PDA

View Full Version : Non Steiner Yankee bats

cjclong
09-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Is Steiner supposed to get all the Yankee game used bat? I know ARod has his own deal, but are the bats of the other players like Jeter supposed to go to Steiner because obviously there are game used bats from Jeter and others on the market that don't go to Steiner so what is the source for them?

Yankwood
09-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Looks to me like they lay claim to any junk laying around the stadium and clubhouse. Many times what you receive from them are bats with other players numbers on the knobs, batting practice bats, bats with pieces missing, and sprinkled in are a few decent ones. Lots of players buy their own bats and do with them whatever they wish.

Vintagedeputy
09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure of which Yankees buy their own but I know that some of us recently picked up Posada and Damon bats that were cracked while in Toronto.

Perhaps the players dont feel like dragging broken bats back home for Steiner through Customs so they give them away on the road?

Jim

TFig27
09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
The Yankees or Steiner do not own the players bat. Those are the property of the players.

Yankees/Steiner have the right to team jerseys/bases/balls.

The players get there own cleats/bats/gloves and those are the property of the player.

Steiner will sometimes have these for sale do to them being left at the Stadium or contacts with the players.

GrndSlm
09-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Thats exactly right !! The Yankees own the rights the jerseys and all the stadium memorabilia like LineUp cards, balls, on deck circles, ect.....But the players own the bats, spikes and any other endorsable products. This means that whatever merchandise is given to the player to use or wear belongs to the player. Now, many teams allow the players to buy there own uniforms and therefore owning them. This is NOT the case with the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, BoSox, just to name a few.

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Carlevv
09-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Guys you are wrong here. The players do not own their bats. If a player chooses he can buy his own bats and then he owns them. Until then if the Yankees provide the bats they own the bats.

TFig27
09-16-2007, 10:11 AM
how do the yankees provide the bats?

ironmanfan
09-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I know the Orioles order their bats through the Traveling Secretary, Phil Itzoe and they are the property of the club (since they pay for them).

jshortt
09-16-2007, 03:54 PM
In most cases, the teams pay for the players' bats. The player only picks the company and model, then the team picks up the bill. Thus making the bats property of the team unless the player buys the bats back from their team.

-Josh

cjclong
09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
If the teams own the bats then do they allow players to give them away or sell them and sort of consider it part of the players salary. Because obviously a lot of bats don't stay with the team and get out for sale to the public.

GrndSlm
09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Guys, the game bats are an endorsable product ! That means that any major league player can sign an endorsement with any manufacturer. These contracts can be exclusive or non exclusive which limits that bat a player can use during games. This is why many stars use OTHER name brands during batting practice. But, the game used bat or a player is usually a manufacturers endorsement item.

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Carlevv
09-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Thats not true. Guys have endorsements to use a certain bat but the team pays for the wood. Hence the team owns the bat and the player gets paid to use them. However, i know that Mizuno doesnt charge the Mariners or Yankees for Matsui's and Ichiro's bats. Louisville pays AROD, Giambi, and Jeter but the Yankees buy Jeter's and Giambi's bats. AROD pays for his own. The team also buys the "offbrand" bats for the players. Thats how the companys stay in buisiness. Its up to the equipement manager to make the purchase with the teams account or a team check.

cjclong
09-19-2007, 11:35 AM
If the Yankees buy Jeter's and Giambi's bats how do they get out to the public through non Yankee sources? Does the team buy the bats but then let the players do with them what they want?

eGameUsed
09-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I think teams have bigger fish to fry than what bats get out! Plus, think about all the baseballs that get away during BP, games, thrown by the umpires, or after the last out in an inning. What do you think teams spend more on, baseballs or bats? I don't know the answer for sure. What do bats cost? $60 and up? Let's say $100 for sake of argument. Let's say a player like Jeter gets 150 per year. That is $15,000 on bats. They pay him $21,600,000. I don't think they care about bats!

Thanks,

Carlevv
09-19-2007, 08:59 PM
The bats go out the back door buddy. You figure it out. As far as what costs more, the bats or the balls? Balls are the most expensive bill the team pays. Bats last much longer than the balls do.

Yankwood
09-20-2007, 01:10 PM
The bats go out the back door buddy. You figure it out. As far as what costs more, the bats or the balls? Balls are the most expensive bill the team pays. Bats last much longer than the balls do.I'm a big fan of the old "back door".

Vintagedeputy
09-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I love it when some goodies slip out the back door.

Gives up little guys a chance at getting some nice stuff.