PDA

View Full Version : Random GU Thoughts- 9-20

Eric
09-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone-

I have thoughts. I have a computer. Here goes.

I'm a big fan of throwback unis, but the 2007 Steelers version doesn't work for me

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/76880747.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937EB7531422ED89F6F9258CC07433CFEC
Also note that the Steelers logo is only on one side of the helmet...
But the big question- Is it worse than the 1994 Steelers Throwbacks?
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/3028/pitt-v-colts.jpg

Speaking of the throwbacks, I thought it was nice to see the Bill Walsh tribute on the Bill Walsh era 49ers throwbacks.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/76797226.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935D3080936F032C3775D5AC2CC99AC5FE

More Random thoughts
What does ebay allow auctions where the bidders ids are not revealed. Certain sellers have auctions where under bidders, it reads "User IDs kept private"
Don't they know that this feature protects shill bidding?

Also, I never understood why they allow some users to have their feedback listed as Private.

genius
09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Put the normal black helmet on those and I think they'd look pretty sweet...it's the gold helmet that doesn't work.

Eric
09-20-2007, 04:00 PM
The Eagles will be sporting these babies on Sunday

1933 Throwbacks
http://store.philadelphiaeagles.com/assets/items/75-308front1.jpg

sammy
09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Eric,

What is the difference between eBay's system and auction houses? One does not know who these auction house bidders are either, and shill bidding does go on at these too.

Quote from Eric;

More Random thoughts:

What does ebay allow auctions where the bidders ids are not revealed.

Certain sellers have auctions where under bidders, it reads "User IDs kept private" Don't they know that this feature protects shill bidding?

Also, I never understood why they allow some users to have their feedback listed as Private.

Eric
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
The difference is- auction houses hide all of that information,

ebay has a system where most bidders are identified and feedback is identified, but for some reason they allow some people to circumvent that.
Eric

Eric,

What is the difference between eBay's system and auction houses? One does not know who these auction house bidders are either, and shill bidding does go on at these too.

Quote from Eric;

More Random thoughts:

What does ebay allow auctions where the bidders ids are not revealed.

Certain sellers have auctions where under bidders, it reads "User IDs kept private" Don't they know that this feature protects shill bidding?

sammy
09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Going along with your train of thought, then eBay should hide all information and not let it be a personal choice, then it would be on par with the normal practices of the auction houses.

That is unless auction houses want to open up their bidding to review from any other bidder, and that will not happen. They must protect the identity of their "clients", which is what eBay allows their sellers to do if they chose.

So in reality, auctions houses are worst then eBay because they hide all the information, whereas eBay gives the seller a choice.

Seems to me eBay, overall, is the more honest of the two venues.

Eric
09-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Going along with your train of thought, then eBay should hide all information and not let it be a personal choice,

No- going along with my train of thought, ebay should have bidders identities identified in all auctions and have all feedback public as well. That would make it better than most auction houses who don't offer that info.

steeltownjerseys
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
It's interesting, and I see your point, however....anyone can make bidders ID's private, not just some people. Also, I think the benefit of this, is so that people can't look at who is bidding on an auction, and send an email to the bidders soliciting or undercutting a sale.
I think the better fix is for Ebay to not allow other users to contact the bidders so easily.
I also agree with the comment that the auction houses have a far less trustowrthy bidding system.

bigtruck260
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Not a big fan of Private anything on eBay. I always assumed the purpose was to keep guys like us from informing potential victims about forgeries and fake/misleading auctions...

I asked a seller whose item I was interested in about his reasoning for keeping his listings private...he said he was told at the National that he should keep auctions private to avoid fraudulent bidders....? Not sure about that...maybe someone could enlighten me. I imagine that he doesn't want people steering potential bidders away from his auctions and directing them toward their own.

Private feedback is just plain shady IMO. You might have a bidder with 200 bid retractions bidding on your items (and you would never know). I am sure everyone has reasons, but the validity of the reason is where there is concern....:confused: