PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever..?

madlab7
10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I was wondering have you ever sold anything on ebay to someone famous, or perhaps sold a card or game used item of someone to themselves? For instance a friend of mine of plays has went on ebay and bought their own cards before because they gave all theirs that Topps game them away. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same?

BULBUS
10-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I sold a couple of game used items to Jesse Barfield, not his own though. I sold Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, and Rickey Henderson game used bats to him.

sylbry
10-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Not anyone famous but, I sold a Len Whitehouse game worn Twins jersey to Len's neighbor. Len coached his son's little league team and planned on giving Len his old jersey back before a game. I received a letter back saying Len recognized the jersey instantly and that he never got to keep one of his old jerseys (played in the Calvin Griffith era) so he was thrilled to see this one.

David
10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I once sold on eBay a great original photo of 1940s Chicago Bears Pro Bowl running back Marshall Goldman. The 1940s photo was for 'Marshall Goldman Day' in Chicago and showed him in cowboy suit, six shooter in one hand and a football in the other. The winner was Goldman's son. He told me he showed the then 80s-something Marshall the eBay listing and asked if he'd seen that image before. Marshall said he hadn't, so the son won it to give to his Marshall.

David
10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
From both ends of the political spectrum:

I once sold on eBay to a member of former Congressman J D Hayworth's staff 1920s-40s MLB baseball player Ray Hayworth signed glove contract. The contract was to be given as a gift from the office staff to JD, as Ray was his grandfather.

I sold a rare 1800s baseball card on eBay to Keith Olbermann, a well known card collector. He was polite and respectful, as most people who have dealt with him will testify, and his check came with a signed note on Fox Sports letterhead.

skipcareyisfat
10-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Jerome Jurenovich once emailed me through an eBay auction to see if I had any game used, flapless Expos helmets for sale. His email started something like this, "Hi, I'm Jerome Jurenovich and I'm a TV sports anchor...." I would've sold him mine, but I was so star struck that I forgot all about it.

He's at SportsSouth now and does a lot of work with the Braves, which is funny given that his worst sports moment--according to his bio below--occured in 1992 courtesy of Sid Bream and Franky Cabrera. And to make matters worse, he was apparently also "living in the worst sports city in America." Poor Jerome, TV sports anchor.

http://www.altitude.tv/WhatsOn/bios.aspx?ID=3

richpick
10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I once sold a Kevin McReynolds game used bat to a female cousin of his on ebay. She had never met him but wanted the bat because she thought it would be neat to have and even asked me questions about him as a player.

I sell at the Rosebowl Antiques and Collectible show second Sunday of every month and have seen and sold to many celebs. Here is a list of the ones I remember:

Pamela Anderson:D
Darryl Hannah:D
Corbin Bernsen (Major League, "Vaughn I got one thing to say to you, strike this MF out")
Martha Stewart
Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes
T.R. Knight (George from Greys Anatomy)

and yes even celebrities ask for a reduced price!!!!!

Many throughout the years and only the last few months I take my digital camera and will take pictures with the celebs next time I see them

Richard

jonincleve
10-25-2007, 04:19 PM
i sold some metalworking equipment to jesse james at monster garage and have sold some baseball things to mel harder, jim mudcat grant and felix wright of the browns. sold some things to mike sherman when he coached in green bay plus some odds and ends to the sacramento kings pr department.

take care
john

cjw
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I sold a double amareto (liquor) to Hammerin' Hank and a glass of cabernet to his lovely wife.