PDA

View Full Version : The game used "one red paperclip" experiment

Vintagedeputy
10-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Have you guys heard of the "one red paperclip guy"? This guy decided that he wanted a house. He created a website in order to trade up with other people to get a house. He started by offering one red paperclip. He ended up getting some nice stuff, being on tv and got involved with Alice Cooper and Corbin Bernsen, the actor. Eventually, he got his house. Here's the story.....http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

So I'm sitting here reading this and thinking, "why cant I do that with game used memoribilia"?

ok, so I already have a house, but what is something cool that I would want......a Ruth jersey? Black Betsy? too difficult...

No, let's make it something that's fairly easy to obtain.

I want a game used bat of a Hall of Famer. Anyone. Could be from Ty Cobb to Kirby Puckett, I'm not picky.

ok, so here's the rules. I am looking for a game used bat (any brand) of a baseball Hall of Famer. I'll even consider someone that is a sure thing to make the HOF (like Henderson, Biggio etc). The bat can be cracked although not destroyed. The bat must be a professional game model bat that matches factory records and/or player's use characteristics. I would prefer something that has some standard signs of usage (bat rack, ball marks, pine tar, etc). I will offer a game used item and will want to trade up to eventually get to the bat. I dont expect a HOF bat to be offered at the start of this. I'd love to see how far we could take this and how many pieces I could "own" in order to reach my goal. Trade offers can be for any type of game used equipment (jersey, bat, hat, glove, surprise me, etc).

I will consider all offers, whether publicly posted here or made in private and will post actual trades here to show the progress. Each trader is responsible for the postage in shipping the item to the other person. Sounds easy enough, right?

ok, so now, what to offer......obviously I cant offer something as insignificant as Luis Gonzales' used chewing gum.

Here's my offer - I am offering a pair of 1985/86 game used Pony brand spikes used by former Yankee Dan Pasqua. I have had these spikes since 1986. Each spike has been autographed by Pasqua, bears his number #21 inside and shows excellent use. They would be a wonderful addition for a Yankee collector. Here's a picture of the spikes...

Now, what's your offer?

Jim

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4663/pasquaspikesli1.png

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6417/pasquaspikes2dz8.jpg

murderers_row
10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Er...

One red paperclip? http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

worldchamps
10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I love the idea...however I think you are going to have to move the items on ebay or craiglist or somewhere other than here.....please keep informing us though

Everyone on here , if trading are going to trade for items or equal or lesser value. I can't imagine someone trading something of signficant value for them....no offense.

I think you can reach your goal by selling them for $30-$50 on ebay...then taking that $ and hope to make a find on ebay. Ex I bought a pair of Scottie Pippen game used shoes on ebay for $50. Say then I came on here and sold them for $150. Then go back to ebay buy a game bat on someone for $100, and something else for $50. Come here or an auction house and sell for $150 and $70. etc etc etc

I think that is a better way of performing this experiment.

Please keep us informed though, how great and fun will it be if you can pull this off.

Maybe I will try with those mentioned Pippen shoes and see what happens.

Bill

Vintagedeputy
10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
worldchamps - I appreciate the thoughts.

The goal here is to try to trade without having to buy or sell. It may take a while but I'm sure someone will decide to help the cause. Its a fun idea that costs me nothing but postage.

Jim

Vintagedeputy
10-18-2007, 07:45 AM
no takers?

Juicyfruit66
02-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Never even got a paper clip