PDA

View Full Version : Football GU Collectors... Would You Rather

toddhead
10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Would you rather have a GU Jersey that is attributed to a specific game or would you rather have a GU Helmet attributed to an entire season? I'm trying to decide between a jersey or a helmet. Which would you choose and why?

scottanservitz
10-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I think there has been many discussions on here about the many dangers about game used helmets. They can be almost undectable on authenticity, but there are a couple posters who know almost everything to look for as far as coding and dating helmets. Jerseys are almost as dangerous for the same fact, but there are avenues you should take when buying either. Where it comes from has a lot to do with your chances. NFL auctions and Provo tagging are good places to start. Also, there are some very reputable dealers such as Jim Yackel or Ball Park Heroes. They seem to have connections that are pretty good. One thing I really like about football equipment is you should be able to have a decent chance to photomatch pieces if you know the year of use. I have exactly 2 jerseys and one is photomatched to 2 games and the other has a WETRAK tag and is in their database. So I am very comfortable with both. Do as much research beforehand and make an educated decision. In the long run it will help you feel more comfortable in your purchase. And don't forget to use this forum for as much help as you can get. It usually is as good or better than anywhere else you look. Atleast in my opinion. Look at the current GU auction as well. Tons of great stuff there. Hope this helps and good luck.

Scott

toddhead
10-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Scott, thanks for the reply.

The jersey and helmet would be come from Game Exclusives, so I wouldn't be worried about authenticity. My question was whether or not you, as a collector, would rather have a jersey or a helmet? The jersey is game dated and the helmet was used for the entire season. Which would you prefer?

Jags Fan Dan
10-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Assuming both are authentic, the helmet is much rarer to find. I guess if we are talking similar prices, the helmet would be the way I would go.

beavisrules
10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree with Jags Fan Dan - if the source/authenticity is of no question, you go for the helmet, because the real helmets are harder to find. Presently, it seems like some players wear 16 different jerseys for the 16 game season to sell each one off - and that doesn't include all the game cut/issued ones that come into the market. Yet, if only one helmet was used for the entire season, not going to be many on the market for that player, except for the fakes. Until they start wearing 16 helmets in each game, a real authentic game worn helmet will be harder to find.