PDA

View Full Version : Pujols gamer without a model number

metsbats
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALBERT-PUJOLS-ST-LOUIS-CARDINALS-GAME-USED-BAT_W0QQitemZ110173044656QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This bat has some nice major league looking use on it.

Anyone know why the model number would be absent on this bat?

Thanks
David

camarokids
09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
If you look close enough you can see a SEVEN (7) stamped into the knob end. The picture is taken at an angle to make it harder to see the "7" .
I would have to say the bat is a retail bat.........

BMH
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
That is a game replica bat. The "7" is something we came up with to make the bat different than a true gamer. Our M9 logo doesn't have a way to make it stand out like the line under the 125 so that is what we came up with. Plus, the GENUINE is centered over the name. On a gamer the model # would be present too. He newer replica bats have the model number on them but still have the seven stamped in the knob.

Vintagedeputy
09-24-2007, 11:30 PM
BMH - so you are saying that this bat is not legit?

Jim

cigarman44
09-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Not even close to being legit. Ball marks are on the completely wrong side for a Pujols gamer. Can't believe its as high as it is.

Vintagedeputy
09-24-2007, 11:49 PM
has anyone tried to contact the seller?

BMH
09-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I see the seller ended the sale early.

If you see a number stamped in the knob of a current player from us it will be a replica bat. The "7" stands for 2007. I know there are probably a million other ways we could have marked it but that's what our sales department wanted.

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2007, 07:40 AM
I emailed the seller who seemed to not know that it was a replica and he said that the bat came from another player.

Jim

cards-bats
09-25-2007, 08:28 AM
If you're interested, I've got a Pujols M9 bat for sale from '05 that is autographed. The bat is missing the model #, but it also has no stampings in the knob.
I was led to believe that Albert used some of these bats for batting practice. Mine shows very, very little use. There is a #5 in marker on the end.
The bat came originally from Grey Flannel and has a LOA. They will stand behind the auto. It is very big and bold with his #5 under his name.
Please contact me at jolanc71@gmail if interested in pics.

Thanks,
Jolan

metsbats
09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Nice job everyone.

BMH thanks for the info on the knob stamping.

David

BMH
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
No problem, our Specialized bat department is wanting us to turn out more and more replica's these days. You have the Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter (even has the Smith finish) and Ken Griffey Jr. replica's now. The Jeter and the Griffey are even offered in game weight. The Jeter does have the underlined 125 but the Manny and Griffey are both M9's so the only thing separating them from the real ones is the "7" in the knob.

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2007, 07:28 PM
BMH - You guys are doing some neat stuff there. I just bought a bat for my son through the ice cream promotion with Adam Dunn. Its a beauty! It has a 4 on the knob and its got his name on the barrell. Its going to be a Christmas present and he'll go nuts. Keep up the good work.

Jim

metsbats
09-25-2007, 07:53 PM
No problem, our Specialized bat department is wanting us to turn out more and more replica's these days. You have the Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter (even has the Smith finish) and Ken Griffey Jr. replica's now. The Jeter and the Griffey are even offered in game weight. The Jeter does have the underlined 125 but the Manny and Griffey are both M9's so the only thing separating them from the real ones is the "7" in the knob.

I remember in the early 90's 86-89 labeling HB bats for Yount and Brett had "S" stamped on the knobs to distingish them from those made for professional use.

The great thing about the new way is that you have the stamping on the knob AND no model number which is the dead giveaway it's a replica.

It's good to see HB doing all it can to prevent these replicas from becoming passed off as game used.

-David

BMH
09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I remember in the early 90's 86-89 labeling HB bats for Yount and Brett had "S" stamped on the knobs to distingish them from those made for professional use.

The great thing about the new way is that you have the stamping on the knob AND no model number which is the dead giveaway it's a replica.

It's good to see HB doing all it can to prevent these replicas from becoming passed off as game used.

-David

That's the problem...the new ones are basically game issued bats with a "7" stamped on the knob. They have the model number on the barrels. That's what I was trying to say is be careful because I've already heard of some of the Manny's trying to be sold as authentic.

metsbats
09-25-2007, 09:11 PM
I misunderstood. There are model numbers on certain players and only the stamp. Same as the old "S" stamped ones. I agree we need to be careful because anyone with a good sander can sand down the stamped knobs. That's a scary thought.

Thanks again
David

island_style
09-26-2007, 05:53 AM
I got a new catalog yesterday that showed the Jeter P72 bat with the same Black-Smith finish he uses. The description also says that it is the exact MLB #1 quality wood, finish and turning model as Jeter uses. Thank goodness the 125 is underlined.

David, good point about someone being able to sand down the knob to eliminate the "7" on the Louisville M9 bats.

BMH, isn't there some way to make the Louisville M9 decal different from the game model bats (like the 125 underline on stamped/printed bats)? By the way, I really appreciate your input on the Louisville bats in this forum.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

island_style
09-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Just saw a Jason Bay M9 Louisville bat in person (from a collector) the other night. It was a black bat and had I13 as the model number with the "7" stamped into the knob. After telling the collector about the "7" stamped into the knob, he notified the seller and was offered a refund.

Just wondering, how far down the food chain do these replica bats go? What's the bench mark on who gets a replica bat made?

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com