PDA

View Full Version : An awesome good-bye from Craig Biggio

BMH
09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Yesterday we had a surprise at Louisville Slugger. Craig Biggio stopped in to say thank you for making his bats for the past 20 years. He personally thanked every worker on my floor and then handed out autographed "3000 hit" bats and some game issued autographed bats to the workers. Our head turner made him a H176 using the old hand turning lathe. He loved it and said he'd use it in tonight's game in Cincinnati.

That's the first time that anyone can remember a player coming to the factory and doing something like that. It's also one of the nicest things I've seen a player ever do.

chakes89
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I am watching him use the bat against the Reds as I type

It looks awesome

allstarsplus
09-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Andrew

AstrosCollector
09-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I am watching the game as well....class act all the way. Has been for 20 years! Thanks for sharing the story.

eGameUsed
09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Before the game, they said the bat weighed 2 ounces more than usual. He said he wouldn't use in the game, but probably in BP for a few swings. I heard the story and thought that was pretty neat! Makes me proud of my 28 Biggio's in the collection!

Thanks,

eGameUsed
09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Something of note about tonight's game! Biggio's hit was his 3,056th of his carrer, putting him in sole possession of 20th all-time. Rickey Henderson ended with 3,055 Hits. Having been collecting Astros items since 1987, it has been an honor to follow and witness those 3,056 Hits. I have met him publically countless times and privately twice, and have become known as the "game used bat guy" by Biggio. The way he plays the game is incredible! He will be missed at the end of the season.

BMH,

Could you e-mail me at eGameUsed@comcast.net when you get a chance. I am looking for some Biggio record info you might be able to help with. I have some of his records, but am trying to clarify some info.

Thanks,

MikeSimon
09-25-2007, 09:33 PM
...Sounds like Biggio is a class act. On and off the field!

BMH
09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I must say it was a great time. During lunch he talked about wanting to get home and watch his son play ball. He said he's been gone too long and doesn't want to miss any more of his games.

When players come to the factory we usually let them do the signing on the signature board. It's just a little stand made of wood that holds the bat and has a cushion on it to make it easier for the player to sign. Anyway, all the players who use it sign the board. Our museum curator pointed to a spot for him to sign and he said he didn't want to sign there. He looked up and said,"I'm not good enough to have my name above Stan Musial's". So he picked a spot on another side.

brianborsch
09-26-2007, 01:01 AM
That really is awesome. I cannot believe Biggio's greatfulness and humility. As stated before, truly a class act!

island_style
09-26-2007, 05:43 AM
In the previous Class Act/Class Clown thread, I named Biggio along with Gwynn and Ripken. Biggio's visit to the Louisville Slugger factory was above and beyond anyone could have imagined.

Chris, congrats on your 28 Biggio gamers. Given Biggio's style of play, I'm sure that each one of those gamers saw Biggio's 100% effort poured into them.

I hope that the other players (veterans and rookies) take notice of Biggio's approach to the game.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Tedw9
09-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Wow, what a great story. I did not know much about Biggio but you have just given me a good idea of what kind of person he is. I wish all players were that classy.

Thanks for sharing the story. :)

Vintagedeputy
09-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I just heard today that Biggio is going to catch a few innings in his final game - awesome!

TomTimmerman
09-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I just heard today that Biggio is going to catch a few innings in his final game - awesome!

He's catching and playing second tonight. He has to get hit by a pitch to top it off!