PDA

View Full Version : Respected Authenticators

broome1000
10-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I have learned some useful tips here and hopefully I will be a better collector in the future. I see many comments here regarding fake memorabilia and good and bad authenticators. I thought a discussion on the subject might be helpful for people like myself who are just starting out and really don't have a clue. So the question is who are the respected authenticators and who should be avoided? I want to purchase good game used memorabilia but would like to avoid getting burned.

33bird
10-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Mears for jerseys. Taube/Mears for bats.
Greg

David
10-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Of course the buyer shouldn't rely only on the LOA and all companies will make mistakes from time to time, but Team LOAs and LOAs from companies that are under contract to handle the material for the teams. Steiner (Yankees, Mets, etc), GameExclusives (Dallas Cowboys, etc), MeiGrey (NBA teams) are all respected names and their LOAs are reliable for the teams they serve. Of course these LOAs indicate that the item came from the team, which is good to know-- especially as you don't always know where an item came from. MLB.com and NFL Auctions COAs are good too, indicating that the items came from the leagues.

bigtruck260
10-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a hard time trusting any of them 100% - although, from what I understand, Taube and Bushing are great at what they do.

I stopped collecting autographs a while back after I realized that the only way I could get any $$ for them if I needed it was to have them all authenticated. I am a Cardinals collector, so obviously in the past 50 years, only a handful of guys are worth it (Musial, Flood, Maris, MAC and Albert) Edmonds, Gibson, Brock, etc. are great players, but to spend $25 on an auto is cutting into the profit terribly.

With Bats and game used items, I don't buy unless an item's characteristics make me AT LEAST 99% certain that the player actually used it. For bats...if a Pujols bat has 10 chracteristics, and 2 of them are questionable, I would stay away.

The only purpose I would have for an authenticator is if I was planning on selling a high end item - Since I only collect Cardinals bats, I could probably refer the buyer to Jeff Scott (Birdbats.com) as Jeff is probably as credible as it gets in that niche...as with all niche collectors. A guy who only collects Wille Mays is going to have as much or more knowledge than the pro authenticators.

If I sound bitter, it is because I have lost money on items that I bought with no authentication and had them authenticated. For instance, A Joe Medwick signed HOF plaque postcard is purchased for $300. JSA charges $75 for the sticker and cert number + about $13 shipping to and from. Listing fees for a $100 item on eBay...subtract about $5 after photos, etc. Final value fees...another $3-5 and then there is Paypal...$3-5.

---------
197 See?

Then, you have to take into consideration that your item may be rejected...if you use PSA or JSA, you are still responsible for the fee. AND just because an item is rejected, it does not mean it's forged....it's really just an opinion. As with all authentication - it's an educated opinion...and in MY opinion, I can do that myself for nothing. Sorry about the rant.

Dave

broome1000
10-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Dave,
That was very informative.
Thanks

GameBats
10-13-2007, 07:20 PM
If you are looking for game used bats I highly recommend John Taube - JT Sports.

- John

bigjimsguitars
10-13-2007, 08:37 PM
It does rankle me that the authenticators charge different amounts for different star status players than that of your daily grinders. Where's the ethics of it all? How about a flat rate on authentications no matter who the player is?

If I'm lucky enough to get a star caliber players autograph in person, why should someone else charge me 2 to 4 times more to get it verified/authenticated.

sammy
10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
PSA/DNA has raised their gouge to 100 for a Mickey Mantle signature.

Besides the price being outrageous, here is another aspect of that rip.

An auction house letter did cost 25 to get replaced with a full letter before they raised the price from 75 to 100.

Now the auction house letter will cost you 75 to get upgraded to a full letter due to the fact that signatures costing 100 or more for authentication, start at 75 for an upgrade.

They also raised their Babe Ruth authentication to 200.00.

What a BIG RIPOFF PSA/DNA has become, and they aren't that reliable in my opinion.

Vintagedeputy
10-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Authenticators charge more for stars because they know that an authentic Mickey Mantle sells for way more than an authentic Mickey Morandini.

All they are trying to do is cut into the auto owners profit.

Jags Fan Dan
10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Yackel is doing authentications now, but I think he gets $100 a pop!

cjclong
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I wanted to add my recommendation of John Taube also. I have found him to be completely honest in my dealings with him.