PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea give me your thoughts Forum Members

richpick
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I am a Dodgers fan along with the Angels and Padres, I know So Cal raised and born. Here is my thought you all have seen STAT balls signed by players and Jerseys embroidered with a players career stats so how about this. As players switch teams usually a few times having a players team stats not career stats written by me on the bat (from his playing days with that team) and then signed by that player. It is hard to explain so I will give you an example:

Say I buy a game used bat of Ron Cey when he was playing with the Los Angeles Dodgers (1971-1982) and I write on the bat:

DODGER STATS
228 Homeruns
842 RBI's
.264 Average
6 time All-Star
1981 World Series Champion and Co-MVP

and then I have him sign the bat what are your thouhts on this. This would create a cool bat that represents his achivements with that team and collectible by a fan of that team but would decrease the interest from any other team he played for in Ron Ceys case the Cubbies. What I am trying to find out is do you think I have ruined the said value of the bat? I would do this for my own personal collection but I thought it would be interesting to see other members thoughts.

Of course you could only do this with retired players.

Thank you
Richard

metsbats
09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
I think it would be cooler and increase the value of the bat if you got Cey to inscribe it rather than you.

-David

richpick
09-30-2007, 09:21 PM
I think it would be cooler and increase the value of the bat if you got Cey to inscribe it rather than you.

David,

I agree but it may be hard to ask him to do this. Depends on the setting and where he would sign. I do not have a Cey bat this was just a what do you think but my thought was that if I did the stats I would take my time and it would look good rather then a player rushing and it looking like crap.

Richard

scottanservitz
09-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Richard,
I like my bats signed by the player whose name is on the bat. I also don't mind if they add a HOF or hits # in their inscription. I don't want a bat with writing on it other than that by the player only. To me, that would have a big negative value. Again, this is my opinion. If these are for you and your collection, it is up to you. But remember, if you are ever in the position to resell them then you might want to think about what the general collecting world would want. Just my 2 cents.
Scott

skyking26
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree with David. I have done bats and balls with inscriptions for years. I prefer an auto with an inscription, but in my opinion which it enhances the value done in the players hand, it decreases it done in your hand. I guess if you ever sold it - who would know - but just me knowing would irritate the hell out of me. Best setting is a show obviously, and often players charge a premium to sign an inscription. Only guy that ever bitched to me was Dave Bergman (Tigers utility IF). He said, "What am I writing, a book?" With the career he had, not sure what all the complaining was about...

island_style
10-01-2007, 05:48 AM
It's a Dodger bat from Cey's Dodger days, and you're thinking about having Cey's Dodger stats on the bat. I would prefer to have Cey pen his stats in his own hand.

I had some game issued Dodger helmets that I had the Dodgers Infield (Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey) sign with their stats. Garvey signed the inscriptions with his consecutive games played streak, number of Gold Gloves, MVP and All-Star MVP years and WS Champs year. He kiddingly told me that he was going to charge me for each letter, but he took his time and asked me where I wanted him to sign the stats. He was very cordial with the fans, even offering to help the people in front of me with their digital camera settings to have a picture taken with him.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

skyking26
10-01-2007, 07:27 AM
It's a Dodger bat from Cey's Dodger days, and you're thinking about having Cey's Dodger stats on the bat. I would prefer to have Cey pen his stats in his own hand.

I had some game issued Dodger helmets that I had the Dodgers Infield (Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey) sign with their stats. Garvey signed the inscriptions with his consecutive games played streak, number of Gold Gloves, MVP and All-Star MVP years and WS Champs year. He kiddingly told me that he was going to charge me for each letter, but he took his time and asked me where I wanted him to sign the stats. He was very cordial with the fans, even offering to help the people in front of me with their digital camera settings to have a picture taken with him.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com
Garvey has always been a class act.