Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jags Fan Dan
    • Apr 2007

Need help/opinions on this helmet

I have been after a Brunell game used helmet for some time. If anyone has any opinions on this helmet http://cgi.ebay.com/MARK-BRUNELL-AUT...QQcmdZViewItem

versus this one offer by Jim Yackel http://www.jimyackel.com/8BrunnellH.JPG

I would appreciate any comments. I note the interior padding is different, but that is about the only difference I see.
  • mvandor
    Banned
    • Apr 2007

Re: Need help/opinions on this helmet

Well, I'm a longtime customer of Joe and his Gridiron Authentics, and we've had quite a discussion here about his misuse of the term "game issue" to describe what are essentially RealStuff-like replications of actual game helmets. He has shown by sticking to his knowing abuse of this term, and his shaded explanations of those items, that money is just a bit more important to him than honesty and integrity.

Having said that, I do find it very difficult to believe he'd flatout lie about a game worn helmet; there's no room to equivocate on that term or description.

Jim Yackel's rep is solid.

Nevertheless, I'd ask both about where they got them, what provenance they have.

BTW, I asked myself is it possible Brunell switched to the VSR-4 from the AF2 in 96 as both were represented as 96 worn? Sure, but photo checking the differences might be tough as they appear to be subtle and nearly all visible only on the interior. Personally, I kinda like GA's a tad better as the Yackel VSR-4 is pretty close to the typical retail Proline model, not as unique, but that's me.

As always, I defer to aeneas and his far more knowledgeable opinion.

Comment

• RKGIBSON
      • Mar 2006

Jags Fan,
      The following is just for your information. I have no opinion on the helmets in question.

I have became friends with Skip Richardson, who is the head of football operations for the Jags. I have had several discussions on how equipment works in Jacksonville. He says the helmets are used all year or till they are damaged and need replacing or reconditioning. They wait and send 5 stripped helmet shell at a time. He also says that at the end of the year each player is give his choice of one of his game jerseys and has the option to buy his helmet for $500.00. If they do not buy them they are reconditioned and reused. I ask him if he thought the shell ever got exchanged at the reconditioner, he said he guessed it was possible but unlikely as all identifiers are removed before sending.

Roger

Comment

• mvandor
        Banned
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by RKGIBSON
        Jags Fan,
        The following is just for your information. I have no opinion on the helmets in question.

I have became friends with Skip Richardson, who is the head of football operations for the Jags. I have had several discussions on how equipment works in Jacksonville. He says the helmets are used all year or till they are damaged and need replacing or reconditioning. They wait and send 5 stripped helmet shell at a time. He also says that at the end of the year each player is give his choice of one of his game jerseys and has the option to buy his helmet for $500.00. If they do not buy them they are reconditioned and reused. I ask him if he thought the shell ever got exchanged at the reconditioner, he said he guessed it was possible but unlikely as all identifiers are removed before sending.

Roger
        Buy his helmet for $500??? What cheap management!!! No way the bulk helmet purchases they make work out to anywhere CLOSE to $500/helmet.

Comment

• aeneas01
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
          I have been after a Brunell game used helmet for some time. If anyone has any opinions on this helmet http://cgi.ebay.com/MARK-BRUNELL-AUT...QQcmdZViewItem

versus this one offer by Jim Yackel http://www.jimyackel.com/8BrunnellH.JPG

I would appreciate any comments. I note the interior padding is different, but that is about the only difference I see.
          did brunell ever wear an af2? the photos from wire image show him wearing a vsr4 throughout his days in jacksonville...

i will say this - imo ga gets a little excited and very creative when they get their hands on older model lids - for example, they gave me some ridiculous story about a few "game issue" favre helmets they were peddling simply because they were wd1/2 riddell models which is what favre happens to wear - of course these "game issue" helmets ga was selling never came anywhere near favre's melon...

anyway, like other pre-vsr4 helmets, the af2 model can be identified from the exterior by drill holes in the shell which are used to accomodate plastic pegs which hold the interior padding in place. when riddell came out with the vsr4 model they did away the drill holes and pegs and instead used velcro to hold the padding. in the photo below i have circle the drill holes i'm referring to - vsr4 helmets do have these...

robert

Comment

• aeneas01
            • May 2007

in the photo below i have circle the drill holes i'm referring to - vsr4 helmets do have these...
            this should read: .... vsr4 helmets do not have these...
            robert

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
              • Apr 2007

This photo from 1995 appears to have the holes as depicted in the photos above:
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                • Apr 2007

I am referring to the drill hole in front of the Jaguars mouth, it appears to be there in the photo? I asked to see a scan of the COA, so far no response.

Comment

• DrJ
                  • Nov 2005

I can't formulate an opinion based on this, but the helmet for sale appears to have black screws holding the black shock blocker clips on. In the picture you show of Brunell in action and of a picture I also found of him in action, the screws appear to be brass in color. If I'm seeing the pictures accurately, then it wouldn't mean the helmet isn't legit (perhaps the screws were just changed out at some point), but it wouldn't be an exact photo match. Perhaps someone can blow the picture up to confirm if I'm correct. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2005

Jags Fan Dan: If a Brunell helmet is something you need to have and Jim Yackel has one, what's the issue?

Jim stands behind everything he sells.

Jim

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by cohibasmoker
                      Jags Fan Dan: If a Brunell helmet is something you need to have and Jim Yackel has one, what's the issue?

Jim stands behind everything he sells.

Jim
                      That is a very valid question, the answer being that I would prefer one with an autograph as it will make a much better display piece in my opinion. However, I would much rather have a 100% legit unsigned one than a questionable signed one, so your point is well taken.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                        • Apr 2007

Also, good catch DrJ on the screws being brass colored instead of black. Just another question mark on this item.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                          • Apr 2007

I just emailed Joe again asking if I can see a copy of the LOA and also asking about the issue with the screws on the front of the helmet. I'll elt you know if I get a response.

Comment

• aeneas01
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
                            This photo from 1995 appears to have the holes as depicted in the photos above:
                            i don't know.... the small dots appear to be a reflection to me. stadium lights, box windows, some sort of reflection...

robert

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                              • Apr 2007

Another thing that seems odd in reviewing the photos for the ebay listing, one of the scuffs appears to go through the autograph. Now, how would that happen? Obviously, Mark wasn't wearing an autographed helmet in a game. So that scuff obviously did not happen while the helmet was in use.

Comment

Working...