PDA

View Full Version : Get Joba or go to college

skipcareyisfat
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Much has been said about the nutty prices Steiner usually charges for game used material, so I have no idea why I continue to be surprised at some of their offers. I do like Steiner and have no problem with them, but like many of you I just got an email advertising Joba Chamberlain's first Yankees jersey for the sensational price of just $17,500. The funny thing is that they'll probably sell it for close to that amount, if not the exact amount. Same for the $20,000 Matsui and Jeter shirts. Too bad the Steiner/Yankees partnership wasn't around for 1990's Maasapalooza. Anyone here buying?

TNTtoys
09-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Jason,

Are you kidding me? This is a steal. You can buy 3 of these for the price of 1 Randy Johnson rookie jersey and still have $7,500 left over for a couple of caps worn by the Japanese player of your choice!!

Nick

skipcareyisfat
09-28-2007, 01:31 PM
True!! I've already set my $7,500 aside for the game used Dice-K cap used during the final game at Fenway during his first major league regular season while wearing low-top Nikes with the red swoosh special coming next week...

So what's with your boys, Nick? This four-game slide has me completely sickened! :D

TNTtoys
09-28-2007, 01:53 PM
So what's with your boys, Nick? This four-game slide has me completely sickened! :D

Some of my thoughts...

1. The Mets needed yet another big kick in the ass and they certainly have gotten one. I think they are either so overconfident that they can beat these 4th and 5th place teams or so complacent with having been in 1st place for the last 2 years... whatever the case, they now need to give Florida their "A" game... and I think they have it in them. I also think they needed to see the fact that they no longer have 1st place as a reason to put it up a level.

2. Smoltz and Hudson both lose this week but Chuck James gets the win? What is this team? The Bizarro Braves?
What is even more interesting is that fact that Chipper Jones, who has practically built an entire career on being a "Mets killer" boots a routine play which leads to 3 unearned runs for Hudson... and then he goes on to lose the game 5-4. I suppose if he's not killing us with his bat, he is fining new, more creative ways.

3. Phily won't give up an 9.5 runs per game to Washington like the Mets have done recently... For whatever reason, Washington stinks against the rest of the league but when they play the Mets they light up the scoreboard like they're Murderer's row. I don't understand it... but I guess when it comes to baseball, there's a lot we will never understand. I predict Phily getting 2 out of 3 from the Nats.

4. The Mets should take 2 of 3 from Florida at home. Perez and Glavine have been very good recently. As long as they can both pitch deep into the game and keep it away from the bullpen... and Mota especially! The Mets offense has not been the problem... but we all know that.

So... all signs point to a playoff on Monday for the division with Pedro on the mound for us. I seriously think it will end that way... and if anyone on our team is experienced enough for the challenge, it's Pedro. Question is, will he be good to go on short rest?

Vintagedeputy
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
I kinda feel bad for the Mets because they were doing so well and I like Willie Randolph alot but I have to admit I enjoyed the fact that the Nats smacked the Mets around....... :)

TFig27
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Much has been said about the nutty prices Steiner usually charges for game used material, so I have no idea why I continue to be surprised at some of their offers. I do like Steiner and have no problem with them, but like many of you I just got an email advertising Joba Chamberlain's first Yankees jersey for the sensational price of just $17,500. The funny thing is that they'll probably sell it for close to that amount, if not the exact amount. Same for the $20,000 Matsui and Jeter shirts. Too bad the Steiner/Yankees partnership wasn't around for 1990's Maasapalooza. Anyone here buying?

would you be able to email me that list

thanks a lot
tom

TFig27@aol.com

skipcareyisfat
09-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I was just talking to a guy in my office who's a huge Philly fan. I told him they had a convert for the next few days and that he needs to write the Braves a thank-you note or something. I'm at a loss to explain the Hudson-Smoltz games, especially since last night's was like a playoff game for Atlanta and Smoltz is the guy you want out there.

They had key errors from three guys who never make them, Jones, Smoltz and Teixeira. Truthfully though, James threw a poor game. It was the bullpen that held it together, which was good to see, although a little late. I would've loved another Sept. 5th-type comeback. The Braves were down 8-2 in the eighth against Philly and came back and won it that day. It's the kind of win that we were used to seeing here for so long.

The National League's gonna blow up this weekend and it's going to be soooo fun to watch. I hate that the Braves aren't in it, but I don't think I could be any more excited about the next three days (or four) of baseball.

skipcareyisfat
09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
would you be able to email me that list

thanks a lot
tom

TFig27@aol.com

E-mail sent, Tom.

metsbats
09-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Some of my thoughts...

1. The Mets needed yet another big kick in the ass and they certainly have gotten one. I think they are either so overconfident that they can beat these 4th and 5th place teams or so complacent with having been in 1st place for the last 2 years... whatever the case, they now need to give Florida their "A" game... and I think they have it in them. I also think they needed to see the fact that they no longer have 1st place as a reason to put it up a level.

2. Smoltz and Hudson both lose this week but Chuck James gets the win? What is this team? The Bizarro Braves?
What is even more interesting is that fact that Chipper Jones, who has practically built an entire career on being a "Mets killer" boots a routine play which leads to 3 unearned runs for Hudson... and then he goes on to lose the game 5-4. I suppose if he's not killing us with his bat, he is fining new, more creative ways.

3. Phily won't give up an 9.5 runs per game to Washington like the Mets have done recently... For whatever reason, Washington stinks against the rest of the league but when they play the Mets they light up the scoreboard like they're Murderer's row. I don't understand it... but I guess when it comes to baseball, there's a lot we will never understand. I predict Phily getting 2 out of 3 from the Nats.

4. The Mets should take 2 of 3 from Florida at home. Perez and Glavine have been very good recently. As long as they can both pitch deep into the game and keep it away from the bullpen... and Mota especially! The Mets offense has not been the problem... but we all know that.

So... all signs point to a playoff on Monday for the division with Pedro on the mound for us. I seriously think it will end that way... and if anyone on our team is experienced enough for the challenge, it's Pedro. Question is, will he be good to go on short rest?

Jose Reyes has shutdown the last two months of the season and without him as the spark plug for the offense they will find it hard to win. Witness the beginning of the season when he was batting .340 and bunting and stealing bases.

Delgado has resorted to hitting the ball past the shifted infield to get on base. In the first inning when he was a hit by a pitch i was actually happy he found another way to get on base.

LoDuco may have had his season ended last night after being hit by a foul on the knee. During his next AB he looked like the re-incarnation of Kirk Gibson in 1988. Even if he plays the next two game is not going to be 100%.

The starting pitching and especially the bullpen has been horrendous the last two weeks. Remove Pedro, Perez's 8 inning gem last week and Pelfry's game last week against the Nats from that category. However starting pitching has not been consistent and the bullpen completely collapsed and the offense now thinks it needs to score 8 -10 run a game to win and are pressing now.

The Mets are only 1 game over 500 at Shea! You should be kicking butt in your home field and playing 500 on the road! Also championship caliber teams should be able to put away teams like the Florida Marlins and Washington Nationals.

After last nights game I'm sorry to say the Mets are psychologically beat all for the reasons above. You can see it in their faces in the dugout and Ron Darling during his color commentary after the game two nights ago said they have to fight what's in their heads now. Perfect inidicator of this was David Wright's mental lapse last night when he tried to tag out a runner on a force play and missed.

We gonna need a miracle just like in 1969 to make the playoff this year.

David

Vintagedeputy
09-29-2007, 08:40 AM
David,

I hate to admit it, but I think the Mets really have psyched themselves out of the pennant race. This losing skid is like a giant hole swallowing them up. The Phillies have quietly closed the gap and now have taken the lead. The Mets need some kind of pep talk if they are going to recover.

Jim

metsbats
09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Jim,

I agree. They lost their momentum and Phillies have gained theirs.

-David

metsbats
09-29-2007, 10:39 AM
David,

I hate to admit it, but I think the Mets really have psyched themselves out of the pennant race. This losing skid is like a giant hole swallowing them up. The Phillies have quietly closed the gap and now have taken the lead. The Mets need some kind of pep talk if they are going to recover.

Jim

As Yogi put it

"95 % of the game is half mental"