PDA

View Full Version : Any Dodger Jersey Experts?

Marichal27
10-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I have a home 1974 Alston Set A. I know that the Dodgers wore a black armband in the memory of Ken McMullen's wife who died. The jersey I have does not or show that it never had the armband which was on the left sleeve.
Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.
cgunnarh2@yahoo.com

bigjimsguitars
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Not sure I would qualify as an expert, but I don't recall there being a Left arm Memorial on the 74 Jersey's. I do know that it should be a Goodman and Sons made Jersey and the tagging you suggest sound right for the period, i.e, set A

kingjammy24
10-25-2007, 04:24 PM
"On April 8, 1974, Dodgers left-hander Al Downing became part of history when he gave up Hank Aaron's record-setting 715th home run at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
One person who wasn't there for the historic event was Downing's teammate, right-hander Don Sutton, who now is an announcer for the Nationals television network. He was in Los Angeles attending a funeral service for the wife of Ken McMullen, the Dodgers' backup infielder. In fact, the Dodgers paid respects to McMullen's wife by wearing black arm bands that same night.."

"Monday, April 8, 1974

IN THE NEWS: As noted by Dave Smith, the Dodgers are wearing black arm bands this game (and for the next few) in memory of Ken McMullen's wife, who died just before the season started."
------------------------------------------------------------------

1. maybe they didn't wear them for the entire season
2. maybe your jersey was used in spring training
3. maybe it's a game-issue that never had the band applied

rudy.

bigjimsguitars
10-25-2007, 04:27 PM
"On April 8, 1974, Dodgers left-hander Al Downing became part of history when he gave up Hank Aaron's record-setting 715th home run at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
One person who wasn't there for the historic event was Downing's teammate, right-hander Don Sutton, who now is an announcer for the Nationals television network. He was in Los Angeles attending a funeral service for the wife of Ken McMullen, the Dodgers' backup infielder. In fact, the Dodgers paid respects to McMullen's wife by wearing black arm bands that same night.."

"Monday, April 8, 1974

IN THE NEWS: As noted by Dave Smith, the Dodgers are wearing black arm bands this game (and for the next few) in memory of Ken McMullen's wife, who died just before the season started."
------------------------------------------------------------------

1. maybe they didn't wear them for the entire season
2. maybe your jersey was used in spring training
3. maybe it's a game-issue that never had the band applied

rudy.

Rudy, I believe that you may be right, that they wore the black band for only for the day of the funeral, but I clearly do not recall seeing them wearing them during the games that I attended in 1974.

bigjimsguitars
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM
The Dodgers lost to the Oakland A's in the 74 WS and there should be pictures from that series to document if they indeed wore Black Arm Bands...

karamaxjoe
10-25-2007, 07:13 PM
This webpage is a nice reference for patches and armbands that have been worn by all teams.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/patches.htm

Mike

Marichal27
10-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. This jersey wouldn't have been used in spring since it's tagged 1974. If you look at the clip of Aaron hitting #715, you'll see Al Downing, the pitcher, wearing the armband on the left sleeve, of his road jersey. I was talking to someone on the forum today, and he didn't think that they wore it in the World Series. He thinks it might have been temporaly. Back then they didn't have team issued jerseys, they wore all of the sets, not like some teams of today. I'm just trying to nail it down since I can't find any stich marks, but they could have been streched out over multible washings.

Marichal27
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Maybe it's possible they wore it for just that game. I saw that site on the HOF page, same images as in the book, "BasebaLL Uniforms of the 20th Century by Marc Okkonen. That book has a lot of holes, as an example, for the 1977 Giants road, it shows them wearing white sanitaries and black shoes. They wore orange sanitaries and white shoes, trying to copy the A's somewhat. They don't even show a photo of the 1982 jerseys when they wore a 25th year patch, or the 1984 jerseys when they wore the All Star Game patch.