PDA

View Full Version : DeWayne Wise Jersey

TomTimmerman
09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I know this doesn't have the historical significance of some of the other items discussed here, but Wayne Otto is advertising a DeWayne Wise game worn 2002 Blue Jays jersey on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MLB-Toronto-Blue-Jays-DEWAYNE-WISE-1-Game-Worn-Jersey_W0QQitemZ200152105280QQihZ010QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Being perhaps the only Wise collector on the planet, I bought one of these from him several years ago. Eventually I discovered that Wise never wore #1 in a major league game. According to our Blue Jays friend Vince, Wise was issued #1 in 2003 but never appeared in a game. In 2002 (Wayne's advertised year), Wise wore #16 according to Baseball-Almanac and a dated Getty picture.

I emailed Wayne about this some time ago and never received a response. I also emailed him about the current jersey but didn't receive a response. I know he probably just assumed that buying these from the team, they were game worn. But now he knows better and should not advertise the item as game worn.

TT

Copa
09-15-2007, 06:53 PM
What's the deal with gamewornuniforms?? Is his stuff good?? I'm pretty new to the game used hobby, but just looking at his items, I've questioned whether they were legit or not. I bought my first game jersey (Dan Gladden Detroit Tigers) from him probably about 7 or 8 years ago, and looking at this thing, I just don't buy for a second it was actually his jersey. There is no tagging, the number has been changed and someone wrote the nubmer 50 on the tag in sharpie. I didn't pay much for it, so I kind of chalked it up as a loss, but if someone could shed some light on this seller, maybe I'd be a bit less skeptical.

kingjammy24
09-15-2007, 07:55 PM
copa,

most of the tigers jerseys of that era were recycled to the minors for re-use. this is why most of wayne otto's tigers jerseys have the names stripped off and have numbers in written in marker on them. some have also had number changes. the #50 written on your jersey is likely from minor league use. as well, that's probably why it had a number change. at one point, it's likely that it was a legit gladden gamer or game-issued. it just went to the minors after the tigers were done with it.

most of wayne's otto stock seems legit to me insofar as being genuinely game-worn or game-issued at one point. sometimes he mislabels things, such as this wise jersey, or fails to mention the minor league re-use.
as for his business practices, i have no clue. a couple of years ago, i emailed him 3 or 4 times telling him i wanted to buy some jerseys from him. he never once replied.

rudy.

TomTimmerman
09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
I received a "reply" today:

"Everything we sell is game worn from the teams. There is no bogus jerseys.
Thanks
Morgan
www.gamewornuniforms.com"

Well that answers that.

MikeSimon
09-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Tom...I saw a couple of "Wise" game-worn jerseys in the Blue Jays Shop @ The Rogers Centre on Monday if you are interested. You could probably call them or e-mail Vince Marra!

TomTimmerman
09-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting on a return email from Vince.

Tom