PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating - Why bid to win if you aren't ready to pay?

3arod13
09-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Why do people think they can bid and win an auction, when they don't have the money to pay?

Makes me so mad when people do this. When I win an auction, I pay that day. I don't bid on something, knowing I don't have the money for another week or two.

Many times people do this.

- I had one win and then email me afterewards stating he's waiting for a check and will pay soon.

- One even asked me to wait a month.

- One won and then asked me to trade because he didn't have the money.

- I just had one use "buy it now", then email me asking to ship it via EMS to Tiawan. My auction clearly stated U.S. Only.

I can go on and on. This is so frustrating. I win...I pay the same day.

This is the most frustrating part for me on ebay.

5kRunner
09-28-2007, 07:46 AM
I completely agree!!!

I've been selling some of my cards recently on Ebay, because I'm moving up in the world to game used. :D

Wednesday, two hours before an auction ends, a guy emails me and says he entered the wrong amount when he bid, and if he wins he is not paying. Not only did that piss me off, but when I look at the auction, HE BID FOUR TIMES!!!!

Luckily he was outbid, but after I sent him a few "nice" emails.

Does anyone look at the where you ship an item to? I also have my auctions stating only US. So Monday a guy from Canada uses BIN. I tell him my auction states I will only ship to the US, BUT since he used BIN I will go ahead and ship it to him. Of course he still hasn't paid.

I always pay that day or first thing the next moring if an auction is ending late and I setup a snipe. I would never think of asking someone to wait for my payment. Mostly because I know what my reaction would be to that.

Completely frustrating.

TNTtoys
09-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Agree and disagree here.

Ebay has a policy that you must make contact within the first 3 days, and you must pay within 10 days of sale.

That said, as a seller, I like to receive quick payments... but if the buyer writes within the first couple of days and tells me they they will pay in a week, that's perfectly fine by me too.

It's all relative... would you rather receive a personal check immediately (let's say 2 days later by mail) which takes a week to clear -or- a paypal payment 1 week later? Perception is the second guy paid much later, but in the end, you got your money 2 days earlier.

As a buyer, I have been in positions where I asked the seller if I can pay for an item in a week. Usually because I can pay with a credit card and I know when my statement cutoff date is. If the month's bills are very high and I can defer owing the bank for another 30 days, why not. It's interest saved / money in the bank. That said, I have done nothing to violate any ebay policy.

On a similar note, the thing that has most bothered me as a seller is the "I placed a money order in the mail -- what do you mean you haven't received it yet?" excuse. It's a great cop-out for the non-paying bidder. I can't believe how many times I have been told this from prospective buyers. I can't believe the mail service is so poor when it comes to money orders only... ;)

bigtruck260
09-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I am almost reasy to stop accepting money orders altogether. I mean, I only accept when someone emails prior and I tell them that if the MO is not recieved within a week (enough time to get from CA to MO), I am filing NPB. It seems that many bidders either don't check emails (or spam boxes)...because after I week I email them at least once daily...usually to no avail. The worst part is that many of them do not even use the eBay checkout system on their end, and I have no contact until the MO shows up after being frustrated for 14 days.

What makes this even worse is that I do not leave neagtive for them...or neutrals because I have perfect feedback that I am proud of - and I have seen these type of people ruin it for other sellers with retalitory feedback. However, eBay allows them to "critique" us with a stupid STAR system where they can grade us on how fast we ship...:mad:

Why the hell can't sellers grade buyers on how fast they ship or how well they communicate??? This has probably already been addressed in another thread, so I'll stop before it gets too deep.