PDA

View Full Version : Displaying items? auto's, holograms, UV?

STLWSB
02-01-2006, 04:19 AM
I was just wondering how some of you, here on this board, display your collection pieces? I have many things and try to keep all of it out of direct sunlight, but I am concerned about holograms losing thier adhesiveness, and bat stickers (sam, x-bats, and LVS M9) stickers coming loose. I also worry about auto's fading. Have any of you had any of these problems? Some of my items are in UV protected cases, some in regular cases, and some are not in anything. I have noticed no difference in UV protected cases and non UV when it comes to auto's. I have had items in different cases for a couple of years and noticed no fading difference between the two. Is it better to keep items in a dry or humidified room? Cool or warm? Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.
Thanks
Russell

STLWSB
02-01-2006, 06:30 PM
40 views today and not one comment on this subject, I guess no one who looked at this today actually owns any game used items? or they do not display or have anything out of storage. Thanks for the positive response, I will be sure to spread the word on all of the great help and comments I received, to people I know that collect game used items. I guess next time I want help with something, I will just have to start out by saying something negative about someone, then maybe I will get some kind of response.

stlbats
02-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Hello. I agree with you that legitimate posts like this should get more response and not just the arguing ones or someone getting slammed.

Furthermore, I keep all of my autographed baseballs in Ultra Pro UV cubes. Some are also in a cherry wood display case that I built with a UV glass door. All of my bats I just keep in bat tubes. Bat displays are very expensive. The tubes keep the dust off. I keep all of my stuff in a dedicated room in my house that no one goes in but me, so its pretty much dark all the time in there. My autographed photos, caps, batting helmets, ect. are mostly in plastic tubs.

Its more fun to display stuff, but the bottom line is if its in any light at all for very long, sooner or later its gonna fade. I have noticed that official MLB balls, not junk balls will sometimes get nasty yellowish spots on them even when kept in safe places. I havent found anyone that knows why this happens but it sucks.

Jason

kingjammy24
02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I have a 'bunch' of jerseys, balls, and bats.
The bats are kept in bat tubes.
The balls are in ball cubes, and (I know this sounds loopy), wrapped
up in plastic bags and taped up with duct tape. Air tight!
The jerseys are hung on pine hangers and kept in suit/garment bags.
The whole lot are in closets, kept in temperature-controlled darkness.
No need for any UV protection. None of it ever sees the sun. It barely ever comes out.

My reasoning: In 20 yrs, I don't want to be sitting on a pile of completely faded pieces that I spent years and years accumulating.
Although my 'hiding' it away means I don't get to see the items regularly, I think it's worth the hassle in order to preserve them over the long term.
A couple times a year, I'll get a hankering to look at some of the pieces,
and when I do, they're as crisp and unfaded as ever. Example: I have a 1991 All-Star Game ball that I spent the entire day in July getting personally signed by about 28 of the All-Stars. Due to my obsession with keeping things in mint condition and having kept the ball wrapped away and hidden in darkness since 1991, the ball today is as crisp and white as that day in July. None of the signatures have faded at all. Most 15 yr old
baseballs are pretty yellowed with very faded signatures.

I personally wouldn't be worried about holograms and the like over the long term. Do you really think most of the authentication companies are still going to be around in 30+ yrs? It's difficult for a sticker to keep its adhesiveness anyways. Not much you can do about that.

In terms of fading, just keep them completely out of the sun (and light).
Closets, bureaus, dressers, whatever it takes. My closet is pitch black 24/7, 365. Can't get better UV protection than that.

Ideally, you'd want a cooler room that's dry. Moisture and heat are not friendly to many different types of materials and textiles. If you want to see (and feel) what the perfect environment should be like, go to a good museum. They're usually quite dry and a bit chilly.

Rudy.

STLWSB
02-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have heard that the yellow marks that develop on baseballs are from oils on our hands, and the more they are handled the bigger chance this can happen. I bought a Pujols auto ball from Steiner, a couple of years ago, and have kept it in one of their cherry UV ball displays and not had any problem, everytime I handle it, if I have to move it or something, I use latex gloves. So far it looks like it did the day I bought it. I guess is something develops on it, it will be from Pujols holding it to sign it, or from a Steiner employee.

geoff
02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I have that problem with some of my autograph balls turning brown over the years too.They are all Bobby Brown baseballs and i never could find out why that happens.Thanks Geoff

stlbats
02-01-2006, 08:27 PM
It does seem like most of the time it is team balls that have problems. Perhaps this is because of the frequent handling it takes to put together a team ball. who knows??

Jason

eGameUsed
02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I was told by a couple of Tri-Star employees and memorabilia distributors that the browning of baseballs has to do with the thin layer of glue used at multiple spots to secure the leather to the core. Over time it gets through. I have been forunate enough to only have a few balls yellow. Knock on wood. I keep all of my items in two separate rooms of the house. One is more of a storage, the other a display room. Both kept dark all day unless I go in, dusted once a month or so. What's the point in having it if you don't enjoy it. I only have two jerseys, 3 bats, and one baseball not in my home and in a safety deposit box, but that is only because the value of the items is worth more than my home :)

Thanks,

Chris

hblakewolf
02-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Chris:

You make note that, "I only have two jerseys, 3 bats, and one baseball not in my home and in a safety deposit box, but that is only because the value of the items is worth more than my home :)"

Chris, My entire personal collection of Phillies game used items wouldn't come close to the asking price of a home in Central New Jersey!

I can't help but wonder what your priceless stash of equipment in the safe deposit box consist of? Can you please elaborate on what jerseys, bats and ball are under lock and key?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

eGameUsed
02-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Howard,

There are some pieces of my personal collection I share day-to-day, but a few are very private. Sorry!

Thanks,

Chris