PDA

View Full Version : SI Report - "Wood Bats Are Doomed" in MLB!

cjw
10-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Ok, so it was in the July 24th, 1989 Issue of Sports Illustrated, and they reported that aluminum would replace wooden bats within 10 years...but it still an interesting story for bat collectors. Takes the reader into the world of bat production and finance.

mwbosoxfan
10-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Interesting! The fact that so many bats today shatter into oblivion or into lethal spear-like projectiles, I wonder what will happen the first time they have to surgically remove a jagged barrel from a MLB pitcher's shoulder. It's one thing to crack a bat, but the way they shatter today, I would think there would have to be thoughts as to implementing safety specifications for manufacturing bats to help limit this.

murderers_row
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
It's one thing to crack a bat, but the way they shatter today, I would think there would have to be thoughts as to implementing safety specifications for manufacturing bats to help limit this.

Maple bats shatter, ash bats crack. Simple solution?

No maple bats.

bigtruck260
10-23-2007, 10:47 PM
From the LS rep on our board....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=11481&highlight=maple

bigjimsguitars
10-23-2007, 11:33 PM
IIRC, some time back there was discussions bandied about MLB allowing Ceramic bats as they don't break and maintain the same or damn near the same characteristics of wood bats...

Of course that didn't happen, at least yet. Man bats will get real expensive for collectors if that does happen as players will be using the same bat for the rest of the their career(s)....

Maple is harder and has a different grain pattern that results in it shattering and snapping, whereas Ash has longer grain and is a bit more flexible and while tend to crack and not snap or shatter....but that is redundant as it's already been pointed out.

MLB needs ban Maple Bats at some point for safety reasons and look into other species of wood that have near or similar properties to Ash for hardness, density and grain...Alder is one that readily comes to mind....

Vintagedeputy
10-24-2007, 07:10 AM
If I had to choose a good Wood, I'd go for Smokey Joe or Wilbur! :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/Smokey_joe_wood.jpg/200px-Smokey_joe_wood.jpghttp://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/five55/.mids/1015HST64267.jpg

bigjimsguitars
10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Apparently. the Cape Cod and Alaskan Minor Leagues have experimented with Birch for bats with glowing success according to many of the players who say Maple is a thing of the past...

Birch is lighter and that allows for a bigger barrel at the same weight as Maple and doesn't snap like Maple...

TNTtoys
10-24-2007, 11:35 AM
If I had to choose a good Wood, I'd go for Smokey Joe or Wilbur! :)

So... are you saying you wouldn't choose Kerry because he is not as durable as the other types of wood??? :D

Seriously, I have already chosen one of your versions of "good Wood." I have a Wilbur White Sox gamer in my closet. One of my favorite pieces! Course, that is one of my favorite "non Mets pieces."

Vintagedeputy
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
So... are you saying you wouldn't choose Kerry because he is not as durable as the other types of wood??? :D

Seriously, I have already chosen one of your versions of "good Wood." I have a Wilbur White Sox gamer in my closet. One of my favorite pieces! Course, that is one of my favorite "non Mets pieces."

Kerry seems more likely to shatter. I think Smokey Joe or Wilber would be a stronger, more durable wood. :)

Jim