PDA

View Full Version : AMI TONY GWYNN "LATE 1990's JERSEY"

hblakewolf
09-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I bring your attention to the following "Late 1990's Tony Gwynn road jersey" currently in auction at American Memorabilia:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=38586&aucsearch=gwynn&AucListType=open&TitleDesc=1&period=&tfm_orderby=&tfm_order=

The "standard" 100% POLYESTER tag that one would expect on any Russell game worn jersey from Gwynn or any Padre is void on this shirt, with the description reading, "There is no fabric content flag label suspended off the Russell Athletic tag. This is acceptable because Gywnn did order extra shirts which he marketed late in his career. This might explain the lack of the flag designator."

I've sold and seen dozens of Padres jerseys from the "late 1990's" and this is a huge red flag. I've never seen a common or star Padres fromt his era void of this 100% poly tag that is sold as "acceptable". AMI is correct that Gwynn ordered extra jerseys, however, these were marketed by Gwynn and his wife Alycia with their own LOA. Where is the supporting information allowing AMI to note that Gwynn marketed shirts in 1998, void of the 100% poly tag?

This shirt is not only void of the 100% POLY tag, but also the Gwynn LOA, if indeed, this was ordered and "marketed" by Gwynn.

Also, it is listed as a late 1990's? 1997 jerseys have the Jackie Robinson patch, 1999 the Padres Anniversary patch. Could one then conclude it's from 1998? A 30-second review on Getty confirms that 1998 is the only "late 1990's" jerseys void of a sleeve patch.

Simply amazing research by the 100% Authentic team and AMI on this gem!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Eric
09-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Some of these descriptions make my head hurt