PDA

View Full Version : Displaying bats without cases

stlbats
10-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Hello. I notice a lot of people display their bats on racks, with no tubes or anything. I have always kept all of mine in tubes. My question is, do you ever have a problem with dust collecting on the pine tar over time? After a while, the tar isnt too sticky but their seems to be a chance.??

Thanks
Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

05whitesox
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I HAD MY KONERKO BAT OUT FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO AND THE PINE TAR WASN'T STICKY AT ALL THE DUST DESTROYED IT SO KEEP IT IN THE TUBES
1961yankee@gmail.com
www.freewebs.com/kennysmemorabilia (http://www.freewebs.com/kennysmemorabilia)

skyking26
10-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Personal preference. I have had it both ways. For years I had them in tubes, now I do racks - see no difference. I like to be able to walk up and grab a bat instead of messing with a tube...

RK

metsbats
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I've never had problems with racks though most of my bats are on racks in a closet without a door so there would be minimal dust exposure. On a game used bat if the pine tar is new and sticky I would think dust would be a problem after a few months but not an older bat whose pine tar already dried.

I think displaying a jersey exposed to the air would cause more of a dust problem.

David

Vintagedeputy
10-15-2007, 06:08 AM
I use both, depending on the bat. Most of what I get, the pine tar is old and dried. My Posada bat for example is still very sticky so I keep that in a tube to maintain the stickyness (sp?).

Jim

AstrosCollector
10-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I too use both. I have never really seen a problem with dust collecting. I keep all of my bigger named stars in the bat tubes. Sometimes if I get a new bat with real sticky pine tar I will put it in a tube until the tar dries. A couple times I have just put it on the rack with the tar still really sticky. It has never collected dust but it sure dried up quicker than if it was in a tube.

jonincleve
10-16-2007, 06:23 AM
i made up these bat racks to display 10 bats at a time. i also put a lazy susan hinge and the top so the top can spin in a circle. i like the free standing units when there is space available.

take care
john