PDA

View Full Version : Rawling Baseball Production

joelsabi
10-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Cannot believe I stumped this whole group

Does anyone know the MLB practice for transition of baseballs to a new league president?

Here is the scenario.

AL owners elect Gene Budig as league president‚ replacing Bobby Brown, on June 8, 1994.

Alex Rodriguez debut in the majors on July 8, 1994.

My question is what ball did Alex Rodriguez see in his first at bat:
a) A Bobby Brown American League Ball
b) A Gene Budig American League Ball

I guess my question is does anyone know if they start producing the new balls with the new American League President during the season or do they wait for the following year.

AstrosCollector
10-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I would assume that they would not produce the new baseballs until the following season.

3arod13
10-28-2007, 03:41 PM
In Chronological Order
NameTerm
B. Bancroft "Ban" Johnson

1901 to 1927

Ernest S. Barnard

1927 to 1931

William Harridge

1931 to 1959

Joseph E. "Joe" Cronin

1959 to 1973

Leland S. MacPhail, Jr.

1974 to 1984

Robert W. Brown

1984 to 1994

Gene A. Budig

1994 to 1999

3arod13
10-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I would assume that they would not produce the new baseballs until the following season.

You are correct!

3arod13
10-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Cannot believe I stumped this whole group

You will never stup this whole group. The answer will show up sooner or later.

Gene Budig baseballs came into use in 1995

3arod13
10-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Factor Four The item that the signatures are signed on will also determine the price. It could also aid in determining if the signature is authentic. Was the item signed produced during the players life time? In the example of a signed baseball. Take note ofhttp://keymancollectibles.com/images/keyman39.jpg (http://keymancollectibles.com/images/wpeE7.jpg) the league president on the ball. Mickey Mantle signed very few Gene Budig baseballs which came into use in 1995, the year Mantle died. He was also very ill that year and didn't sign often. Although it is possible to have one it is unlikely, and should at least send up a red flag.

Source: http://keymancollectibles.com/keymanletter6.htm

ironmanfan
10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I have a game used ball from August 1, 1994 which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2000th consecutive game in Minneapolis & it is a Bobby Brown ball.

joelsabi
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
You will never stup this whole group. The answer will show up sooner or later.

Gene Budig baseballs came into use in 1995

I didnt think would stump the group but gave a motivational statement to get an answer.

My hunch is the same as the first response since the transition was at the end of the year. the ripken ball example verifies that this correct.

actually your ball was the reason for the question as am actively look for one.

I have found 3 other arod balls with bobby brown. I found one similar to yours in a hall of fame collectors collection and two on ebay but the autograph looks like his autograph in 1996. Also saw an identical signature ball but on a budig ball but was wondering if i should settle for this or search longer for a bobby brown ball.

this discussion leads to think i want a bobby brown ball.

thanks for everyone's input.

PS. 3arod13 is your arod ball for sale any time soon? also i think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.

joelsabi
10-28-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a game used ball from August 1, 1994 which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2000th consecutive game in Minneapolis & it is a Bobby Brown ball.

the concrete evidence i needed. thanks

joelsabi
10-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Factor Four The item that the signatures are signed on will also determine the price. It could also aid in determining if the signature is authentic. Was the item signed produced during the players life time? In the example of a signed baseball. Take note ofhttp://keymancollectibles.com/images/keyman39.jpg (http://keymancollectibles.com/images/wpeE7.jpg) the league president on the ball. Mickey Mantle signed very few Gene Budig baseballs which came into use in 1995, the year Mantle died. He was also very ill that year and didn't sign often. Although it is possible to have one it is unlikely, and should at least send up a red flag.

Source: http://keymancollectibles.com/keymanletter6.htm

Great reference website.
I guess a Fifth Factor would be mismatching. If Alex Rodriguez never saw a Bobby Brown baseball in his professional career than this would be a mismatch. The signature would be authentic but on a mismatxh ball. Another example is have Arod's signature on a RON league ball but then again thats now thats possible with interleague play.

joelsabi
10-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I think Justin works for Rawlings.

According to the manufacturer records that I have on file, Budig balls were not produced until 1995. Hope this helps.

3arod13
10-29-2007, 01:54 AM
I didnt think would stump the group but gave a motivational statement to get an answer.

My hunch is the same as the first response since the transition was at the end of the year. the ripken ball example verifies that this correct.

actually your ball was the reason for the question as am actively look for one.

I have found 3 other arod balls with bobby brown. I found one similar to yours in a hall of fame collectors collection and two on ebay but the autograph looks like his autograph in 1996. Also saw an identical signature ball but on a budig ball but was wondering if i should settle for this or search longer for a bobby brown ball.

this discussion leads to think i want a bobby brown ball.

thanks for everyone's input.

PS. 3arod13 is your arod ball for sale any time soon? also i think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.

email me at (arod13tb@yahoo.com and anthony.baldwin@navy.mil)

Tony

3arod13
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.\

You're correct! That's Arod's sister Suzy in the background.

joelsabi
10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
\

You're correct! That's Arod's sister Suzy in the background.

Did you know this or you just verified this?

3arod13
10-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Did you know this or you just verified this?

Didn't even notice her in the background. Only adds to the photograph.

joelsabi
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
There was a Alex Rodriguez baseball on ebay that was caught as a foul ball and was a National League ball. The president on the ball was William White. so that would date it back to 1994.

I guess my question is if there are special balls for Spring Training or do they use Official League Balls.

I am thinking if they do not use special balls then maybe they use both american or national league balls for interleague games in spring training and that they use National League balls at the game if the designated home team is a National League team.

Hope someone can share light on this. I thought I saw special spring training balls in recent years.

Anyways the seller took the item off ebay and sold it to someone. I hope it is you Tony (aka 3arod13) if they use National League balls in spring training.

Joel

ballhawknet
01-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Having gone to hundreds of Spring games they have followed the normal American/National League use for the home team. Of course they both use the same Selig balls now , and except for a few occasions I have never seen a special ball used for the games. BP is a different story .

You can stop reading now unless you want to hear some of the few occasions :)

A few times in Spring training I caught balls that could not be identified . I mean they were beat to hell . And one weighed 6+ounces . ( no it wasnt raining that day. )

ST. Once I caught a pearl ....perfect , white unrubbed game homerun. No bat mark either . Could have put it in a box and returned it to the sporting goods store !!

First homerun to be hit out of Wrigley Field in 2000 was in fact an old
National League ball. I was pissed. Been looking forward to the new Selig ball all Spring and here the Cubs were using old stock. I actually called
Rawlings to informed them , and they were surprised to hear about it and said they would look into it.

Lastly , late in 2005 Garciapparra hit one out of Wrigley during the game and it was an 2005 Detoit All-Star ball . Thinking this must be a mistake , as we get all sorts of different balls now and then maybe one just slipped in somehow, a few innings later Burnitz launched one onto Sheffield and again it was a All Star Ball.

I think I finnally found out why the Cubs were using the all star balls this day but Id like to see if someone can figure it out .........there may be a prize involved ! It does have to do with Detorit Tigers .

joelsabi
01-22-2008, 12:23 AM
[quote=ballhawknet;68946]Having gone to hundreds of Spring games they have followed the normal American/National League use for the home team.
quote]

Kewl. Thanks for your input ballhawk. Another ball I didnt know I was looking for. Little too slow on my investigation to get the item this time but I now have the facts. For some reason lots of early signed Alex Rodriguez baseballs coming out of the woodworks.

3arod13
01-22-2008, 04:51 AM
i think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.

Joel,

Email me a pic of the high school program that shows what the ring looks like.

Thanks, Tony

joelsabi
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Joel,

Thanks, Tony

I will post it here if i get my camera to work. I take 8 photos and it wants new batteries. hahaha . The baseball program has a shot of the ring on the back cover of the program.

3arod13
01-24-2008, 04:50 AM
I will post it here if i get my camera to work. I take 8 photos and it wants new batteries. hahaha . The baseball program has a shot of the ring on the back cover of the program.

Joel, thanks! On another note, I will be posting pictures of something I recently obtained. This is the final piece of something I never thought or could believe would be possible.

Tony

joelsabi
02-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Joel,

Thanks, Tony

Tony

Here is the back cover with the ring.