X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Rawling Baseball Production

Cannot believe I stumped this whole group

Does anyone know the MLB practice for transition of baseballs to a new league president?

Here is the scenario.

AL owners elect Gene Budig as league president‚ replacing Bobby Brown, on June 8, 1994.

Alex Rodriguez debut in the majors on July 8, 1994.

My question is what ball did Alex Rodriguez see in his first at bat:
    a) A Bobby Brown American League Ball
    b) A Gene Budig American League Ball

I guess my question is does anyone know if they start producing the new balls with the new American League President during the season or do they wait for the following year.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • AstrosCollector
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Re: Rawling Baseball Production

I would assume that they would not produce the new baseballs until the following season.

Comment

• 3arod13
      • Apr 2006

In Chronological Order
      NameTerm
      B. Bancroft "Ban" Johnson
      1901 to 1927
      Ernest S. Barnard
      1927 to 1931
      William Harridge
      1931 to 1959
      Joseph E. "Joe" Cronin
      1959 to 1973
      Leland S. MacPhail, Jr.
      1974 to 1984
      Robert W. Brown
      1984 to 1994
      Gene A. Budig
      1994 to 1999
      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by AstrosCollector
        I would assume that they would not produce the new baseballs until the following season.
        You are correct!
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
          Cannot believe I stumped this whole group
          You will never stup this whole group. The answer will show up sooner or later.

Gene Budig baseballs came into use in 1995
          Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• 3arod13
            • Apr 2006

Factor Four The item that the signatures are signed on will also determine the price. It could also aid in determining if the signature is authentic. Was the item signed produced during the players life time? In the example of a signed baseball. Take note of the league president on the ball. Mickey Mantle signed very few Gene Budig baseballs which came into use in 1995, the year Mantle died. He was also very ill that year and didn't sign often. Although it is possible to have one it is unlikely, and should at least send up a red flag.

Source: http://keymancollectibles.com/keymanletter6.htm
            Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• ironmanfan
              • Sep 2005

I have a game used ball from August 1, 1994 which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2000th consecutive game in Minneapolis & it is a Bobby Brown ball.

Comment

• joelsabi
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by 3arod13
                You will never stup this whole group. The answer will show up sooner or later.

Gene Budig baseballs came into use in 1995

I didnt think would stump the group but gave a motivational statement to get an answer.

My hunch is the same as the first response since the transition was at the end of the year. the ripken ball example verifies that this correct.

actually your ball was the reason for the question as am actively look for one.

I have found 3 other arod balls with bobby brown. I found one similar to yours in a hall of fame collectors collection and two on ebay but the autograph looks like his autograph in 1996. Also saw an identical signature ball but on a budig ball but was wondering if i should settle for this or search longer for a bobby brown ball.

this discussion leads to think i want a bobby brown ball.

thanks for everyone's input.

PS. 3arod13 is your arod ball for sale any time soon? also i think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.
                Regards,
                Joel S.
                joelsabi @ gmail.com
                Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ironmanfan
                  I have a game used ball from August 1, 1994 which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2000th consecutive game in Minneapolis & it is a Bobby Brown ball.

the concrete evidence i needed. thanks
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                    • Aug 2005

Factor Four The item that the signatures are signed on will also determine the price. It could also aid in determining if the signature is authentic. Was the item signed produced during the players life time? In the example of a signed baseball. Take note of the league president on the ball. Mickey Mantle signed very few Gene Budig baseballs which came into use in 1995, the year Mantle died. He was also very ill that year and didn't sign often. Although it is possible to have one it is unlikely, and should at least send up a red flag.

Source: http://keymancollectibles.com/keymanletter6.htm
                    Great reference website.
                    I guess a Fifth Factor would be mismatching. If Alex Rodriguez never saw a Bobby Brown baseball in his professional career than this would be a mismatch. The signature would be authentic but on a mismatxh ball. Another example is have Arod's signature on a RON league ball but then again thats now thats possible with interleague play.
                    Regards,
                    Joel S.
                    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

I think Justin works for Rawlings.

According to the manufacturer records that I have on file, Budig balls were not produced until 1995. Hope this helps.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                        • Apr 2006

I didnt think would stump the group but gave a motivational statement to get an answer.

My hunch is the same as the first response since the transition was at the end of the year. the ripken ball example verifies that this correct.

actually your ball was the reason for the question as am actively look for one.

I have found 3 other arod balls with bobby brown. I found one similar to yours in a hall of fame collectors collection and two on ebay but the autograph looks like his autograph in 1996. Also saw an identical signature ball but on a budig ball but was wondering if i should settle for this or search longer for a bobby brown ball.

this discussion leads to think i want a bobby brown ball.

thanks for everyone's input.

PS. 3arod13 is your arod ball for sale any time soon? also i think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.
                        email me at (arod13tb@yahoo.com and anthony.baldwin@navy.mil)

Tony
                        Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• 3arod13
                          • Apr 2006

I think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.
                          \

You're correct! That's Arod's sister Suzy in the background.
                          Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

\

You're correct! That's Arod's sister Suzy in the background.
                            Did you know this or you just verified this?
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Did you know this or you just verified this?
                              Didn't even notice her in the background. Only adds to the photograph.
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

Working...