PDA

View Full Version : Marucci Bat Records??

NegleyPirate
09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any Marucci bat records or know how to find out info?? I have a Freddy Sanchez Marucci gamer. Looking for info or pictures of him using it. Trying to photomatch it. If anyone has any info please email me.
Thanks,

metsbats
09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I've personally tried emailing and calling Marucci directly regarding bat model number for specific players and never got any responses. Hopefully you may have better luck.

David

NegleyPirate
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
I've personally tried emailing and calling Marucci directly regarding bat model number for specific players and never got any responses. Hopefully you may have better luck.

David Hey Dave, I found this article on Marucci:

Marucci bats have ‘major’ punch
Hogan Hardwoods helps Baton Rouge company make huge impact
O.K. "Buddy" Davis (buddy@rustonleader.com), buddy@rustonleader.com
07-24-2006

http://www.rustonleader.com/images/stories/1538.jpg Gary Sheffield, Manny Ramirez, Todd Helton and Albert Pujols play on different major league teams.

But they do have something in common.

They use the same type of bat.

It’s a bat made by the Marucci Bat Company of Baton Rouge.

But before that company which was founded in 2002 can turn out the
bats, they’ve got to have the wood.

And that wood is supplied by Hogan Hardwoods of Ruston.

Begun in 1993 by David Hogan when he was 21 years old and not all that far removed from having been a co-captain on Ruston High’s 1989 Quad-A state championship football squad, the Hardwoods’ plant has become the No. 1 link between Marucci and big league players.

And home runs, too.

In the recent All-Star Home Run Derby, champion Ryan Howard swung a Marucci bat. So did Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday and Educardo Perez.

“We supply Marucci with billets, which are baseball bat turning blanks, basically a 2 7/8 dowel or full round in hard maple or ash that are lathe (machine which makes the bats) ready and graded when they receive them,” said Hogan, the CEO of Hogan Hardwoods.

“The billets are between 98-101 ounces. We manufacture them from three-inch thick lumber and make them in Ruston. They’re cut, graded and weighed right here.

“Finding the wood has been tough, as the major league players want a minus two weight, meaning that, if they have a 34-inch bat, they want it to weigh 32 ounces.”

Hogan Hardwoods, the largest specialty hardwood distributor in the nation (10 distribution yards are located in five different states), has come to the rescue for Marucci by providing the right type of wood and delivering on time or at the beck and call of a major league player who has learned about the company.

“We’ve helped them (Marucci) get the correct wood for the product they are making,” Hogan said. “It is fortunate that Hogan Hardwoods has already moved large volumes of ash and hard maple, the species used to make bats. What we are looking for in a bat would make up about seven-to-10 percent of a tree. So you have to do something else with the rest of the wood (parts for cabinets, etc.). We can get them the billets. There’s been some holes, but we’ve filled them with a steady supply.”

And the more the word gets around, be it at big league or summer professional league parks, the more the phone will be ringing at Hogan Hardwoods.

Hogan is a partner in the Marucci Bat Company with founder Jack Marucci (head athletic trainer at LSU), Los Angeles Dodgers’ pitcher Kurt Ainsworth and former LSU football/baseball star and big leaguer Joe Lawrence.

“The day after the All-Star Game, we were riding in the car in Pennsylvania and Manny Ramirez called on Joe’s phone wanting bats,” related Hogan. “He was the top vote-getter in the All-Star balloting and asked Joe, ‘do you remember me? This is Manny Ramirez and I want bats.’ So right there, you can see that Marucci Bats are getting famous and the word is getting around. We shipped Ramirez bats earlier in the week and he got them and will be using them.”

That All-Star Game was extra special for David Hogan, too.

He had son Frasier with him, plus got to see the very bats that he helped make famous at work. The icing on the cake was supplied when Howard wound up as the winner, using a Marucci bat.

“Two of the players, Howard and Beltran, used our bats in the Derby and there were four players using our bats in the All-Star Game,” he said. “We watched Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday and Ryan Howard in the game using our bats, with Howard winning the Derby and Beltran getting two doubles and a single in the game.”

Along with the game, Hogan also toured the very sawmills in Pennsylvania and New York from which his company purchases lumber. While there, he explained the billet business and the exacting specifications in the wood.

Amazingly, the Marucci bats are made in the backyard at Jack’s house in Baton Rouge, in an 8-by-10 shed.

“I turn them, the kids will play with them in the backyard and the funny thing is you’ll see it in the next three or four days on TV,” Marucci said. “It’s kind of comical, because it’s something the kids were just playing with, and there it is, something the professional players are using.”

And, oh, how they use them.

Pujols, Sheffield, Ramirez and the many others who have located a virtual “Hope diamond” of bats swear by the Marucci brand. Not the well-known companies of the Louisville Slugger, Mizuno or Rawlings.

But Marucci, which began innocently enough four years ago when then LSU quarterback Matt Mauck suggested to Jack that he needed a bat made for his nine-year-old son, Gino.

From there, the company has grown into a veritable cult following among players, be they in the big leagues or on the professional circuit.

“Last year, about a thousand bats were produced,” Hogan said. “Our goal now is to jump that up to 1,000 per month. You’re talking 30 bats a day. We can do it. The word is getting around and we’re building a market for it with the major league players and those who play in the summer wooden bat professional leagues.”

The bats are popular because of the type of wood used, its feel and weight and the overall high quality of production and quickness with which they can be supplied.

“We want to make 1,000 bats a month that are perfect,” stresses Hogan, an All-State Louisiana Sports Writers Association center on that outstanding ’89 Bearcats’ squad that featured the inspirational leadership of Michael Parker, a tough linebacker whose wedding David will be attending this week. “With Big Leagues of Baton Rouge, Home of Marucci Bats opening up very soon, it will increase the traffic through the store. We are almost complete with a new website and we have a lot of excitement going with the product.”

Another big reason for the popularity of the wood provided by Hogan Hardwoods to Marucci is that the wood is “pitched” with a pitch meter.

“We do it the old-fashioned way, hand boned,” Hogan said. “Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams used to bounce them (bats) off of the concrete floor.”

Called “The Wood Guy” in the Marucci Bat Company partnership, Hogan believes there is no limit to what can be achieved with the product.

“I honestly think Marucci can be the best baseball bat and baseball apparel company in the world,” he said “I am proud to be partners with such great guys. And this is about as much fun as I have had since we were starting Hogan Hardwoods.”

Sounds like those Marucci bats are going to be rocketing plenty of home runs over big league and professional stadium walls for many years to come, too.

Thanks,
Mike

metsbats
09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks Mike. Have you seen the marucci site?

www.maruccibats.com (http://www.maruccibats.com)

-David

grenda12
11-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Ive had luck getting through by emailing them. I know they wont give much info concerning bat records. They wouldnt tell me how many were ordered during the time frame I was looking into. He just confirmed what I had thought the numbers were on the knob of the bat and told me what type of wood the bat was made out of and the actual paint finish.