PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for photomatching?

Vintagedeputy
10-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Photomatching seems to absolutely be the way to go these days. I was just wondering, what monetary value a collector would assign to have photographic proof that his item was in fact game used?

Would you pay $5 per bat? $10?

just wondering....

jon_8_us
10-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Photomatching seems to absolutely be the way to go these days. I was just wondering, what monetary value a collector would assign to have photographic proof that his item was in fact game used?

Would you pay $5 per bat? $10?

just wondering....

If someone could photomatch a bat for me where i have failed i would pay 5-10 bucks....
Jon

skipcareyisfat
10-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Depending on the item, there's no doubt that I would pay a lot more than $10 -- and so would most other collectors. I imagine, for instance, that Dave might be willing to pay a few hundred or more for indisputable evidence that Ripken used the HA glove.

ahuff
10-19-2007, 09:04 AM
It would almost depend on the value of the item. I guess it would be like the recent craze of having sports cards graded.

Certainly an item that if photomatched would fetch $10,000+, I would say several hundred dollars would be reasonable if not too low. However, would I pay the same amount for one of my $100-200 Jeff Kunkel jerseys. No way. I would expect to pay maybe $50 for something like that. Because obviously I would want a professional quality 8x10 photo (or larger) which wouldn't be cheap. I'd expect to pay for the photo, research, and everything else.

bigjimsguitars
10-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Not to throw a monkey wrench into all of this, but photomatching is not an exact science, but in many instances it is prertty damn close.

However, one must consider the source of the photo match as it's all to easy to photoshop or create a picture to match something and then place a hefty price tag on it. The source must be of public record and gee look what I found in a pile of pictures (although that could be were it may legitimately found).

ahuff
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
However, one must consider the source of the photo match as it's all to easy to photoshop or create a picture to match something and then place a hefty price tag on it. The source must be of public record and gee look what I found in a pile of pictures (although that could be were it may legitimately found).

Very good point!!! Especially, in today's world, where it is so easy to alter photos.

Vintagedeputy
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
good points by all, thank you.

bigtruck260
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Has anyone seen the new Heritage catalog cover?

Ruth and Cobb using the bats offered in the catalog (or great photo shop work)

bscott
10-19-2007, 11:13 AM
My best guess is that, realistically, the cost of photomatching should begin at around $50.00 an item, and that is just for modern bats and jerseys. Vintage bats and jerseys would command a hefty premium to be photomatched.

Authentication is an insanely difficult science to begin with, but photomatching will open up a whole new era in sports memorabilia collecting.

Photomatching gives the buyer and seller evidence that a particular item has actually been "game used." With this evidence in hand, sellers will be able to charge much more for items (think of the rock solid provenance -and high prices- that come along with Steiner items), and buyers, I believe, will pay more for these items, knowing that they're getting the real deal. This mutual feeling of comfort between buyers and sellers is desperately needed in this business. COA's and LOA's are great if they come from trusted sources, but photomatching is the closest thing to proof of game use that exists in this hobby/industry.

That said, of course there will be problems: doctored photos, inconclusive photos, or no photos at all. And these problems will be amplified regarding vintage items. Moving forward, however, there will only be more and more photographs (or still images taken from High Definition Video) of any particular game to reference. Databases such as Google Images, Getty, Corbis, MLB.TV, etc. are all in their infancy. In time, there should be no shortage of photos to match items to.

In fact, it would be great if MLB Authenticated got involved in photomatching early on. Also, it would be good to see PSA/DNA begin to offer photomatching with their authentication services.

-bscott.

kylehess10
10-20-2007, 12:39 AM
For me personally, I'd pay depending on how long I've been looking for a certain photomatch. For example, I've had my Juan Encarnacion game worn unwashed TBTC jersey for a year now and I've searched far and wide and still haven't even come up with a single picture of him from the game. That I would pay big for when it comes to a photomatch. But for something like my Jarrod Saltalamacchia & Edgar Renteria game used bats which I aquired just 2 days ago, I wouldn't pay that much for a photomatch being that I haven't even searched that much yet. I always like to do as much searching as I can for a photomatch so if I don't find anything in the end, THEN I'll pay big.

allstarsplus
10-20-2007, 07:22 AM
For anyone who doesn't know, Jim Reynolds has helped many Forum members with complimentary photo matching to game film.

John Taube has that sliding scale cost of authentication based on the value of the bat so that would make sense for doing photomatcing services on bats and jerseys.

Jim, you should contact MEARs and Taube and offer your services as a great add-on.

I am thinking of that great job you did identifying that Ryan Zimmerman bat was used on the last game of the year. Now if you can transfer the game film to a photo shot with clarity and this will be groundbreaking technology! If there were some way to go to the MASN studio and take the film on HD and freeze frame! I have a ton of items I would pay $100's for that opportunity!

Great work! Andrew

PS - Jason Halliburton needs help on a Zim broken on 9-24-07!!!

Vintagedeputy
10-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Andrew -

Thank you for the kind words. I asked the original question as I was just sitting here one day wondering if this is the next big hobby wave like graded cards. In my mind, the only thing better than photo matching is having the player hand the bat to you himself after he uses it.

The main issue, as you stated is the clarity of the photo. I have a pretty decent high res monitor and I can shoot digital pics off of that. Sometimes, I can get a great pic and sometimes I can see a match with my eyes but it doesnt show up all that well in a pic. Pick a few games and watch them one after another and you'll see why its a problem. Day games vs. night games, road teams vs. the home stadium. Sometimes the camera just doesnt get close enough or when they do, they player is not showing his bat. He then raises the bat and the camera switches to another shot! Its frustrating!

I was thinking about whether or not I could make a side business from this and perhaps make a few bucks for my hobby endeavors. Most of the time, if I can see the match, I can get a decent photo that would make the bat owner happy. I just wouldnt use that photo in an auction catalog. Its just not going to be that professional quality needed.

Swoboda4
10-20-2007, 08:34 AM
As I've said before every MLB game is video taped and either archived by MLB.the team or cable company. Not only is there a photo from news services digitaly photographing practically every at bat but every move of the baseball from everygame with at least 4 television cameras. The question is how can we access this and can someone purchase the rights to access this for our requests and make a career out of it. Because how would you like to own not only photos but an entire game on video with your item? Well guess what the video and photos exist somewhere.

Vintagedeputy
10-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Swoboda - I agree with you.

I started the photo matching process originally with my Posada bat. I was able to get a decent screen shot by taking a digital pic and then I video taped it the entire at bat using my digital camera. Its a little grainy but I now have video of that bat being used for a hit. I'm trying to figure a way, technology wise, to increase the clarity and final product.

Jim

allstarsplus
10-20-2007, 08:48 AM
with at least 4 television cameras. The question is how can we access this and can someone purchase the rights to access this for our requests and make a career out of it. Because how would you like to own not only photos but an entire game on video with your item? Well guess what the video and photos exist somewhere.

With digital Hi Def filming, you can still frame the digital image and get crystal clear photographs from the still frame.

If someone were willing to pay MLB a big enough fee, I am sure they would make you an official licensee for the purpose of still framing video for photo matching purposes.

Andrew

indyred
10-20-2007, 10:28 AM
It is possible to record HD games in HD. Then just still pause and get pictures from it. Gotta love HD, can see every mark on a bat and scratch on a helmet.
MeiGray has a photo-matching service with getty. I had them match a Thrashers jersey for me awhile back. They priced it out by what the value of the jersey is. For common player jersey it was something like $30-$40 for them to print and send it out. They also register the picture with the jersey in MeiGray data base. You get the date of when the photo was taken on the photo itself and it's got MeiGray seal stamped into the bottom of the photo. I'm pretty sure they will also do stuff outside of hockey as they have getty access. Here is an example of a MeiGray photo.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/peterworrellguy/gagne_photo_match.jpg