PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds Louisville Slugger M238

chief
09-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Hey everyone,

I got this bat directly from Barry back in 1985/1986 while I was a bat boy for the Giants during a homestand vs. the Pirates in Candlestick Park.

I have done research here and have been told that this model (M238) is extremely rare, as Barry used H238's for most of his career. I have even been told that only 12 of these were ever made. It has the Walker finish, ash handle / stained barrell.

Can anyone help me out with any other info on this? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Bondsgloves
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
If you would like to sell the bat or are taking offers please let me know. If you would like to email me photos of the bat including the handle I would appreciate it thanks.

klbaseball@aol.com

MSpecht
09-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi Chief--

You are correct about the scarcity of these bats--- In Barry's H & B factory records, only one shipment of Model M238 appears, with a shipping date of 2/14/89 which would place it in his hands in Spring training and early-season 1989. Specifications are 34 inch / 32 oz / Walker Finish 12 bats

Here is the interesting part-- Bonds ordered Model H238 first on 9-21-87, and the 15 consecutive orders from him preceding the 2-14-89 order
are all H238 with various finishes. and the next 106 orders from him (through 8-13-97) were also H238 or H238C. This is an interesting situation that has a few possibilities;

1) It has been long thought that the single notation of M238 in Barry's records was actually a data input error, and that the bats shipped to him were actually H238 (consistent with his previous and subsequent orders) and were branded H238. Your possession of this bat actually branded M238 shows that was not the case, and that 12 bats meeting these specs actually exist.

2) Another possibility is that the order was for H238 model, but an error occurred in the tool room and and the order was mis-stamped M238 and reported as such, which would make these actually H238 model bats in geometry, mis-stamped M238. Comparison with another H238 (or M238) model bat would tell the story here.

3) A third possibility is that an order for H238 was mis-read as M238, and the bats are actually M238 models, different in geometry from H238 models, and were sent to Barry.

4) it is possible that Barry actually ordered Model M238 bats in the middle of a string of 121 consecutive orders of H238 bats to try out. That seems unlikely, but the only other bats ordered with a Walker finish were P72 orders in 1985 thru 1987. With his overwhelming use of H238, possibly he ordered a different model (M238) and had a different, easily recognized finish to be able to immediately distinguish it from his H238 bats.

5) It is also possible that Bonds ordered these at the request of a teammate (the "stars get better wood theory" but the fact that you got this bat directly from Barry seems to dicsount this.

Regardless of which seems the most likely scenario, this is a rare Bonds model that represents either 1) a rare departure at the time for Bonds in trying a different model, or 2) a rare Bonds M238 "error-bat"

Clearly it is an interesting and rare Bonds bat that is documented in his H & B factory records, regardless of the circunstances surrounding it. If you could either post a photo here, or send a photo of the bat lebgth (finifh) and barrel stamping, directly via e-mail (see below) , I would appreciate it.

Good Luck --

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

BMH
10-01-2007, 07:07 AM
A picture of the bat would end the speculation. The H238 has a knob similar to the C271 meaning it has a flare to it. The M238 as stated by the turning model "returned from O16", so it has a standard knob similar to the P72.

Looking at his records, it has to be a mistake on ordering considering every model he has ever ordered from us has a flared knob.

Our head turner is out this week on vacation so I'll ask him when he returns.

chief
04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey guys, I've been absent for 2.5 years here, but just looked back on this post and was wondering if you're still here...I just took some photos of the Bonds M238 bat - shall I email the pictures to you at the email you provided, or do you have a new email.

Thanks for your help with this!!

MSpecht
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Here are the pics----

Nnunnari
04-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Looks like P72 knob to me.