Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Pujols Game Issued Bat - ASI

Just saw this one on eBay. In an earlier thread, there was a discussion about replica bats that looked much like issued bats - they had no model number though...and I thought they had a number on the knob (07, etc.) symbolizing the year manufactured. This bat has no model number - before I bid, I want to make sure that this is a true issued bat.

In my experience, asking a seller about an item like this is touchy...like you are accusing them of being shady. The other thing is the numbers written on the bottom and in the cup. I have a bunch of Cardinal bats, and none have a number written in blue sharpie....

The signature is 100% authentic, no doubts there.

Check it out when you have a minute. Thanks, Dave

Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic
  • 05whitesox
    • Sep 2007

Re: Pujols Game Issued Bat - ASI

Looks To Me The Bat Is Actually Game Used Due To The Fact Is Has The Mlb Player Symbol On The Bat With Tpx Which Ive Never Seen On A Replica Bat So I Would Say That It Is 100% Authentic

Comment

• 05whitesox
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by 05whitesox
      Looks To Me The Bat Is Actually Game Used Due To The Fact Is Has The Mlb Player Symbol On The Bat With Tpx Which Ive Never Seen On A Replica Bat So I Would Say That It Is 100% Authentic
      IF YOU CHECK OUT GETTY IMAGES AND LOOK UP AARON ROWAND YOU WILL SEE HE TOO HAS HIS NUBER IN HIS BAT CUP ALSO

Comment

• kingjammy24
        • Nov 2005

dave,

here are some excellent articles about pujols bats:

rudy.

Comment

• BMH
          • Jul 2007

All our game issued bats have the players model number on the barrel...period.

Second, It's an Ash bat, he hasn't ordered Ash from us in a very long time.

Third, it looks like a C271 from what I can see, he's never used one.
          Brian Hillerich

Comment

• BMH
            • Jul 2007

Don't quote me on that last one, the barrel doesn't look like it flares out enough to be an I13L.
            Brian Hillerich

Comment

• kingjammy24
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 05whitesox
              tons of retail LVS bats have the mlb logo with the tpx symbol. ta da:

for anyone seriously interested in collecting game-used bats, i think purchasing vince malta's newest book is imperative:

you probably couldn't find a better way to spend $39.95. i believe it's also available on ebay. after reading the book, you'll find there's a lot more to game-used bats than an mlb or tpx logo.

rudy.

Comment

• Birdbats
                • Nov 2005

This bat was made to be autographed, not used. Looks like a previous owner wasn't satisfied with a nicely signed Pujols bat -- they tried to make it look used. The "5" on each end was not written by Pujols or the Cardinals clubhouse staff; not even close to what you'd expect to see (the blue also isn't correct). What a waste -- I bet this was a great bat when it was mint and signed.
                Jeff Scott
                birdbats@charter.net
                http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
                  • Sep 2007

My thoughts too. Is that the ASI that is listed in many collection publications? It's the main reason I asked about the bat in the first place...if it is, then they are risking cred. by listing such a bat - and provenance that does not exist. I knew Jeff would chime in about the blue sharpie...it just does not happen like that in STL. Numbers are almost always in black - or silver on black...and on a few occasions, I have seen gold on dark brown bats in the late 90's.

A replica bat such as this one is - signed by Albert might fetch a few hundred bucks. Now, I wouldn't want it in my collection.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dave
                  Dave

sigpic

Comment

• jshortt
                    • Sep 2007

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for your help on my Pujols game used X Bat issue I had last month. Even though nobody could say anything for sure, I pulled the trigger, and it passed PSA/DNA. Now, hopefully, I can get Albert to sign it.

I'm thinking about making the trip from Cincinnati to StL for the Winter Warm-up. Does anybody know if Albert will sign bats if you manage to get a ticket for his line?

Thanks,
                    Josh

Comment

• Birdbats
                      • Nov 2005

Albert never signs bats at the Winter Warmup. For $150, you can get a ball or flat signed (at least that was the price last year). I doubt the policy on bats will change this year, especially now that Albert is under contract with UDA.
                      Jeff Scott
                      birdbats@charter.net
                      http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
                        • Sep 2007

Nope. Albert will not sign anything but 8x10's and baseballs...UD has put the cabash on it - and I am not sure if Albert wants to sign them anyway. The only way to get Albert to sign your bat is to marry into his family and wait.

Seriously. I have been to his restaraunt during lunch and watched how he is mobbed when he comes out from his private room - he is polite...and usually signs 10-20% of the crap put before him...no bats though. At Pujols 5, coasters are the medium of choice. If you bring your bat, call me and I will produce a photo-documentary for GUU.

Still - come out to the warmup. It is worth your time...kind of like a mini Midwest National. It can be crowded, overpriced and stressful - but you will enjoy yourself.

Dave
                        Dave

sigpic

Comment

• 70to66
                          • Sep 2007

I have a pujols bat and tried to trade him a painting of him that looked so real that unless you were real close to it you would think it was a photo, to sign my bat. We ended up trading 4 sweet spot full sig signed balls for the painting. He said he could not sign bats due to a contract? That was in 2004.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                            • Sep 2007

...and I don't think he had a contract with UD until the end of 2006. He sold everything on his Foundation Website. He knows how valuable his signature is, and is aware of the fraudulent activity associated with it. Even at shows in STL, you only see a few true Pujols sigs. The rest? Purchased from eBay with a COA .

Not knocking Albert. He is quite the philanthropist...just gets a little edgy around the fans and media. The world local media use is "surly".

Maybe one day you will find Albert at a Tri-Star show, and he will sign your bat. You can tell him how you waited 20 years...by that time, you may need an armed guard to walk you through the line...or if he gets traded to the Cubs you can take it to the batting cages (JK)
                            Dave

sigpic

Comment

• jshortt
                              • Sep 2007

haha, thanks guys. I had heard that Albert really didn't like signing bats, but didn't know if he made an exception for the Winter Warm-up since everybody was paying him. I figured it was a personal thing that he could pawn off on a 'contract,' as from what I have heard, he has ALWAYS been weird about it, not just recently.

I might still take the chance. I have a friend in StL that I need to visit anyway. Maybe I can beg him/tell him he can personalize it, etc. On another note, does he give the full A.Pujols 5 signature at the Warm-up, or just the standard APj that I see most of the time?

Thanks,
                              Josh

Comment

Working...