PDA

View Full Version : McGwire "Game Used" 1998 Bat

bigtruck260
09-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Anyone interested in a 1998 Mac Gamer? I found one on the Bay for $140. I guess that Mac was so locked in using his Big Sticks that he thought a change in materials might aid him in hitting balls farther and with more regularity. Offered here is a Young Company bat with "light use" from the record-breaking '98 season.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARK-MCGWIRE-GAME-USED-BAT-ST-LOUIS-CARDINALS-COA_W0QQitemZ180163090474QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:D :D :D :D

hblakewolf
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not aware of McGwire EVER swinging a Young bat in a game, or for that matter, in B.P.

Anyone have a shred of evidence to support the sellers claims that this ever touched McGwires hands?

Carlie.......

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ironmanfan
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
There have been Young Bat Company (black) bats that have been floating around the hobby that were supposedly used by Cal Ripken Jr. as well...Just another BS story

allstarsplus
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Drop $100 off the price and make it $40 which would be a good price for it. lol

I used to see at shows around 2001 a Young Bat display with "game issued" bats of Major Leaguers. Sort of like the XBats you can order direct from XBats :rolleyes:

If the player used the exact model, then there may be some collectible value I guess. Some claimed that Barry Bonds used Young bats prior to 2000. I have never seen Big Mac use one.

Andrew

bigtruck260
09-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I bet Birdbats could put the issue to rest - my point was that a guy who is blasting homers at record pace does not pick up another bat unless he HAS to - and switching brands just seems ridiculous. This is becoming a problem on eBay too - I have several bats at home that came with bad eBay photos and I took a chance only to find the bat was issued rather than used. Othe times I wonder if seller simply go out and play a little soft toss with thier buddies before listing an items as USED. Crikey.

Birdbats
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Mac used just one bat while with the Cardinals -- an unfinished Rawlings. The Rawlings rep once gave him a black bat with red print to try, but it never saw game use. There's no photo evidence Mac ever held a Young bat in his hands... and during his stay in St. Louis, he was one of the most photographed athletes on the planet.

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Notes%20and%20Articles/McGwire%20bat%20buyers%20guide.htm

cigarman44
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
You can see the 125 underlined on his AROD "gamer"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-GAME-USED-BAT-AROD-MVP-TEXAS_W0QQitemZ180163080054QQihZ008QQcategoryZ6059 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cigarman44
09-25-2007, 11:35 PM
All his past X Bats have the "rare" country flag on them as well

cigarman44
09-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I send ebay a fraud message about his current bats and the X Bats he has sold in the past. Hopefully they will do something about it

cjmedina1
09-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Bigtruck260

I have a DVD from the 1998 season.On this DVD is all 70 home runs games.After a few days making notes on pine tar patterns,Type of bat,This young bat was not a bat of choice for Mcgwire from what I can tell in the 98 season.

Feel free to check out these few web sites as they all have great MAC info on bats.

www.birdbats.com.

www.mcgwire.com

www.markmcgwirebats.com

Early in MAC career he did try a few LS bats.There is a few different models he did try but for the most part Rawlings was his bat choice.Well time for work feel free to email me with any more questions or post them here as I'm sure some of us can point you in the right direction

Carlie Meidna III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

bigtruck260
09-26-2007, 12:14 PM
CjMedina -

I haved seen your stuff out there - and know that your ar the Mac authority...thanks.

I think my point in this thread was that there are these abnoxious sellers out there that prey on the new and under-educated collectors. It's sad, really, collecting gamers is tons of fun - but for me, doing the research is 80% of the fun. I am convinced that there are a number of bad seeds out there that buy trophy bats from X-Bat, file off the flag...and cover it with a healthy coating of tar....and many other silly doctoring tricks. In time, the number of collectors will grow, and this industry will be riddled with "bat forgers".

This auction just happened to be obvious enough that any MAC fan could discern that this is a crap item...some of these guys are getting better though. Sucks, really.

Birdbats
09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I just talked with a reputable collector who owns a Young Company McGwire bat. He had the opportunity to speak with Chris Young about it once and here's what he was told: Young made 12 bats for McGwire in 1998 to the exact specs of Mac's Rawlings bat. Mac used one bat for BP on one occasion and never used them again, in BP or in a game. Supposedly, there is a photo of Mac swinging the bat; the photo was taken and sent to Chris.

If you accept Chris' story (I have no reason to question it), then the bat on eBay likely is one of those 12 bats made for McGwire. Is it "the one" Mac used for BP that one day? Well, the odds are 1:12 at best. When Young Company folded, it's inventory was sold... so there are 12 Mac bats out there somewhere.

bigtruck260
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
From the seller of the MAC bat....

I told him I didn't think MAC used Young bats.

Dear bigtruck260,http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifYoung Bat Manufacturing Company claims differently and COA so I'll stick with the manufacturer. McGwire did try these bats and so did Bonds among many others. I do have several McGwire Louisvilles and Rawlings gamers also. I have been collecting his bats and gloves since he was a rookie. This is a bat as is all other Young made bats that are on EBAY all the time from 100% Power Sellers for years. Thanks for your input.

I guess all Power Sellers are reputable....
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

GoTigers
09-26-2007, 05:53 PM
This guy should at least be busted on his "arod gamer"... also, I know the flag on X-bats indicates store model.. but I swear I've seen Vlad and I think Manny using a bat with flags on them before.. Is there another company that puts these on gamers? Thanks for your help on this, I'm new and still learning.

cjmedina1
09-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I just talked with a reputable collector who owns a Young Company McGwire bat. He had the opportunity to speak with Chris Young about it once and here's what he was told: Young made 12 bats for McGwire in 1998 to the exact specs of Mac's Rawlings bat. Mac used one bat for BP on one occasion and never used them again, in BP or in a game. Supposedly, there is a photo of Mac swinging the bat; the photo was taken and sent to Chris.

If you accept Chris' story (I have no reason to question it), then the bat on eBay likely is one of those 12 bats made for McGwire. Is it "the one" Mac used for BP that one day? Well, the odds are 1:12 at best. When Young Company folded, it's inventory was sold... so there are 12 Mac bats out there somewhere.

Jeff

Good work:).This is why Game Used Universe is the best.Everyone is willing to help each other.Keep up the good work all

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Yankeefan01
09-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I also Emailed him on the Sosa and Arod bats. The Sosa isn't a '98 and the ARod was covered above.

Here's the reply I received from him:

"THANKS BUT THE AROD BAT WAS BOUGHT AT THE NATIONAL SHOW FROM A REPUTABLE DEALER AND HE HAD A PICTURE W/ARD - MAYBE BATTING PRACTICE?

SOSA BAT WAS RIGHT FROM THE CUBS SO I'LL CHECK THAT OUT FOR SURE - I AM A CUBS VIP SO THIS IS NOT GOOD IF YOU'RE RIGHT.
THANKS"

And then his reply as he followed up with his "research" on the Sosa bat:

"see my add now -revised after talking to LS COmpany today. They did make bats for certain players with TPX on it 98-00 and MLB came out full time in 2001 on all bats. He said it was "all over the board" with what they did for certain players and prototypes. Sosa he verified by my photos was authentic and verifyable. Basically as a comapny TPX full time in late 99to 00 and MLB 2001. thanks as it was good to get the exact ruling. Shaun"

5kRunner
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Sosa taping his bats with the big tape ball at the end in 1998. Something else that may prove that this bat isn't a 98.

I was into game used stuff back then, so I could be wrong because I pay more attention to stuff like that now.

Yankeefan01
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Sosa taping his bats with the big tape ball at the end in 1998. Something else that may prove that this bat isn't a 98.

I was into game used stuff back then, so I could be wrong because I pay more attention to stuff like that now.

I think you're right there on the taping. The MLB/TPX logos on the bats also didn't show up until 2000.

Unless you listen to what he learned from talking with L-S.

bigtruck260
09-27-2007, 01:11 PM
He has been doing ALOT of revising lately. Check his revisions...

Birdbats
09-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Not sure how to interpret his explanation, but the MLB/TPX logos didn't migrate to the back of the bat until early in the 2001 season. Bats in 1998 didn't have any type of MLB logo, front or back. The tape job is consistent with my Sosa, which is a 99-01 model. No way this bat is from 1998 -- it's clearly from 2001 or later. It looks to be a legit bat. Why cast doubts on it by claiming it's from 1998?

bigtruck260
09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Jeff -

Another unscrupulous seller who is more anxious to scam the little guy than to make legit money through guys who know better. Funny how people are still trying to capitalize on the '98 season...

This thread would not be here if Young and Co. had not tried to get publicity in '98 by putting their bats in Mac's hands...might have been better if those unused 12 models were destroyed after Mac decided against using them....but then again, why toss them when money can be made on the secondary market....? Amazing how a seller can manipulate verbiage in a description sometimes.

bigtruck260
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Nothing against Young for doing that in '98...I would have tried to convince Mac to use my bats too!

bigtruck260
09-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but check out this one....looks just like the replica bat I was discussing earlier. ALL SALES FINAL...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Alex-Rodriguez-Game-Issued-Bat-Yankees-SP-PSA_W0QQitemZ160162468741QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 60162468741

earlywynnfan
09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-GAME-USED-BAT-MARINERS-1999-AROD-MVP_W0QQitemZ180163077862QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

why isn't anyone talking about this one?? That's a pretty nice A Rodriguez bat there; too bad it's some other rodriguez from the early 80s.

Ken

bat_master
09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-GAME-USED-BAT-MARINERS-1999-AROD-MVP_W0QQitemZ180163077862QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

why isn't anyone talking about this one?? That's a pretty nice A Rodriguez bat there; too bad it's some other rodriguez from the early 80s.

Ken

I agree with Ken. I already emailed the seller and told him it wasn't an A-Rod bat and that it was more than likely an Aurelio Rodriguez bat. He says he purchased it at the National and asked me if I even knew what that was.

I then proceeded to tell him it had 1980-82 labeling and asked what the numbers engraved on the knob are. I never heard back.

Too bad 1980-82 would have made Alex Rodriguez roughly 5-7 years old. I'm pretty sure little leaguers don't order bats from Rawlings.