Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Mike Piazza rare show signing

MAB Celebrity is having Mike Piazza as an autograph guest in one of their up coming show. Last time Mike did a show on the East Coast was back in 2000. Check out the prices for bats! He will also NOT sign any game used items.

David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.
  • toddhead
    • Sep 2006

Re: Mike Piazza rare show signing

Why don't some players like to sign game used items? Is it because they aren't sure of the authenticity?
    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
      • Oct 2005

Check out the Bob Gibson photo.......who the hell named him Hoot?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard Bob Gibson called Hoot. Here is Hoot Gibson, he was a rodeo star....

I think if anyone called Bob Gibson "Hoot", they'd get knocked down with a fastball!

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
        • Oct 2005

ok, I stand corrected, I just found a reference on Wikipedia that said he was called Hoot........thats a new one to me!

Comment

• ironmanfan
          • Sep 2005

I've been with Cal to several MAB shows (including one just this past weekend in north Jersey) and can tell you that they (particularly Mollie & her husband Joe) are a class organization and really try to bring players in that the public want to see.

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

I never knew Mike's baseball nickname was "Special Guest"
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• gr8soxfan
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

$600 for aautographed bat I could think about 20 other guys participating in the show I would rather have. I hope no one shows up for his autograph

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

I'm a big Piazza fan but would never pay someone who made 90 million dollars over 6 years $199 - $600 dollars for an autograph. Its just another example of modern day player greed feeding off the average joe fan.

However there will be folks who will line up for a bat signature just like the ones who paid the astronomical prices to rub elbows with Arod and Barroid 2 years ago.

David
                metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                  • Sep 2007

I could be wrong here but that is a price set by the promoter. The player gets a set fee for doing the show the promoter sets the prices for sigs at what he feels would support the demand.

Piazza is a pain to get signatures from. Last year when he was with San Diego he looked me square in the face and said no when I had a brand new baseball then continued to sign for other people then this year he signed a card for me during ST with the A's and thats it. He also broke a bat during BP that day and when I asked him for it he said he gave it away already and I know he hadn't because I watched him the entire time. If i remember correctly he has been very protective of his bats throught his career so much so that he had his bats locked away separate from the rest of the team while with the Mets.

Comment

• mvandor
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2007

I wouldn't pay ANYONE $600 to sign something. That's just crazy.

Comment

• JasonHalliburton
                      • Jul 2007

600.00 is funny!!

What a joke.

Comment

• richpick
                        • Oct 2006

How could you see any value in a non game usd bat signed by Piazza for $600. If you turned around and listed that same bat on ebay what do you think the market would pay for that bat? No where near $600. That seems absurd and I know the promoters set the price but what is Piazza charging for an appearance?

Comment

• island_style
                          • Nov 2005

$600.00 for Piazza to sign a a non-game used autograph model bat? That's crazy. Even if you had a player issued bat (maybe one of Zane's "basically from the rack"), that's still an insane amount to consider. Although, I can't say that I'm surprised about Piazza's signing habits. I've got his signature before at Jack Murphy along the Dodger dugout when the Dodgers were playing the Padres. However, when I asked him to sign a baseball at Dodger Stadium when the Mets were visiting he said his hands were full. Mind you, he wasn't carrying anything. Also, this was before the gates even opened and the players were arriving at the stadium. (He did sign sparingly for others during the series as he was dropped off at the stadium) On another note, I appreciate this thread because Sid Fernandez will be signing, and I have some game used jerseys and bats that I'd like to get signed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Comment

• ironmanfan
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by island_style
                            However, when I asked him to sign a baseball at Dodger Stadium when the Mets were visiting he said his hands were full. Mind you, he wasn't carrying anything.
                            Not to be smart, but often when someone says their "hands are full," they don't mean it literally.

As far as the $600 goes to sign a bat, I realize that it seems excessive to me, but understand that not all people who would do this are profiteers who would do it to "turn around and list on eBay the same day." There are many passionate collectors out there who collect theme bats (Rookie of the Year, etc.) and want to add that player to that and simply have to make a personal decision whether its worth it to them. I could use an example from last weekend of all the people who I saw come through line at the MAB show for Ripken. I think his fee was like $150 (not positive) for flats & balls and after he signed them they would not fetch anywhere near that on eBay (even for certified ones). You can buy properly certified Ripken balls on eBay for like $75-80, but people wanted the experience to meet Cal & see their item signed in person and were willing to pay a premium for such.

If every purchase I ever made was done with the mindset that could I list on eBay the next day and make money or at least recoup what I paid, I wouldn't have near the collection I have today.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by island_style
                              On another note, I appreciate this thread because Sid Fernandez will be signing, and I have some game used jerseys and bats that I'd like to get signed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Ron - I know El Sid was from the Island........are you a big fan of his?

Jim

Comment

Working...