PDA

View Full Version : Phillies fraud alert - eBay

bigtruck260
10-23-2007, 11:24 AM
I am not even a Phillies collector and I see numerous things wrong with this item. Feedback should a tip-off, but some will bid - as one person already has. I had a gentleman contact me offline about a Pujols bat that this seller sold - which I had to tell him was a total fake. EBAY - DO SOMTHING ABOUT THIS. PLEASE.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Used-Philadelphia-Phillies-Signed-Bat_W0QQitemZ140171244941QQihZ004QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RobSteinmetz
10-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm assuming you have contacted the seller with your concerns. His response was?

Thanks,

Rob

Vintagedeputy
10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
The listing says that he has photos of each person signing the bat. I'd like to see the photos before saying that the item is fraudulent.

just my .02

Jim

bigtruck260
10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Actually Rob -

After the buyer contacted me regarding his Pujols bat (apparently he clicked on the ABOUT ME link and noticed that I am a Cards guy). I asked the seller a few questions about his other items to see what the response would be. My questions always include (if applicable):

Can you prove specific use?
Why not have such a valuable item authenticated?
Why is the price set so low?

It is my experience that sellers who have something to hide (and know that you are an educated buyer) will not respond to questions that are posed to them in this manner. The rare times that they do, they take a very defensive stand and almost never answer your questions. In this instance, after several attempts to contact the selller that went unanswered, I gave up...assuming that I was being ignored.

I read the most recent post about rules, and it is understood on my end. It is frustrating that after reporting this particular seller to Safe Harbor, he/she is still able to sell "questionable" items to unsuspecting buyers.

My wording could have been better in the original post - but my research is thorough and I always attempt to contact sellers. eBay has rules that forbid anyone from contacting buyers - it is called "transaction interference". I guess that is one of the great things about this forum...we can alert buyers outside of eBay's jurisdiction about potential scams.

I get it though, rules are rules.

Dave

bigtruck260
10-23-2007, 02:06 PM
The listing says that he has photos of each person signing the bat. I'd like to see the photos before saying that the item is fraudulent.

just my .02

Jim

For an item like this, wouldn't you expect to see photos posted already?
It is not difficult to post images with an artificial watermark. If I had photos of the players signing the ACTUAL item, I would post as many as possible. Too many times, sellers post photos that are generic signing photos that they re-use repeatedly.

In this case, the seller has sold numerous similar examples of this item, so posting photos would lead one to suspect something fishy is taking place.
I have emailed the seller to ask for photos. If get any type of response, it will be posted.

b.heagy
10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
This seller caught my attention awhile ago. seems to have a never ending supply of autographed phillies bats. I emailed asking for pics of the players signing the actual bat in the auction with no response. Seller has another phillies bat listed. I have emailed requesting pics of the players signing this one as well. Will post a response if I receive one.

skyliner59
10-24-2007, 10:01 PM
My son had two Phillies team bats signed this season. One black with silver signatures, the other blonde with blue signatures. For anyone interested I can foward photos of what the real signatures look like. splayford1@comcast.net.

bigtruck260
10-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Still waiting on my answer from this seller. I asked about his latest batch of Phillies signed bats...

chakes89
10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Did anyone else notice that the bat pictured wasnt even the bat listed?

And how bad is that Cole Hamels sig?

b.heagy
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Several emails (one per newly listed bat) with no response. Looks like the buyers are starting to wise up. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=mizmoody28&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:2:us&iid=140172481895

No response from ebay about the sellers items yet.