PDA

View Full Version : Mike Piazza rare show signing

metsbats
09-14-2007, 07:29 AM
http://www.mabcelebrity.com/shows/current/monikers/main01.htm#piazza

MAB Celebrity is having Mike Piazza as an autograph guest in one of their up coming show. Last time Mike did a show on the East Coast was back in 2000. Check out the prices for bats! He will also NOT sign any game used items.

David

toddhead
09-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Why don't some players like to sign game used items? Is it because they aren't sure of the authenticity?

Vintagedeputy
09-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Check out the Bob Gibson photo.......who the hell named him Hoot?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard Bob Gibson called Hoot. Here is Hoot Gibson, he was a rodeo star....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cd/HootGibson.jpg/180px-HootGibson.jpg

I think if anyone called Bob Gibson "Hoot", they'd get knocked down with a fastball!

Vintagedeputy
09-14-2007, 07:43 AM
ok, I stand corrected, I just found a reference on Wikipedia that said he was called Hoot........thats a new one to me!

ironmanfan
09-14-2007, 07:58 AM
I've been with Cal to several MAB shows (including one just this past weekend in north Jersey) and can tell you that they (particularly Mollie & her husband Joe) are a class organization and really try to bring players in that the public want to see.

metsbats
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I never knew Mike's baseball nickname was "Special Guest":D

gr8soxfan
09-14-2007, 10:41 AM
$600 for aautographed bat:eek: I could think about 20 other guys participating in the show I would rather have. I hope no one shows up for his autograph

metsbats
09-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm a big Piazza fan but would never pay someone who made 90 million dollars over 6 years $199 - $600 dollars for an autograph. Its just another example of modern day player greed feeding off the average joe fan.

However there will be folks who will line up for a bat signature just like the ones who paid the astronomical prices to rub elbows with Arod and Barroid 2 years ago.

David

OaklandAsFan
09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I could be wrong here but that is a price set by the promoter. The player gets a set fee for doing the show the promoter sets the prices for sigs at what he feels would support the demand.

Piazza is a pain to get signatures from. Last year when he was with San Diego he looked me square in the face and said no when I had a brand new baseball then continued to sign for other people then this year he signed a card for me during ST with the A's and thats it. He also broke a bat during BP that day and when I asked him for it he said he gave it away already and I know he hadn't because I watched him the entire time. If i remember correctly he has been very protective of his bats throught his career so much so that he had his bats locked away separate from the rest of the team while with the Mets.

mvandor
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't pay ANYONE $600 to sign something. That's just crazy.

JasonHalliburton
09-14-2007, 11:55 PM
:D 600.00 is funny!!:)

What a joke.

richpick
09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
How could you see any value in a non game usd bat signed by Piazza for $600. If you turned around and listed that same bat on ebay what do you think the market would pay for that bat? No where near $600. That seems absurd and I know the promoters set the price but what is Piazza charging for an appearance?

island_style
09-15-2007, 05:53 AM
$600.00 for Piazza to sign a a non-game used autograph model bat? That's crazy. Even if you had a player issued bat (maybe one of Zane's "basically from the rack"), that's still an insane amount to consider. Although, I can't say that I'm surprised about Piazza's signing habits. I've got his signature before at Jack Murphy along the Dodger dugout when the Dodgers were playing the Padres. However, when I asked him to sign a baseball at Dodger Stadium when the Mets were visiting he said his hands were full. Mind you, he wasn't carrying anything. Also, this was before the gates even opened and the players were arriving at the stadium. (He did sign sparingly for others during the series as he was dropped off at the stadium) On another note, I appreciate this thread because Sid Fernandez will be signing, and I have some game used jerseys and bats that I'd like to get signed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

ironmanfan
09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
However, when I asked him to sign a baseball at Dodger Stadium when the Mets were visiting he said his hands were full. Mind you, he wasn't carrying anything.

Not to be smart, but often when someone says their "hands are full," they don't mean it literally.

As far as the $600 goes to sign a bat, I realize that it seems excessive to me, but understand that not all people who would do this are profiteers who would do it to "turn around and list on eBay the same day." There are many passionate collectors out there who collect theme bats (Rookie of the Year, etc.) and want to add that player to that and simply have to make a personal decision whether its worth it to them. I could use an example from last weekend of all the people who I saw come through line at the MAB show for Ripken. I think his fee was like $150 (not positive) for flats & balls and after he signed them they would not fetch anywhere near that on eBay (even for certified ones). You can buy properly certified Ripken balls on eBay for like $75-80, but people wanted the experience to meet Cal & see their item signed in person and were willing to pay a premium for such.

If every purchase I ever made was done with the mindset that could I list on eBay the next day and make money or at least recoup what I paid, I wouldn't have near the collection I have today.

Vintagedeputy
09-15-2007, 08:01 AM
On another note, I appreciate this thread because Sid Fernandez will be signing, and I have some game used jerseys and bats that I'd like to get signed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Ron - I know El Sid was from the Island........are you a big fan of his?

Jim

skyking26
09-15-2007, 08:29 AM
I am hoping the day will come when collectors say NO to accessive fees. We are all in the same boat. We have items that we desperately need signed, but at what cost do we say yes/no?

I collect some Thome items. Have a bat I'd like signed. Mounted memories had him last year at $99. After 500HR, I am sure that will go up, not to mention gas and parking fees, show entrance etc. I truely doubt I'd pay $99 for the cost. Just outrageous. If it cost that much for a Piazza or Thome or whomever fee, than it may be time to say no.

Now, mind you, I am not in the corner saying we the consumer should have a free auto. It costs the promoter $$ for hotel and airfare. But, let's be frank, if a players fee is that outragous as Piazza's must be to start - than forget it!

TNTtoys
09-15-2007, 08:35 AM
On another note, I appreciate this thread because Sid Fernandez will be signing, and I have some game used jerseys and bats that I'd like to get signed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Ron,

I will do my best to attend the show too. I have one thing for El Sid to sign and another for Keith... A handful of us met up at a recent MAB show that had Wally, Lenny & others... Would be great if we can all do it again. Catching up with &/or meeting new faces from GUU is certainly a nice filler while you're waiting for sig's.

Nick

dcrules01
09-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Ill be there Nick for Carter and Hernandez...:D

mvandor
09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Fees are off the charts and the market itself is flooded for most living players. Something has to give. I laugh at what Montana charges for signings when I know I can buy a signed item complete with his hologram off ebay for about the same price I'd pay to see him and get the sig on my own item. Obviously these guys do volume signings for dealers for considerably less.

You're blowing cash for the sole purpose of face time, IMHO, which often devolves into being pushed past the guy by promoters where you share not a word and just get a glimpse of the bald spot on the back of the athlete's head.

Something's gotta give.

island_style
09-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Ron - I know El Sid was from the Island........are you a big fan of his?

Jim

Hi, Jim.

I am a fan of El Sid's. I have several game used jerseys, bats, a couple of helmets, a 1986 cap and a Topps contract in my collection. Gotta love it when a local baseball player from Hawaii goes pro and does well.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

island_style
09-16-2007, 04:05 AM
Ron,

I will do my best to attend the show too. I have one thing for El Sid to sign and another for Keith... A handful of us met up at a recent MAB show that had Wally, Lenny & others... Would be great if we can all do it again. Catching up with &/or meeting new faces from GUU is certainly a nice filler while you're waiting for sig's.

Nick

Hi, Nick.

I won't be able to attend the show (I live in Hawaii), so I will probably do mail order if it's not too late to send in items. Fernandez still lives here, but I haven't seen any local shows where he is signing.

I agree...being able to meet the forum members is a great idea!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

mvandor
09-16-2007, 08:43 AM
No one goin' for that great Piazza bat signing deal???

Maybe ole Mike just hates signing bats, too challenging for him, so he deters suitors with the price. :o

Anyone else note he won't sign jerseys at all? What a schlameel.

ballofbases@hotmail.com
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Does anyone remember the exact prices they were charging for Piazza's autos at this signing? Was it $200 for baseballs and $600 for bats???

Thanks!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

metsbats
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
MIKE PIAZZA
Special Guest
December 9, 2007
1:00pm till completion
(due to time constraints, there will be no posed photography)
Balls, Flats - $199.00
Posters - $219.00
Bats - $600.00
Inscription - $50.00

Mr. Piazza will not sign Jerseys, Jersey #"s, All Star Baseballs or Game Used Items of any kind.
Absolutely No Personalizations

Here you go..

David

ballofbases@hotmail.com
08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
David,

Thanks for the help!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

metsbats
08-28-2008, 01:36 PM
David,

Thanks for the help!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

Your welcome Michael.

David

Danny899
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.mabcelebrity.com/shows/current/monikers/main01.htm#piazza

MAB Celebrity is having Mike Piazza as an autograph guest in one of their up coming show. Last time Mike did a show on the East Coast was back in 2000. Check out the prices for bats! He will also NOT sign any game used items.

David

David,
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I think you're posting about a Mike Piazza signing that has already past a year ago. (December 2007) MAB Celebrity is not showing any upcoming signings with Piazza and the prices you showed in your later post list the 2007 show. The date is listed above the prices on your post. Hope this helps. Dan

skyking26
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
It all started with Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio asking for extra money to sign premium items. Forge ahead years later and you have the outrageous McGwire deal with Steiner, and this laugher with Piazza. Totally ludicrous thinking for a minute that the public will swallow fees like this. All they do is make the player and promoter look like an a*s.

I met Piazza in the early 90's as a Dodger in FL and he was a jerk.

metsbats
08-29-2008, 08:18 PM
David,
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I think you're posting about a Mike Piazza signing that has already past a year ago. (December 2007) MAB Celebrity is not showing any upcoming signings with Piazza and the prices you showed in your later post list the 2007 show. The date is listed above the prices on your post. Hope this helps. Dan

Dan,

Yes the post is from the last signing Piazza had with Mabcelebrity. I believe that Michael was asking for that info. I don't think there are any future signings coming up.

Regards
David