PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Sellers Who Do Not Accept Paypal

jayt1234
10-12-2007, 08:46 AM
I recently bid on two items (and won both) where the seller's did not accept Paypal. I was a little frustrated because I should have checked first so it was my mistake, but I am a little suspect of this. Do any of you guys have a any problems bidding on itmes where they request checks or money orders only?

I guess they may have had past issues with Paypal, but the transaction takes so much longer to finalize and you are putting an extra bit of trust in the seller as well.

Jay

skyking26
10-12-2007, 09:14 AM
As a buyer, I love paypal because of the speed. As a seller, I always request a check or MO as paypal charges a fee. I have never heard anyone complain, all they have to do is check my ebay rating...

Vintagedeputy
10-12-2007, 09:21 AM
I have been a seller on ebay since June of 1998 and have a feedback rating of 275 or something, 100%.

I only started accepting Paypal about 8 months ago after ebay started gigging people for allowing cash payments. I had always accepted cash, checks or money orders. I didnt care for Paypal because A) I was getting way too many "fishy" paypal emails for my liking and B) because I had read where people could steal money from your paypal account. When I found out that you can transfer payments directly into your bank account and not leave the money sitting in your paypal account waiting to be stolen, I decided to give them a try.

Dont hold it against those who choose not to use paypal......just use your best judgement.

Jim

3arod13
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
No problems at all. However, I don't accept personal checks due to problems with insufficient funds. I always ask for paypal, money order, or cashiers check. Never send cash!

TNTtoys
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
As a seller, I found that you have to take the good with the bad with paypal.

Pros -
1. So many people out there prefer to use it to pay because it is fast and easy. By not accepting it as a seller, you are losing potential customers.
2. You are paid quickly, and the payment most often clears immediately.

Cons -
1. They take a fee out.
2. If the buyer pays you with a credit card, they can contact their credit card company at some later date to "dispute the charge" for any reason (unsatisfied with item, etc.). The credit card company then goes to bat for the buyer, and paypal immediately takes the money out of your paypal account until the matter is settled. This can take 3 months. In the end, you most always lose, and you get charged fees too. This happened to me twice now, and both times, the buyer was at fault...but the buyer's credit card company won the dispute and paypal did squat to help me.

Con #2 is probably the single biggest deterrent to accepting paypal as a seller, but if the odds of it happening are about 1 in a 1000, then you have to see Pro #1 as a far bigger reason to use it.

mvandor
10-12-2007, 10:17 AM
I hate it when a seller doesn't take Paypal or another onlione payment because writing and sending a check, and waiting for it to clear, not only delays shipping by 7-10 days, but eliminates any protections if something goes wrong.

I will only bid under such circumstances if the item is very unique, or the cost savings is persuasive.

Vintagedeputy
10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
As a seller, I found that you have to take the good with the bad with paypal.

Pros -
1. So many people out there prefer to use it to pay because it is fast and easy. By not accepting it as a seller, you are losing potential customers.
2. You are paid quickly, and the payment most often clears immediately.

Cons -
1. They take a fee out.
2. If the buyer pays you with a credit card, they can contact their credit card company at some later date to "dispute the charge" for any reason (unsatisfied with item, etc.). The credit card company then goes to bat for the buyer, and paypal immediately takes the money out of your paypal account until the matter is settled. This can take 3 months. In the end, you most always lose, and you get charged fees too. This happened to me twice now, and both times, the buyer was at fault...but the buyer's credit card company won the dispute and paypal did squat to help me.

Con #2 is probably the single biggest deterrent to accepting paypal as a seller, but if the odds of it happening are about 1 in a 1000, then you have to see Pro #1 as a far bigger reason to use it.

If you immediately transfer the money to your bank account, paypal cant take a penny from you.

TNTtoys
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
If you immediately transfer the money to your bank account, paypal cant take a penny from you.

This is true...however, there is consequence. They put you into a negative balance, and you are unable to complete a transaction until you replenish the negative balance. All payments to you go against the nagative (paypal gets the money, not you); all payments from you are disabled until you pay off the entire negative balance. It's a lose-lose situation.

Vintagedeputy
10-12-2007, 11:24 AM
This is true...however, there is consequence. They put you into a negative balance, and you are unable to complete a transaction until you replenish the negative balance. All payments to you go against the nagative (paypal gets the money, not you); all payments from you are disabled until you pay off the entire negative balance. It's a lose-lose situation.

That does stink. I think at that point, I'd just create another paypal account if I could.

bigtruck260
10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
1000 eBay transactions...

5% of sales are affected negatively becuase seller delays payment longer than 10 days. This happens with money orders AND Paypal.

1 item lost in the mail - (Derek Jeter auto card, of course) Paypal took $120 from me after the seller filed a dispute. I ate the cost and refunded him...I did not trust him, but my fault for forgetting to use signature or delivery confimation.

$700 item (Hard drive) was purchased, box of junk (literally) arrived...with delivery confimation. Paypal was ready to side with the seller (10 feedback) until I sent them proof that I opened the package at the postal counter in front of the postmaster...something I do not normally do, but I was suspicious of the outer packaging and very light weight. I took photos with my cell phone. Paypal finally reimbursed me after a month - something that never would have happened if I sent the guy a money order. He was using a bogus name and address, etc. His bank account was apparently set up just for the purpose of running a scam. Luckily, I was the first one to get ripped off and I fought back. Even stranger is that eBay deleted the entire transaction from their records - like the auction never happened.

My overall opinion? Ebay and Paypal take a lot of money from me, but they provide security. I have had one incredibly bad transaction in 6 years...If a seller does not take Paypal, I am leery to buy.

I can understand why someone selling a $10,000 item would avoid Paypal though. That's quite a bit of overhead.

broome1000
10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Paypal is very convenient for buyers and expensive for sellers. The Ebay and Paypal fees can add up to 10% of the overally transaction. I don't base my Ebay purchasing decisions on Paypal. To do so would be to pass up some great deals for the sake of convenience.

I recently bid on two items (and won both) where the seller's did not accept Paypal. I was a little frustrated because I should have checked first so it was my mistake, but I am a little suspect of this. Do any of you guys have a any problems bidding on itmes where they request checks or money orders only?

I guess they may have had past issues with Paypal, but the transaction takes so much longer to finalize and you are putting an extra bit of trust in the seller as well.

Jay

madlab7
10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I have to say that I both send and receive money with Paypal. I have been on ebay since 1999, when I was in the 8th grade. I had not had a problem until last year, when they froze my account for selling Wiis during Christmas. It only took a couple days to clear up though. The only beef that I have is the fee that they take out on low priced items. Add that to ebay fees and it gets costly.

My main beef is with ebay it self as they suspended my seller account over the summer and force me to make another one. I was a power seller with 1100 transactions and they still will not do anything about it. Guess, I just have to work my way back up unless someone else that has had the same problem has any suggestions.

steeltownjerseys
10-12-2007, 05:44 PM
In my opinion not accepting Paypal because of fees is very short sighted! Your item will most likely sell for a higher price, if you accept it.
I'm sure Reebok could save a lot of money by not advertising.....but wait, oh yeah....there sales would sink!
You can't look at it as overhead...it's marketing.

allstarsplus
10-12-2007, 06:57 PM
As a buyer, I love paypal because of the speed. As a seller, I always request a check or MO as paypal charges a fee. I have never heard anyone complain, all they have to do is check my ebay rating...

People may not complain but you will lose bidders in my opinion. I almost never get checks, but here is a scumbag who just bounced a check and still hasn't made good.

Beware of Mr. Lamm who claims there was no way his check went NSF since his balance was over $40,000.

Surre makes a lot of sense to carry $40,000 in a checking account@@@!!!!

I have whited out name and address and account #'s

What scum!!!!

Andrew

33bird
10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
My first few years I accepted it and paid with it. Liked it a lot. Until somehow someone started clearing out of my account. That was that. I got it back but why chance it? I know it costs me a few sales because someone is too lazy to drop something in the mail, but just be careful. There's a site out there somewhere full of horror stories about paypal. If someone knows it, please post it on here. I was thinking of trying it again, read all those posts, and said, "No Way". Just my 2 cents.
Greg

33bird
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Also, if you send a MO or Cashiers Check, it's as good as cash. I've sent those on Monday and had my item by the end of the week when a seller is prompt.
Greg

indyred
10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I won't bid on an auction that doesn't accept Paypal. Many reasons that have already been posted here I agree with. My other big pet peeve with sellers is when they have one freakin picture of the item. Even high dollar stuff. I won't bid on auctions with crappy pictures. I'll never understand why they can't spend 15 cents for each extra picture. I think you can have 8 pictures for $1. You lose bidders big time doing this. A seller thinks he is saving money doing this, is actually losing money in the long run. No Paypal, Poor pictures = Low prices.

33bird
10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
If I want an item bad enough, I'll pay any way they want brother! But, I agree with the picture thing. I just took a chance and picked up a Tony Perez game used bat with a Reds coa. Got it for 200.00. Only one picture. Sooo, I open the box today, pull it out and it looks great. Tons of use-all the Perez characteristics-and then I roll it over and a HUGE chucnk is missing out of the barrell. NOT A WORD about it in the description and of course the picture didn't show it. Anyway, I'm returning it.
Greg

geoff
10-13-2007, 02:45 AM
I wont touch an Auction that says Check or Money Order only.

3arod13
10-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Even with the fees, I love using paypal. It's fast and I do agree more people will bid, so the prices will go uch higher, making it easy to accept the fees.

I've always look at it this way...without ebay, I'm limited to where I can sell stuff. With ebay, the world sees what I have to offer, opening the door to make much more money.

Paypal...it's convenient, fast, and it's worth the fees.

I recently had someone rip me off of ebay. Filed a complaint with paypal. They took the money from the sellers account (which of course ticked him off) and I recovered the full amount. The only thing I didn't like about ebay was, even after I proved to ebay that I won my case and the seller's intent was to rip me off, they still woulnd't remove the retaliation feedback the seller left for me.

Feedback....now that's a whole other issue. They need to fix it. Many won't leave well deserved negative feedback in fear of retaliation. What this does is let those thiefs continue to stay on ebay and rip more people off. Why they refuse to fix this, I don't know.

jayt1234
10-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I just wanted to follow up that I did recieve both items with out any problems other than they both took a lot longer to recieve than I would have liked due to the delay in shipping.....Cost me a bit more also because I had to pay for a money order and $4.00 to send Priority Mail...I still would rather pay through Paypal but if they have solid feedback I would take the risk again.....However I do now look to make sure and if they have low feedback rating I would think twice.

Jay