at $4500?

As a noted "expert" who people around St. Louis trust for advice, are you confident in regards to the $4500 appraisal? I see you have been reluctant to answer this question so I am curious if you are not answering the question for any particular reason?

I would love to hear another collectors opinion but I guess everyone is avoiding this thread due to lack of knowledge.

Are you also denying sending David a 2004 W.S. patch to illegally sew onto the jersey he bought? Wouldn't it have been more honest to simply give him a new jersey since you had an extra.

And Eric -- do you plan on banning every individual who David refers to this forum?

ebayautos
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Jeff, The more you fail to address the questions, the more true the accusations appear. I must ask, why are the attacks on Bernie from Global allowed. The people who "bait" him are all still registered users. What a joke.

Eric
01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
And Eric -- do you plan on banning every individual who David refers to this forum?

No, I don't. However I will ban those who are looking to start fights and those who cannot adhere to the rules of the forum.

I suggest that you and everyone else read the rules for the forum located on the main page.

Eric

ghostkid
01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know the eBay name of apujols04? I'd like to put this person on my "avoid no matter what" list.

Eric, keep up the nice work...my only suggestion for next time is that you not be so conservative when someone is acting out of order...shut them down more quickly, before things get out of control.

Kevin

Jeff Sullivan
02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
David

Since you wanted my thoughts on what the Browns jersey would/could bring in a major auction I did the following research for you.

GreyFlannel's July 2005 auction listed a 1943 St. Louis Browns Game Used Home jersey worn by George McQuinn. Final price: $3,528.00 - Home jerseys usually bring in a little more as they are pretty scarce.

I hope this helps.

Jeff