PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Gates G/U Helmet

jayt1234
09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Up for sale on NFL Auctions. Any guesses as to how much this will go for?

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=86904105&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=87250815

Jay

mvandor
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Eric alert, Eric alert! :)

Numbers were applied terribly to that helmet, my Gates RealStuff Sports replication looks exactly like that one, only better, is signed, and cost $300. Reckon I'll pass on this one... :)

mvandor
09-18-2007, 10:47 PM
BTW, there is an LT authentic jersey there for $1,000. Does someone think it's game used by mistake???

jayt1234
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Is now selling game used helemts. Just scroll down on the link hafl way on the left hand side. Some are pretty reasonably priced. The Cowboys ones are a bit high.

http://www.realstuffsports.com/

Jay

Vintagedeputy
09-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I love that pic of T.O. getting an eyefull!

jayt1234
09-19-2007, 01:19 PM
are going for and the fact that a common Jets player's helmet is already over $1200 I say this helmet brings in at least $2400

Jay

aeneas01
09-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Is now selling game used helemts. Just scroll down on the link hafl way on the left hand side. Some are pretty reasonably priced. The Cowboys ones are a bit high.

http://www.realstuffsports.com/

Jay

the "game used" niners helmet that can be seen on realstuffsports game used web page just sold on ebay a few days ago for $155 inclusive of s&h. fwiw it's a rawlings anfl model which really wasn't used at the pro level - rawlings had a couple of other models that were used at the pro level during this era including the relatively popular rts model.

hof center mike webster is the only pro i know of that wore a rawlings anfl - he wore it for one year. but, frankly, i'm not sure there has ever been an nfler that has gone through more different helmet models in a career than webster. although bradshaw is probably a very close second...

aeneas01
09-21-2007, 01:07 AM
btw, anyone up for checking up on ebayer dalcowbil? mvandor? i would but he knows my ebay name and knows that i'm onto him...

if anyone is interested, send him an ebay pm and ask him for the heat-stamped numbers that can be found on the inside of the following helmets, below the earhole...

marcus spears
anthony henry
keith davis

mvandor
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
btw, anyone up for checking up on ebayer dalcowbil? mvandor? i would but he knows my ebay name and knows that i'm onto him...

if anyone is interested, send him an ebay pm and ask him for the heat-stamped numbers that can be found on the inside of the following helmets, below the earhole...

marcus spears
anthony henry
keith davis

Done! Will post what I hear back...

mvandor
09-21-2007, 10:19 AM
He sidestepped the date stamp but does say he has team letters:

the only date from inside the spears helmet is the reconditioning sticker and it says 2005, the davis reconditioning sticker says dec 05 and also says made for the 2006 season, the henry helmet says nov 05 and made for 2006 season. all 3 helmets come with a team letter. paypal me at dalcowbill@socal.rr.com, add $30.00 shipping for all 3 helmets. bill

mvandor
09-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Reply from seller:

"no that's what riddell helmets use to feature on them, now even the riddells don't have it- i have an al singleton riddell helmet and i checked the inside of it and there is no date stamp on it. these 3 helmets that you want are schutt helmets and schutt does not do that either.

i have a staubach gamer with an embossed date stamp for 6500.00"

aeneas01
09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
good work mvandor! if you can, drop him a line as follows:

--------------

actually riddell still continues to date stamp their helmets and so does schutt - it's required by law. the date stamp allows for an audit trail in the event there is a problem with the integrity of the shell. both riddell and schutt heat-stamp (machine-engrave) this information on the inside of their shells.

as far as the three helmets i'm interested in are concerned, the numbers can be found on the inside of each helmet below one of the earholes - it's a 6-7 digit number that might be followed by a letter or two.

--------------

mvandor
09-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Sent...

Blake
09-21-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Bill purchased the Henry and Davis helmets from Game Exclusives through one of the auction houses.

Gerald

mvandor
09-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Sent...

Reply:

"that is not date stamped to me- the staubach helmet that i have is date stamped- it says '75 in the middle of a clock- on the spears helmet- the numbers below the earhole are 022103HL, the davis numbers are 033345HL, and the henry numbers are 033215HR. Bill"

aeneas01
09-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Sent...

great!

btw what i've been seeing more and more of are schutt youth helmets being passed off as gamers. a schutt youth lid and a schutt adult lid (which are worn at the college and pro levels) are practically identical in every way except for the plastic they are made of - youth models are made of abs while pro models are made of the more durable polycarbonate. the number(s) you asked dalcowbill for will indicate, among other things, what the shell is made of. the biggest reason why crooks are using youth models is because they are substantially cheaper than adult models when sold new and when sold on the second market.

btw here's a nugget a guy at schutt recently shared with me - riddell and the nfl have an agreement where the nfl ensures that no less than 80% of all helmets used by pro teams are manufactured by riddell. however, schutt continues to maintain about 45% of the nfl market! further, because of this agreement, schutt helmets destined for the nfl are sent without schutt logos or model info (such as schutt pro air ll) heat stamped on the outside back of the helmet...

mvandor
09-21-2007, 08:10 PM
great!

btw what i've been seeing more and more of are schutt youth helmets being passed off as gamers. a schutt youth lid and a schutt adult lid (which are worn at the college and pro levels) are practically identical in every way except for the plastic they are made of - youth models are made of abs while pro models are made of the more durable polycarbonate. the number(s) you asked dalcowbill for will indicate, among other things, what the shell is made of. the biggest reason why crooks are using youth models is because they are substantially cheaper than adult models when sold new and when sold on the second market.

btw here's a nugget a guy at schutt recently shared with me - riddell and the nfl have an agreement where the nfl ensures that no less than 80% of all helmets used by pro teams are manufactured by riddell. however, schutt continues to maintain about 45% of the nfl market! further, because of this agreement, schutt helmets destined for the nfl are sent without schutt logos or model info (such as schutt pro air ll) heat stamped on the outside back of the helmet...
What do you conclude from the numbers he provided?

aeneas01
09-21-2007, 08:39 PM
What do you conclude from the numbers he provided?

the date codes dalcowbill provided jive well - both the henry and davis lids were molded at the end of 2005 so that would mean, if authentic, that henry and davis only wore these helmets for the 2006 season. the spears lid was molded in july of 2003. in short, the years dalcowbill claims these lids were worn by the these players jives with the date codes - and they are adult lids.

now if only the date on his staubach lid jived with when staubach wore a suspension helmet...

btw my apologies for stearing this thread to dalcowbill - as a matter of fact i just went through the posts to see what compelled me to even bring up dcb. i guess it was the mention of the game used dallas helmets available at realstuffsports...

RKGIBSON
09-21-2007, 08:49 PM
What does the first two numbers and the last two letters in the code mean?

Roger

aeneas01
09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
What does the first two numbers and the last two letters in the code mean?

Roger

first number - type of plastic used
second number - work shift
first letter - facility where the helmet was molded
last letter - helmet size

if you have a schutt helmet with a code that begins with anything other than 0 or 1 it's a youth helmet...

Blake
09-22-2007, 11:38 AM
That's good to know..Thanks!

Gerald

RKGIBSON
09-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Aeneas01,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I am a member here to advance my knowledge so I am a better educated collector. Guy like you make it worth while.

I have only a few helmets that I know exactly where they come from. One has a month/year date code stamped by the ear hole. All the others have the 6 number and 2 letter code. Can you tell me why this one is different? It is a Buccaneer helmet used in '99.

Roger

jayt1234
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Jay

Eric
09-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I feel pretty good about the one I won for $999 a couple of years ago on NFL auctions from the 2004 throwback game
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/ecky3/Game%20Used%20Collection/Football/Antonio%20Gates/HPIM0096.jpg

mvandor
09-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I feel pretty good about the one I won for $999 a couple of years ago on NFL auctions from the 2004 throwback game
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/ecky3/Game%20Used%20Collection/Football/Antonio%20Gates/HPIM0096.jpg
Looks like it was a good investment, now worth $2,500!!! :D

Prob is, I get a sense the market has peaked, not sure you'd profit in the next decade at $2,500 even if Gatesy makes the HOF.

RKGIBSON
09-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Eric,

I really like that helmet, better than the 06. More game use.

Roger

aeneas01
09-24-2007, 03:29 AM
rkgibson - there are two dates that can be found on modern schutt helmets. one is the shell molding date which is the 6 digit number and letter(s) found below the left earhole on the inside of the helmet and the other is the manufacturing date which can be found on the serial number decal below the crown pad. depending on the age of the helmet the shell molding date could be at the rear of helmet below the back pad (sizer) under the center piece of velcro which holds the pad in place.

the "3 98" appearing on your bucs helmet appears to be a manufacturing date given the format - however schutt does not heat stamp numbers on the right side of the shell which is where this number appears to be. consequently, i'm guessing that this number was stamped by the reconditioner or the bucs.

does your bucs helmet have a shell molding date on the left side below the earhole? if so, what is it? does it have a serial number decal on the crown below the padding? if so, what are the three letters that appear below the serial number?

btw, it's a great looking lid and so are your other ones that i saw in another thread - and that's also a great looking gates helmet eric. if someone offered you $2,500 for it eric would you sell it?

RKGIBSON
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Aeneas01,
I can not see any other stampings or etchings inside the Alstott helmet. There is a warning label above the left ear hole, right one is gone, but I cannot feel anything under it. I did not see anything under the pads. There some velcro squares that could hide it.

Roger

Eric
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
that's also a great looking gates helmet eric. if someone offered you $2,500 for it eric would you sell it?

Nope. I got it because I love the style, not to re-sell.
The only time I sell things is when I'm looking to upgrade to something better. Not sure how I can improve on that one...
Eric

aeneas01
09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Nope. I got it because I love the style, not to re-sell.
The only time I sell things is when I'm looking to upgrade to something better. Not sure how I can improve on that one...
Eric

somehow i was pretty certain that would be your position! :)

I can not see any other stampings or etchings inside the Alstott helmet. There is a warning label above the left ear hole, right one is gone, but I cannot feel anything under it. I did not see anything under the pads. There some velcro squares that could hide it.
interesting roger - if you ever get a chance would you post a snap shot of the inside left area of your bucs' lid, the same area where the date codes appear on your other helmets...

RKGIBSON
09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Aeneas01,
Attached are pictures of the LH and front inner on my Alstott helmet. Also a shot of the dated face mask retainers 1-97. I do not know how to read the date code on the face mask itself, DIG. Educate me.

Roger

DrJ
09-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Face mask is 1997.

RKGIBSON
09-27-2007, 06:02 PM
DrJ,
Can you explain the date system to me?

Roger

DrJ
09-28-2007, 12:49 PM
RKGIBSON - I replied to your other thread about how to date. It's the way I understand to date them.