PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Cubs Convention question

gameused
01-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Did anyone attend this years 2006 Cubs convention?

I was wondering if the Cubs had any big name players game used bats, helmets or game worn jerseys for sale or auction, like Garciaparra, Prior, Kerry Wood, etc?

I have seen a lot of stuff up on ebay of lesser known Cubs players. Just wondering if they offered the bigger names for sale during the convention.

Bobby

rbalm
01-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes the cubs did have some big name equipment. They had a Nomar and Maddux "red cross" batting helmets. A-Ram jerseys, Nomar jersey, 1 Murton jersey, and some prior and woods jerseys. There were a lot more collectors involved in the bidding this year vs. dealers.

Adam

RobSteinmetz
01-28-2006, 11:48 AM
I attended this year's Cubs Convention and it was probably the best group of stuff I've seen at the "Garage Sale" in several years (gone are the days of grabbing $40 game worn jerseys off the rack, but not bad by today's standards).

I purchased a large number of star jerseys and a few Katrina batting helmets, some of which I kept and some of which have already been sold. I still have a handful of star jerseys available, including Wood, Zambrano, Aramis Ramirez, and Nomar.

The few bats they had this year were pretty severely cracked, and went for far more than they would go for in the hobby. The best bat I saw this year was a cracked Carlos Zambrano X bat with "El Toro" on the barrel - some kid was counting his money as he was bidding, so the adults in the room backed off and let him have it. I think that one sold for $400 or so.

On a side note, I talked to one of the organizers this year who said the Garage Sale at the Cubs Convention generates over $8,000 per hour for Cubs Care (they are open for about 3 hours on Friday and about 7 hours on Saturday).

Your Friendly Neighborhood Cubs Convention Reporter,

Rob Steinmetz
www.authenticgamers.com (http://www.authenticgamers.com)
authenticgamers@aol.com