PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with Steiner Spring Training Jerseys?

broome1000
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I recently purchased a spring training jersey of a prospect my son and I am interested in. The jersey is supposed to be game used and was to have been worn in the first spring training game and comes with a steiner certificate of authenticity. I was able to photo match the player wearing the jersey on that day and decided it was legit. Today I happened to be on the teams website and just out of curiosity checked the box score for that day and the player didn't play that day. I called the seller and he explained that he was going by a steiner definition of game used but was very understanding and offered a full refund. Am I missing something or does a uniform only have to be worn on the bench for an item to be considered game used these days. Any comments are welcome.

dcrules01
10-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Bench players bullpen pitchers.As long as they are at the game in uniform it is considered game used.They do not have to field pitch or hit.

bigtruck260
10-23-2007, 12:06 AM
My understanding of "game used" by retailers and non-collectors...

BP bats are fine.
Batting practice jerseys from AL pitchers are acceptable.
Uniforms worn by dignitaries during opening day ceremonies (Larry Walker in STL 2006)
Uniforms worn by bench sitters left off of playoff rosters (Jason Marquis in 2006)
Issued bats that have rack streaks and a thin layer of tar (I call these "prepped")
Baseballs that were fired into the dirt and immediately rolled into the dugout for authentication.
Under Armour shirts that are used to lift weights and hit in the cage before and after practice.
Uniforms of bullpen coaches/catchers - see some throwbacks of these type people advertised.

Steiner should hold themselves to a higher standard. Bottom line. A pitcher's BP jersey is something they should exclude from inventory.

Dave