Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stlbats
    • Nov 2005

Displaying bats without cases

Hello. I notice a lot of people display their bats on racks, with no tubes or anything. I have always kept all of mine in tubes. My question is, do you ever have a problem with dust collecting on the pine tar over time? After a while, the tar isnt too sticky but their seems to be a chance.??

Thanks
    Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net
  • 05whitesox
    • Sep 2007

Re: Displaying bats without cases

I HAD MY KONERKO BAT OUT FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO AND THE PINE TAR WASN'T STICKY AT ALL THE DUST DESTROYED IT SO KEEP IT IN THE TUBES
    1961yankee@gmail.com
    www.freewebs.com/kennysmemorabilia

Comment

• skyking26
      • Dec 2005

Personal preference. I have had it both ways. For years I had them in tubes, now I do racks - see no difference. I like to be able to walk up and grab a bat instead of messing with a tube...

RK
      ROBERT KOPPEL
      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
      and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

I've never had problems with racks though most of my bats are on racks in a closet without a door so there would be minimal dust exposure. On a game used bat if the pine tar is new and sticky I would think dust would be a problem after a few months but not an older bat whose pine tar already dried.

I think displaying a jersey exposed to the air would cause more of a dust problem.

David
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
          • Oct 2005

I use both, depending on the bat. Most of what I get, the pine tar is old and dried. My Posada bat for example is still very sticky so I keep that in a tube to maintain the stickyness (sp?).

Jim

Comment

• AstrosCollector
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

I too use both. I have never really seen a problem with dust collecting. I keep all of my bigger named stars in the bat tubes. Sometimes if I get a new bat with real sticky pine tar I will put it in a tube until the tar dries. A couple times I have just put it on the rack with the tar still really sticky. It has never collected dust but it sure dried up quicker than if it was in a tube.

Comment

• jonincleve
              • Apr 2006

i made up these bat racks to display 10 bats at a time. i also put a lazy susan hinge and the top so the top can spin in a circle. i like the free standing units when there is space available.

take care
              john
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...